Project; Turbo GSXR Slingshot

Associate
OP
IC3 will be happier with the exhaust now!

20181222-161452.jpg

Decided I really need ride this more this year so I've gone back to the working tune using tps/rpm and allowed the wideband to auto correct up to 60%.

The battery has been playing up recently so I've gave it a good charge and hopefully it'll be ok. Need to book an mot on Monday then get some miles on it.

Associate
OP
The battery didn't hold charge overnight so ordered a new one.
Also ordered a pair of mirrors to replace the single mirror that folds in all the time!

While the battery was low I decided to set the injector dead time correction even though it should have been done. The bike idles smoother now and stays running with the battery at 10v which is about when to used to go lumpy and die.

Also got the fairing lowers trimmed around the exhaust, clutch cover and oil lines. They're not brilliant as they've been cut before but they're on.

Associate
OP
Passed the mot fine as usual. Taxed it after and went a longer way home.

Didn't like traffic which is normal but it died a couple of time when coming to a stop. Seemed better after some boost on the open road but rpm was still dropping low so decided to have a look at the idle control.

Set that up now so it'll alter ignition timing a little to maintain the correct idle speed. Maintains a nice idle so will see how it is next time out.
May also help cold starts as it always like a touch of throttle until coolant gets to about 40 degrees.

Associate
OP
With my 1 cold start a day I've managed to get it to start, warm up, and restart from hot with no throttle.

It likes the ignition timing about 17 degrees when its cold, dropping to 12 once the coolant is at 40 degrees. Fuel enrichment has stayed the same.

Not quite as easy as setting a simple warm up ignition map. Under idle control there are 2 tables that control the ignition timing, one is coolant based and the other rpm.

They don't quite allow the engine to reach the target rpm so I need to dig a little deeper but it's a positive step.

Cranking timing was 0 degrees so played with that a little and it's happy at 16 from every temperature I've tried.

Need to ride it now to see if it's cured it's habit to cut out when it comes to a stop.

Associate
OP
Had a ride out to Caffeine & Machine today, didn't realise it was a Built Not Bought meet but I think the bike fitted in fine!
Seemed to get a bit of attention when I left but it isn't exactly quiet.

Rides much better but it's still a bit lumpy through towns/villages. Developed a ticking noise from the top end near home which is a little worrying but hopefully it's just a header bolt came loose again.
I'll check it out tomorrow.

Associate
OP
So it was Rugby Bikefest today and we decided to actually go on bikes this year, we normally just go up for a few beers.

20190519-095830.jpg

Wasn't the nicest ride in to be honest, we barely rode more than 30mph and the bike got very hot. Made it through town though and I only had to push it the last 20m or so to park up, arrived with toasty legs!

Worked out a rough mpg over the last 109 miles, I've used a 20L jerry can to refuel at home and last night I finished it off to about a full tank, works out at 24mpg!

Associate
OP
Did you keep these headers after deciding to not use them? I'd be interested in buying them if possible!

Bit of a thread revival!
They got cut up and used for headers version 3 or something like that, I'm sure some of it is back on the bike anyway.

As a 3 year update to the thread, the bike has been sitting for about 3 years now and there's no sign of it going back on the road anytime soon.
I moved to mid Wales late 2019 and work on the house took over, early last year my partner left and it took most of last year to sort finances etc and buy her out.

I'm obviously broke now and as I'm self employed I'm waiting for work locally to pick up to a point I have a steady and reliable income.
I still have the DR350 and DR800 on the road for my 2 wheel fix but every other bike/project is up for sale. Except the turbo!

Long term it needs a lot of loose ends tidying up and making a bit more rideable. I also need to find a reliable tuner but that's easier said than done.

Associate
Bit of a thread revival!
They got cut up and used for headers version 3 or something like that, I'm sure some of it is back on the bike anyway.

As a 3 year update to the thread, the bike has been sitting for about 3 years now and there's no sign of it going back on the road anytime soon.
I moved to mid Wales late 2019 and work on the house took over, early last year my partner left and it took most of last year to sort finances etc and buy her out.

I'm obviously broke now and as I'm self employed I'm waiting for work locally to pick up to a point I have a steady and reliable income.
I still have the DR350 and DR800 on the road for my 2 wheel fix but every other bike/project is up for sale. Except the turbo!

Long term it needs a lot of loose ends tidying up and making a bit more rideable. I also need to find a reliable tuner but that's easier said than done.
Ah well, looks like I'll have a crack at making my own. Made an n/a set of pie cut headers/full exahust previously but fancy going turbo with this one... Recon I'll mirror your design to hang a turbo off the rh side of the bike. It's a fighter so no need to try and hide anything.

Back
Top Bottom