WIP CP-1 Space Sim Pod (picture heavy)

Associate
Space/Flight sim pod (WIP):

Please note that this is currently WIP and stalled for a short time due to my daughter becoming very ill. I'm hoping to pick it up again soon.

Materials and Tools:

List of materials:

Wood Strips
Backing board
Hardwood
Screws / Bolts
Rubber sheet
Blackboard vinyl
Acrylic
Artwork
Cabling / Neutrik connectors
Velcro
Aluminium plate, strips, edging
Mesh
Leather material
Paint and Varnish
Accessories (various badges and stickers)
Glues (wood / epoxy / contact)
LEDs
Wire Switches Connectors

Tools:

Workbench
Clamps
Router
Jigsaw
Power drill / driver
Foam roller

I always wanted a dedicated space for flight sims so when Elite Dangerous came along, I decided to start on one. This is more space sim than flight sim though. I will use this with a Rift when the consumer version becomes available.

I wanted to build something suitable spacey so elected to build my own seat rather than buying one. This also allowed me to chose the exact design I wanted to achieve. It was a very interesting and long winded process but quite satisfying also.

The basic seat shape was built with a lot of time cutting and re-cutting the shape until I felt it would be comfortable. The angled/split upper section was essential to get this right.

I then set about making the paneling and padding for the seat, each piece cut to size and upholstered in grey leather vinyl. I wanted to achieve something similar to the aesthetic used in 2001:

Whilst making progress with this, I also made the cases for the Warthog HOTAS - I wanted something in-keeping with the design rather than taking the simple option and mounting them as they were:

The main sections were covered in vinyl and an E: D badge embedded into the upper case section:

The throttle and stick cases will be attached to the side pods of the seat:

The side pods were then built which are to be attached to the sides of the main seat. They have pulsing LEDs on the rear sections:

Similar to the R-Pod design, these incorporate ribbed rubber, mesh and artwork behind acrylic:

The remaining seat paneling was completed:

A section for a stowable console was also built into the design:

The sides were made, again using embedded aluminium tubing:

The last pieces to be made were the panels to attach to the sides of the seat. An ejector seat panel with integrated LEDs and cap bolts for a more military look:

A digital display / grab handle panel for the upper shoulder area:

The stowable console is WIP but has a retractable mechanism to accommodate an iPad mini:

Work has started on the headrest section:

Current state of the build:

There's obviously quite a bit to do to complete including a base, complete the headrest and fabricate mechanism for the rudder pedals.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
After having 12 month of serious family related issues to attend to, I'm finding time to get back on this project again.

Having had a lot of time to think about getting everything as sensibly configured and comfortable as possible, I re-evaluated the control boxes for the HOTAS. Whilst I was very happy with these from a design perspective, I've always considered these too wide to be practical and look somewhat awkward sat on the side pods. Time to consider slimming things down. In order to make the throttle fit in, it needed to be de-warthog'ed. The fascia panels were the primary issue so I thought about making another cover. I considered that it would be too complicated to undertake so I decided to figure out how they were attacked. It turns out they're simply stuck down. After carefully peeling them off, I covered them with vinyl and trimmed to shape and painted around the acrylic edges with matt black paint. After a minor fiasco involving kicking half a pot of paint on the floor followed by 20 mins of cleaning up, I ended up with this:

Lower panel removed and covered with vinyl:

Panels re-attached to the throttle:

This may be helpful for anyone who simply wants to make their Warthog throttle more generic.

I'll be making some custom labels for it at some point.

Associate
Never really gotten into flight sim games, but as an engineer can appreciate all the hard work going into this, well done!

How do you go about crafting all the mdf? Do you have a simple CNC router or similar, or do you do it all by hand? And what about all the dust, is that done outside?

Associate
OP
Never really gotten into flight sim games, but as an engineer can appreciate all the hard work going into this, well done!

How do you go about crafting all the mdf? Do you have a simple CNC router or similar, or do you do it all by hand? And what about all the dust, is that done outside?

Thanks for that :) It's all done by hand, outside with a respirator.

I love stuff like this - well done sir!

Thank you sir!

Associate
Shame you never had opportunity to finish this off although I guess there was still loads to do?

Really good stuff though. Do you do this sort of thing (carpentry) as your day job?

Back
Top Bottom