LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
That's actually one of the reasons why I'd rather get a FreeSync version of this monitor, and save the G-Sync tax, which I know is better but I wouldn't really take advantage of anyway. I just want the 144Hz+ @ 3840x1600 more than I want adaptive sync… ;)

It's funny. I see it the exact opposite way around. To my eyes, high DPI and high refresh rates are absolutely worthless without some form of adaptive sync. I used to play everything with V-SYNC enabled, and while that eliminated the tearing it made everything jittery. To me, a high end monitor that forgoes employing adaptive sync (either G-SYNC or FreeSync is fine) is like an Aston Martin with a Fiat 500 engine.

The only way I'd ever see that differently is if I tended to play games where my rig easily met and consistently matched my monitors maximum refresh rate (gives you the same effect as if you had adaptive sync), but I can't achieve that with my rig and the games I play. :(

Associate
It's funny. I see it the exact opposite way around. To my eyes, high DPI and high refresh rates are absolutely worthless without some form of adaptive sync. I used to play everything with V-SYNC enabled, and while that eliminated the tearing it made everything jittery. To me, a high end monitor that forgoes employing adaptive sync (either G-SYNC or FreeSync is fine) is like an Aston Martin with a Fiat 500 engine.

The only way I'd ever see that differently is if I tended to play games where my rig easily met and consistently matched my monitors maximum refresh rate (gives you the same effect as if you had adaptive sync), but I can't achieve that with my rig and the games I play. :(

Well, the only games where I *actually* care about > 60fps are mostly competitive FPS (where V-Sync is a big NO-NO), and my rig (OC'ed 7900X+1080Ti) can easily keep up with 144Hz, especially since I lower the settings on most of them for competitive reasons… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sure: it'll be nice running "fancy" games at 100+ fps, but it's not as critical for me, personally. I totally understand your perspective, though… :)

Associate
Well, the only games where I *actually* care about > 60fps are mostly competitive FPS (where V-Sync is a big NO-NO), and my rig (OC'ed 7900X+1080Ti) can easily keep up with 144Hz, especially since I lower the settings on most of them for competitive reasons… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sure: it'll be nice running "fancy" games at 100+ fps, but it's not as critical for me, personally. I totally understand your perspective, though… :)

Well, I certainly understand the second part of your argument. That makes sense.

I guess I don't get the first part. I'd say it's exactly in those situations when you don't care about or can't consistently achieve 144 Hz that adaptive sync provides the biggest benefit. It's when my FPS counter bounces around between 50 Hz and 100 Hz where I appreciate it most.

If you spend most of your game-time playing competitive FP shooters with simple and fast graphics, then I see how adaptive sync doesn't really matter. If a significant portion of your game-time still goes towards the fancy and slow stuff, then wouldn't you want a working adaptive sync solution?

Last edited:
Associate
From what I can see its July/August for release - albeit this is not 100% set, but I will see what I can find out (this info I provide will be for the UK)

glad you are happy with the 950F - I heard that it worked very well with the driver but of course there isn't an official statement yet

Dan, now that spring is in full-swing, this monitor still looking like July/August?

Man of Honour
There’s no way it’s going to be Q2. My bet is Q4. No specific reference for that, just seems likely given it’s high end features and the delays there’s been in recent years on top end screens

Soldato
There’s no way it’s going to be Q2. My bet is Q4. No specific reference for that, just seems likely given it’s high end features and the delays there’s been in recent years on top end screens

Yes people are wayyyyy too optimistic with release dates haha. Probably 2020 I would not be surprised.

