New pc making weird noise, help?

Soldato
Complete system spec - including PSU brand/model?

If i'm hearing it right - it sounds like a poor quality/misaligned fan spinning fast. Can you at least pinpoint the general location of the noise with the side panel off?

Soldato
My CPU temp is 32. GPU is 38. I cant pinpoint the location of the sound as its such a high frequency.
I didn't pick that up - but it's probably coil whine.

Concentrate your ears on the GPU and PSU.

Is it an AMD/Radeon card?

Soldato
Here is the build config, but I have the asus 1060 instead of the zotac: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...n32Y0bCds32Y6bCdt33X-bCdA32Y+bCdB32XwbCld3384
Well, if you didn't specify a different PSU it will definitely be Kolink 600W in there. (And with it some poor random dolls head - private joke, ignore)

As for the noise 'i' could hear - i'm guessing it's all your case fans - if it's as noisy as it sounds you may want to adjust your fan curve.

As for the coil whine - the odds are it's the PSU (but could be the GPU) - you would ideally try and isolate this if you can before contacting OcUK. Kids are great at locating high pitch noises as they have a greater frequency range.

Associate
OP
Well, if you didn't specify a different PSU it will definitely be Kolink 600W in there. (And with it some poor random dolls head - private joke, ignore)

As for the noise 'i' could hear - i'm guessing it's all your case fans - if it's as noisy as it sounds you may want to adjust your fan curve.

As for the coil whine - the odds are it's the PSU (but could be the GPU) - you would ideally try and isolate this if you can before contacting OcUK. Kids are great at locating high pitch noises as they have a greater frequency range.
Thanks for the help, is the Kolink PSU really that bad? Should I replace it?

Soldato
Thanks for the help, is the Kolink PSU really that bad? Should I replace it?
Yep, i'm going to regret that joke.

In short yes they are (they're a budget PSU) - if it does prove to be the PSU at fault - and coil whine is a justifiable cause for return - ask them to upgrade it to this. They may do it for free or even meet you half way:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Or a the below 550W would still power your spec comfortably:
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Or, keep it and upgrade the PSU a couple of months before your guarantee runs out.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's an ASUS strix 1060 6gb. I'll try and locate it again
Cardboard tube or any such tube is helpfull for locating sound sources.

High frequencies would be caused by electronics.
While lower frequencies are mechanical in their sources.
For example 7200rpm HDD has primary frequency at 120Hz.

Now in case of this recording besides those usual lower frequency mechanical noises there's ~570-580 Hz spike, which is just unlikely high frequency for mechanical component.
Even if counting in fan having multiple blades.
upload

I guess it's that soiund you're hearing.

Have you observed if there's change in that depending on what you're doing with computer?
(for examply try playing back some video in youtube etc)

Associate
OP
Cardboard tube or any such tube is helpfull for locating sound sources.

High frequencies would be caused by electronics.
While lower frequencies are mechanical in their sources.
For example 7200rpm HDD has primary frequency at 120Hz.

Now in case of this recording besides those usual lower frequency mechanical noises there's ~570-580 Hz spike, which is just unlikely high frequency for mechanical component.
Even if counting in fan having multiple blades.
upload

I guess it's that soiund you're hearing.

Have you observed if there's change in that depending on what you're doing with computer?
(for examply try playing back some video in youtube etc)
Just had another listen and the sound seems to stop when i stop the front bottom fan. How do I disconnect just this fan? Would it be dangerous?

EDIT: It's 100% the damn case fans, both of them together seem to be creating the noise

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had another listen and the sound seems to stop when i stop the front bottom fan. How do I disconnect just this fan? Would it be dangerous?
Perfectly safe to disconnect - just follow the lead to the header/splitter lead that should be on the board (if it's connected that way). Or, from the sound of the fan nose - plugged straight in to a molex if it has that connection option too.

Are all your fans running at full throttle?

Associate
OP
Perfectly safe to disconnect - just follow the lead to the header/splitter lead that should be on the board (if it's connected that way). Or, from the sound of the fan nose - plugged straight in to a molex if it has that connection option too.

Are all your fans running at full throttle?
I’ll try this when I get back home. There’s a hub behind the side panel of the case. With plugs labelled with “fan 1” etc. Could this be where I disconnect the fans? Also, will having them disconnected permanently cause any issues? There a ton of space inside the case. The fans are at constant full throttle.

Soldato
I’ll try this when I get back home. There’s a hub behind the side panel of the case. With plugs labelled with “fan 1” etc. Could this be where I disconnect the fans? Also, will having them disconnected permanently cause any issues? There a ton of space inside the case. The fans are at constant full throttle.
Only disconnect the troublesome fan from the hub - you will need airflow into the case and the other two (front and rear) at full throttle will suffice for now.

You need to set up a curve for your fans (surprised it wasn't shipped that way - unless not possible. I need to check your case.) - so they spin slowly when idle and steadily ramp up the RPM as the system becomes warmer.

For example my fans idle at ~25%, possibly lower, (silent) when working/browsing etc and then slowly speed up when required - but never full throttle even under heavy load - but different system/cooler/setup etc... but you get my point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not finding much info on the fan controller, but what i have seen indicates that it only controls the RGB not the speed.

Is there any info in the case manual about fan speed control?

I did find a video review on YouTube, but it's in German so no idea what is been said. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9eei0xgeQ ) Controller mentioned at 13.36 of that video.

Back
Top Bottom