Spec me Home security!

Associate
Due to my street being the target of 2 attempted break ins and one break in this week I’m looking to get some security.
Can anyone recommend a place to look at?
Not sure what to look for,

just want sensors and a keypad for the wall sort of job.

Do you pay outright for it all? I’ve seen pay monthly options also but is that on top of paying for the gear?
Also seen stand alone self set up kits?
I’ve no clue about any of this.
Thanks

Caporegime
Yale smart alarm will ping your phone and send you a photo if someone has broken in. You can then call the police and tell them there's people robbing your house.

They will then turn up 3 hours later.

Best thing is to stop them from getting in or targeting you.

Lots of security can be seen as he must have stuff worth nicking or no security can be seen as easy target for the dumb thief.

Associate
OP
I’m not sure why our street in particular has been targeted, maybe there are other streets as well. We’re a quiet scheme of new builds at the top of a hill but there’s maybe say 70 houses in the whole scheme and 3 of them on my street have been broken into this week alone. Luckily 2 of them were at home. I work 3/3 so it’s just my wife and baby which I want them to feel safe when I’m away.

Best thing is to stop them from getting in or targeting you.
Baseball bat style?:D

Could be a no win situation like you say leave it without and someone has a pot shot or be safe and secure and folk will wander what I have.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Basics like having any easy access doors and windows lit up (sensor lights, etc.) and don't give them easy access to enclosed side/rear of the house will help a lot and not leaving valuables in plain view.

Having security is nice and all but so often if an alarm goes off around here, etc. it is largely ignored.

Associate
OP
I’m usually quite cautious when it comes to stuff like that anyway. Every window has a blackout blind so nobody can see in, the gate that leads round the back of our house to the garden (6ft fence all round) is latched in the middle and has 2 deadbolts one top and one bottom, big padlock on the shed nothing near the front door or window sills for people to reach. Got a sensor light front and back as well. But if someone wants to break in they’ll still give it a go I’d assume!
It’s more to give my wife peace at mind really. I see all the siren boxes are massive though! would probably put it round the side of the house so people don’t see it without looking but it’ll still be there and working.

Soldato
Think about interior door locks and sirens too.

If they really want to get in they will, but once inside to find doors locked and deafening sirens, unless there's something they really want they'll be out pretty sharpish.

Soldato
majority of breakins are through doors and patio doors especially.

do you have upvc doors? if so get your euro cylinder changed for a 3 star and even better fit security handles at the same time

Associate
OP
We have a wood front door with the 5 latch locking mechanism and upvc patio doors in the living room going out into the garden.
I’ll have a look at those handles

Man of Honour
majority of breakins are through doors and patio doors especially.

do you have upvc doors? if so get your euro cylinder changed for a 3 star and even better fit security handles at the same time

Had that on our road many years back - someone had tried to crowbar into the patio doors on several houses we assume the same night but didn't manage to break in - no one even noticed at first - a little bizarre.

Associate
If you have Patio doors, a 3 star eurocylinder will not stop a paving slab going through the glazing unit. Contrary to popular belief Joe Scrote isn’t about defeating locks, he’s about brute force and the path of least resistance. Tool of choice is often a large screwdriver and some muscle. Security needs to be layered, physical, psychological, proactive and reactive. Making life hard and unattractive is half the battle. Ultimately unless you go for high security doors and shutters they will get in if they really want to.

Back
Top Bottom