New Star Trek series - 2017

Caporegime
They have all these ships coming for them, and self destruct is the only option? Has the spore drive (incredibly conveniently) broken down or did i miss something?:confused:

Also i see Stamets is still down over reminiscing about being fisted til the cows come home, and another gay character got shoehorned in, because a Female character saying she has a Wife apparently makes all the difference.

Soldato
Wouldn't make sense from a story point of view unless something happened that erases all of Control's prior knowledge as i'm pretty sure that they would be turning up on our doorstep again much sooner than they do in the other series.

The crashed pod plus damage sustained in the escape would reduce nanite numbers enough for their not to be enough of them to hold that much information, hence the more basic Borg assimilate, resistance is futile side...

Soldato
Some of the characters in this are really forgettable, i mean off the top of my head i don't even know the name of the person at the helm with the "augmented" eye and the black girl that sits to her right with the dreadlocks. :confused:

That's Detmer, and she's the only woman in the show I'd save if the ship was about to blow up and it meant we'd have to spend a few days marooned on a tropical planet (as long as it wasn't Ceti Alpha V of course).

One thing that really does my head in is that every time Tyler speaks I have Matt Berry saying "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango" in my head.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really enjoyed the episode, I do like Pike, i think he is very well acted and indeed written.
His flash forward was an excellent moment.
Gives even more purpose to what Spock will do in TOS, bringing him 'home' in the end.
I think this show is building nicely.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If Ariam and her ruined body could be put in a cybernetic body, why did Pike end up a vegetable? More brain damage?

As I recall, in the TOS two-parter "The Menagerie" it was explained that Pike's injuries left him unable to communicate save for simple yes-no responses, but his mind was still intact. Which is why Spock took him to Talos IV in defiance of the regulations in that story, as the Talosian power of illusion could let Pike mentally live out the rest of his life as if he was still able-bodied. Indeed, live out the rest of his life with Vina - and who wouldn't want to spend the rest of their life with '60s era Susan Oliver? ;)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Ah, "The Cage". Famously described as 'too cerebral' by the network, what they actually meant was 'this is too clever for our audience to understand, go write another pilot with fistfights in it' :p It's actually a really good episode of Star Trek, and makes for a great 'what-if?' - as in, what if the network hadn't assumed that their audience was too dumb to get it and picked it up as-is for a full series order rather than ordering the second pilot ("Where No Man Has Gone Before", that introduced most of the crew going forward into the series itself). Trek lost a lot of stuff when "The Cage" was rejected - female officer as second-in-command, captain who was a bit more brooding and introspective, Laurel Goodwin as a yeoman :o;). Even as a huge fan of TOS, I can't help but wonder sometimes what it would have looked like with the crew from "The Cage" and more 'cerebral' plots than the series often featured. Though it would probably have been canned even earlier than TOS was, to be honest...

Soldato
Going to watch The Cage and The Margarine today. Need to get clued up on Pike more. Despite being born in the 70's, I was never a fan of TOS.

I did exactly this yesterday (though I watched the Cage and the Menagerie, not margarine! :D) I had never been much of a fan of TOS either, but I enjoyed them both. Hope you do too!

Soldato
I did exactly this yesterday (though I watched the Cage and the Menagerie, not margarine! :D) I had never been much of a fan of TOS either, but I enjoyed them both. Hope you do too!
Just finished The Magarine as well as The Cage earlier today. It was an amazing bunch of episodes and I now understand Pike a great deal more. Loving put his love with Vina (Melissa George) though... :o :D

I don't know how the show can survive without Anson Mount. His performance as Pike is simply outstanding on every front. Even Spork's actor has done a superb job. Though I do remain hopeful that Lorca will be back to keep things fresh.

Back
Top Bottom