Looking for a smart thermostat

Soldato
I'm looking for a thermostat to replace our current wall mounted stat. Integration with Google Assistant is required.

I've Googled a bit, but there seems to be a lot of different models; I don't need separate heating and hot water control, really just a switch for the boiler.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
@Matthew.M which model are you using?

I have the original Nest Learning thermostat. Had it a few years now and it’s improved a lot through software updates. It used to be a bit flakey tracking our phones when we leave the house but now it’s quite reliable switching to away mode (shuts off the heating when we’re out to save energy).

It does NOT save any money on bills though. Ours are roughly 25% higher. Too cold? “Ok google, set the temperature to 21 degrees...” In bed feeling chilly and don’t want to speak and wake the other half up? Get the phone app out and crank it up. On holiday for a week and the house is ice cold? Turn the heating on half a day before I get home whereas previously we’d switch it on after walking in the door. Has the temperature suddenly dropped to -5 overnight? The heating will come on an hour earlier than usual to ensure the house is at target for when my alarm goes off.

Great gadget for comfort but it hasn’t saved us anything at all.

Soldato

As above - the convenience makes you use/abuse it more, where as in the past you would have thought, sod it i'm comfy where i am.

I wouldn't never go back though - makes life that little more comfortable/convenient and that's what matters.

Soldato
OP
I bought the Nest. Seems fine so far.

I assume if I switch heating up every morning at say 06:30 then it'll learn to switch it on for me a little earlier than that? Or do I need to set a routine?

Also, I think the design of the bottom strip is really poor. It looks like there's a protective film to take off, but there isn't. I was picking around the edges with my nail for ages, and now it's all scratched. :mad:

Caporegime
I have the original Nest Learning thermostat. Had it a few years now and it’s improved a lot through software updates. It used to be a bit flakey tracking our phones when we leave the house but now it’s quite reliable switching to away mode (shuts off the heating when we’re out to save energy).

It does NOT save any money on bills though. Ours are roughly 25% higher. Too cold? “Ok google, set the temperature to 21 degrees...” In bed feeling chilly and don’t want to speak and wake the other half up? Get the phone app out and crank it up. On holiday for a week and the house is ice cold? Turn the heating on half a day before I get home whereas previously we’d switch it on after walking in the door. Has the temperature suddenly dropped to -5 overnight? The heating will come on an hour earlier than usual to ensure the house is at target for when my alarm goes off.

It's more for comfort than saving money.

Also why would you turn the heating on 12 hours before you get home? Should only take 3 hours maybe 5-6 in winter to get it to a decent temperature.

Also conversely if it's hotter than normal outside it will use less to get up to temperature.

it's not a money saving gadget it's more efficiency and comfort. The only way to save money is by turning the heating down which effects comfort levels or get loads of insulation and insulate everywhere you can.

Soldato
If it takes 3 hours to get your rooms up to temperature something is wrong.
I can have the whole house up to temp in around 30 minutes.

Soldato
I've also had a Nest pretty much since it launched and still think it's great. I would disagree about the money, though. I don't think personally we uses ours any more than our old thermostat, and the fact it turns off automatically etc is the real benefit. If you've ever been on holiday for a few days or a weekend and left your heating on a manual schedule then I'd pretty sure Nest would cover it's cost over a few years. I know our underfloor heating which has a separate thermostat is pretty much on all the time and certainly when we're away because we always forget to turn it off.

Soldato
even if it's minus 5 outside and you have been away on holiday for 2 weeks?
Yep, it will run the boiler flat out then slowly reduce the temp as the rooms reach there temperature, as the smaller rooms are hot enough they switch off so the bigger rooms reach temperature even faster.
Overall the whole house will get to temperature very quickly. Plus i have huge radiators.

Associate
bought a nest 3rd gen recently installed myself. really pleased with it it'll probably pay for itself in a couple of years in my saving as my old programmer was wildly inefficient as it was pretty basic and had no room thermostat to help control temps in the house.

Soldato
OP
Woah, I just discovered an interesting function.

I've got my hot water set to come on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I've noticed today that there's an icon that's yellow circle with a black droplet inside, and apparently it's this :

https://nest.com/uk/support/article...lp-prevent-Legionella-bacteria#Prevention-off

Are any of you using this with a water tank system? Are you aware of this?

I'm thinking I should maybe set my hot water to be on for 2 hours in the evening instead of just 1.

Associate
Nest can quite easily be self installed. Took me 30 minutes including removing my old stat.

NestE - £150
Nest Gen3 - £180
Tado - V3 Starter Kit £178
Tado - V2 (discontinued) Starter Kit £100

I do not see that being a lot cheaper unless you are happy to buy the discontinued model

Back
Top Bottom