Where do you buy your oil and what price?

Associate
50p a litre - Petronas Merc 5w30 229.51 (also have some 229.5)
Got about 10 x 5 litres in the garage.:D

It's about 9 years old, has been tested and is still spot on.

Perk of my job i guess, i don't get that many.

Soldato
The idea of 0w-20 makes me cringe I am afraid. (And there are even thinner oils out there now)

It is like kerosene.

Is this really adequate as a lubricant for hundreds of thousands of heavy use, or is it driven mainly by the need to scrape a couple of Gm/Km off the CO2zzz and something just a bit thicker might actually be rather better if you want to get long life out of the engine.

My 287k Honda seems to be okay.

Soldato
Developments in oil quality, manufacting improvements allowing tighter bearing tolerances, wider bearing journals

Plenty of reason why there is nothing wrong with a 0w20 oil

Even so. there have been Many other "less than entirely beneficial" (*) developments in modern vehicle design that have been introduced in recent yeares because meeting the needs of the "Green Agenda" have been given a higher priority than meeting the long term needs of the owner.,

My suspicion is that Thin oils is likley to be yet another one such example and is very much one of those areas where it is likley to be a compromise between Book performance/Fuel Consumption and CO2zz on the one hand Vs durability on the other.

(* Other examples, No spare wheels, No Jacks, smaller capacity cooling systems and oil pans, smaller capacity windscreen wash bottles, and so on. All to keep weight down and save CO2zzz)

I will believe it when I see a 0w-20 (Or even 0w-17, the lowest I have heard of so far) engine that is 15 years old on its fifth owner and with 200,000 miles on it.

And yes, I know that bearing clearances are much tighter than they used to be. But one has to question whether one might be able to have too much of a good thing there too. After all. the only reasons why it is possible to get away with such thin oils is because the engines are so tight to start off with. And the only reason why engines have to be that tight are so that very thin oils can be used (Sort of a circular logic thing)

My 287k Honda seems to be okay.

I would (And am) be happy to be proved wrong in this. It is just that, as I suggested earlier, I do not have great confidence in the priories of current vehicle engineering.

Almost all (IME) of the really expensive issues that can affect modern cars seem to me to be related to the parts of the machine that have been required to meet an environmental/green agenda rather than a long term reliability one...

Soldato
I give mine to the VW garage and they do it..... I used to do all my car maintenance when i owned my Honda but i just dont have time for it now.

Soldato
Sad times. Hopefully not needing too much to get her going again. Mine just needs front discs/pads put on and some TREs (probably an advisory currently).

My DC2 has been off the road since 2015 :(

Probably wants nothing other than a service with the Honda green oil I used in the CRZ. SAE rating is something like 0w-16!

Rear tyre keeps going flat too.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I always just buy mine at the main dealer, approx £20 per 5L at Mercedes. It seems logical to me to just use the OEM oil which they would supply at an official service.

Back
Top Bottom