Associate
@Daniel - LG

Just reposting this so it isn't forgotten. This is the summary of the questions you wanted (all of which still need answers) :

1. Can you confirm the July/August release date for the UK?
  2. On LG's web page for the 38GL950G, one of the key features mentioned is NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible. LG's plaque at CES 2019 mentioned only G-SYNC. As we've since learned, those are two different things. A G-SYNC Compatible certified monitor lacks the G-SYNC hardware, meaning it's actually a VESA adaptive sync (a.k.a FreeSync) monitor. Which of those two is correct? Is it real G-SYNC, or will it be G-SYNC Compatible certified?
  3. IF the 38GL950G is a real G-SYNC monitor (NOT G-SYNC Compatible), will LG eventually release an "F" VERSION?
  4. IF the 38GL950G is a real G-SYNC monitor (NOT G-SYNC Compatible), will it require a fan/blower to cool the v2 G-SYNC module (like Acer's X27 or Asus' PG27UQ)?
  5. Any new info on eventual HDR support?

Soldato
OP
This won't be Q2 or even Q3 I suspect, definitely Q4 and may even slip into 2020, based on past form from LG and every other major monitor release of the past few years. I'd like to be wrong, but everyone should expect the worst here.

Permabanned
if its going to cost 2k$ and the quality control is still going to be poor like with the 34GK950G-B then LG is going to have a problem.

Associate
@Daniel - LG

Just reposting this so it isn't forgotten. This is the summary of the questions you wanted (all of which still need answers) :

1. Can you confirm the July/August release date for the UK?
  2. On LG's web page for the 38GL950G, one of the key features mentioned is NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible. LG's plaque at CES 2019 mentioned only G-SYNC. As we've since learned, those are two different things. A G-SYNC Compatible certified monitor lacks the G-SYNC hardware, meaning it's actually a VESA adaptive sync (a.k.a FreeSync) monitor. Which of those two is correct? Is it real G-SYNC, or will it be G-SYNC Compatible certified?
  3. IF the 38GL950G is a real G-SYNC monitor (NOT G-SYNC Compatible), will LG eventually release an "F" VERSION?
  4. IF the 38GL950G is a real G-SYNC monitor (NOT G-SYNC Compatible), will it require a fan/blower to cool the v2 G-SYNC module (like Acer's X27 or Asus' PG27UQ)?
  5. Any new info on eventual HDR support?

I can answer two of those questions, in fact number 2-3.
It has to be the real deal (hardware wise) as this monitor was annonunced (december 2018), before Nvidia made freesync compatible with G-sync drivers in january of 2019.
But this monitor is also gonna be released as a Freesync version (G-sync compatible), which will mostly likely support HDR600 (If LG havent changed their mind), but we still dont know much about it, as LG only choose to reveal the G-sync version so far.

Associate
Thinking this is going to be my first monitor in the last 4 years and upgrade from my day one Acer X34

I am in the same situation, will be upgrading my 34" as well! Hopefully sometime in Q2, as LG have stated that it is "coming soon".
Source: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

Though I am of course going for the freesync version, that should have a much better price point and that sweet HDR600. Expect it to cost around 1200-1600$.

Associate
It has to be the real deal (hardware wise) as this monitor was annonunced (december 2018), before Nvidia made freesync compatible with G-sync drivers in january of 2019.
That makes no sense to me. You realize that nVidia's monitor partners are informed of nVidia's monitor related plans long before the public is, right?

How do you know this monitor wasn't intended to be a "G-Sync Compatible" monitor from the very start, and it initially being labeled only "G-sync" wasn't one of LG's typical spec sheet screw ups?

Or... How do you know LG didn't intentionally omit the "Compatible" part because they were still under NDA with nVidia, adding that to the website spec sheet only after nVidia made it official?

What source do you have which rules out the above?

But this monitor is also gonna be released as a Freesync version (G-sync compatible), which will mostly likely support HDR600 (If LG havent changed their mind)
Again, source?

IMHO not all of that makes sense either. Basically, those expecting this monitor to come in two versions, one with real G-sync and the other with FreeSync/G-sync Compatible, with only the later supporting DisplayHDR 600, are wrong (because the real G-sync version would use the v2 module). Either both will or neither will have HDR support... or there might be only one version of this monitor (which I currently think is more likely).

