Suggestions for depreciation resistant fun/interesting car @ up to £8k

Soldato
If you can find one that's worth having for £8k, this is where my money would go. You won't lose a penny on it unless you stick it in hedge.
i didn't actually read last paragraph.. he already had one so I guess s2k is off the cards.

you can still find them for around 8k, earlier ones, engines can take the miles if looked after so I'd say it's a "safe" buy.

Associate
I imported a DC5 last year for the same reasons - low depreciation, low running costs and fun to drive. Buy and maintain well and you may see some appreciation but I really feel that they’re at the top of their value right now, considering what else you can get for the money. Worth looking on the owners forum (as per usual!).

I’d just lost £12k over 2 years on a 3 series touring so a DC5 for less than that made perfect sense :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, I think you've all run into the same problem i have which is just too much choice for my given criteria :D

Budget wise, anything I add over/above the £8k will come out of new furniture fund which I can't really do at the moment as I'm literally moving house in 3 weeks.

S2000's are awesome cars but I've had 3 so time to try something new :) Had a 3L Z4 before also but just didn't gel with it. Gave some brief thought to a Z4 3.0si but didn't enjoy the last Z4 so I'm put off. Boxster is still a consideration but shame the 987 S isn't in budget.

DC5's I still can't get over the fact it's a much older car for the money as some of the other options and the perception that comes with it (I get a car allowance through work, technically most stuff of the age I'm looking at falls foul of the rules but the DC5 is most likely to be looked at I would imagine...)

335i I'm still tempted - there's a manual 1 owner car with full bmw service history for sale which is always a massive plus point, bit of a trek away though if I decide the car isn't for me...

650i still tempting, though the £570 a year tax is hard to stomach, again not much near me annoyingly so cant just have a quick poke around one.

Caporegime
If it's something for the summer. Lotus Elan M100.

Toyota Celica GT-Four. 8k will get you a decent example although wouldn't want to run as a daily even though they are reliable. Maintenance isn't cheap as it is all bespoke parts.

SLK 32AMG is a pretty rare beast as well.

Might even get a wide track STi for 8k?

Out of your list 8k would get a lovely 350z with the rev up engine and would be a decent daily.

Soldato
No! A 350z with Rev Up is not where to put your cash!

Either save money and get a nice early pre-April 2005 DE with cheaper tax, or go spendy on a HR.

We just sold an 82k 2004 GT in Orange for 5k on the nose, which was a decent return. Not perfect, but the mechanicals and suspension were spot on!

Caporegime
The thread is looking for such cars surely. They are holding their value because they weren’t replaced and still have a demand for them. Supply and demand of good ones is driving up prices.

The boxster is not a better car, also it has been supercede by several replacement models.

Scene tax is on crap cars I think that are about the image only. I personally can’t see how this applies to the S2000 which is well known for its credentials as a drivers car. Hardly an irrational reason

I wouldn’t say the M3 CSL has scene tax either

Caporegime
‘Scene tax is any extra cost tackedonto the price of a product as a direct result of the products reputation or "Scene", rather than redeeming qualities or actual worth. Most commonly seen in hipster fashion, guitar and bass amplifiers and many other instances, some styles are "revived" and sold at a high price when the exact same product would be worth much less and is potentially much cheaper elsewhere.’

Hardly applies here

Soldato
Scene tax is people paying fortunes for old Mk4 Golfs that were universally regarded as crap and the price of which will collapse the day someone decides slammed mk4s aren't the scene anymore.

An S2000 is on its way to becoming an appreciating classic and its value as such isn't reliant on a fad amongst a certain ownership group, just an appreciation of a great car that isn't made anymore.

Soldato
The 987 Boxster is also a great car that isn't made anymore, too.
But there is a new Boxster, which is made. That makes the 987 'an old Boxster', which you can simply buy a newer version of if you want.

You can't just go and buy the new version of the S2000 because such a thing doesn't exist.

Edit - The VW Transporter is another classic scene tax example. There is nothing about them that makes them better than a Transit but they command a stupid value for no reason other than having a cool 'scene' surrounding them.

Man of Honour
But there is a new Boxster, which is made. That makes the 987 'an old Boxster', which you can simply buy a newer version of if you want.

You can't just go and buy the new version of the S2000 because such a thing doesn't exist.

A car with the name 'Boxster' on the back is made, sure - but it's not a Flat Six 987.

Presumably with this logic we'd expect the Mk4 Supra to massively devalue in price now you can simply buy a new Supra?

Back
Top Bottom