Last edited:
Associate
Again, source?

IMHO not all of that makes sense either. Basically, those expecting this monitor to come in two versions, one with real G-sync and the other with FreeSync/G-sync Compatible, with only the later supporting DisplayHDR 600, are wrong (because the real G-sync version would use the v2 module). Either both will or neither will have HDR support... or there might be only one version of this monitor (which I currently think is more likely).

My source: https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors-in-2019/
Wont be only one version of this panel, if LG havent changed their mind.

Associate

This is what displayninja actually said about a hypothetical FreeSync + DisplayHDR 600 variant:

There will likely be a FreeSync model of this monitor which would fit (spec-wise) the previously mentioned 38″ Nano IPS panel with DisplayHDR 600.

In regard to HDR:

Note that they don't actually say it will support DisplayHDR 600. They simply point to another panel with a DisplayHDR 600 rating and then mistakenly surmise that the 38GL950G's panel will have similar enough specs to achieve the same. That's speculation and very poor speculation at that. Why? For instance, in the paragraph preceeding it, displayninja states the following:

LG announced the LG 38GL950G ... with a peak brightness of 450-nits

As you correctly implied, two monitors being variants of each other mean they use the same panel. The panel determines peak brightness. However, a panel with 450 nits peak brightness can't achieve a VESA DisplayHDR 600 rating. Displayninja contradicts itself within two paragraphs. Either the FreeSync variant isn't a real variant because it uses a different panel (highly unlikley), or neither variant will support DisplayHDR 600 due to an insufficiently bright backlight (far more likely).

In regard to the FreeSync variant:

I'd say you've misquoted. They speculated that "there will likely be a FreeSync model", which is entirely different from you saying "there won't be only one version of this panel".

Even if you had accurately quoted them, I'd still consider it meaningless, as the folks at displayninja are just a bunch of plagiarizing technical know-nothings who shouldn't be considered a trustworthy source for anything. Compare that to some of the really good sites like PCmonitors, TFTCentral or Anandtech and I'm sure you'll notice what I mean. Displayninja can rarely get through a single paragraph without making mistakes. In this case there are multiple examples in the exact same paragraph, like this one:

So far, it looks like the LG 38GL950G won’t feature HDR as NVIDIA has more demanding requirements for G-SYNC HDR

It's difficult to sufficiently twist the meanings of those words so as to arrive at a sentence we might consider accurate. Whatever displayninja wanted to say, I'm pretty sure monitors like the XB273K, which combine G-SYNC and DisplayHDR 400, prove that nVidia doesn't have "more demanding requirements" for HDR than anyone else does. Most would argue that DisplayHDR 400 is such a low bar that marketing it as HDR should be illegal to begin with.

In summary, all we have here is misinformation and some speculation. I don't think that counts for anything really. Most importantly, none of it speaks to the issues I raised in regard to this monitor being G-SYNC vs FreeSync/G-SYNC Compatible.

I'm not attacking you with any of this. You simply misquoted, which isn't a big deal. If I'm pointing a finger at anyone it's displayninja.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

That website isn't a "source"... it's a guy writing stuff on his website, which anyone can do lol! Where's he getting his info from? As a5cent mentions, this could still just be G-Sync 'compatible' (i.e Freesync), but there are arguments (and evidence) for both possibilities. We just won't know for sure until closer to launch. Even if full fat G-Sync is the intention though, LG could change their mind on this if they discover the monitor is going to come in crazy expensive. A Freesync version will undoubtedly be cheaper and they may see more business sense in going with that alone... we shall see. There is no denying the fact that now Nvidia supports Freesync, there is a much more level playing field between a G-Sync and Freesync monitor... yet one is still going to be far more expensive.

As to HDR, Daniel from LG has confirmed in this thread that the panel is 450nits... he's a more reliable source than that website you've quoted. If that's the case, this monitor is effectively usless for HDR content, and should be disregarded for anyone looking for this functionality.

Back
Top Bottom