Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
like right when they got Thanos under with mantis on him and everyone tried to pull the glove off. Just open a portal around his wrist with the other end in another galaxy and close! Viola!

Glove removed, and Thanos now missing an arm. win win.
I'm assuming Thanos's body is too tough for that to damage and the portal just wouldn't close. Given that 14m outcomes failed. :)
Also think you have to enter the portal rather than it being made around you so you'd have to pull him into it or make him go into it (unlikely).

Soldato
Just got back from watching this, actually thought it was good, better than Black Panther and Captain America for sure (as well as some of the sequels), loved the soundtrack though as I really liked the mid 90s tunes esp Garbage and Elastica.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Saw it last night. For me, it's an enjoyable 6/7 out of 10 but not Marvel's best or in that category of IW, Civil War, Thor 3, Avengers etc.

+Generally enjoyable
+Talos
+Marvel/Fury team up
+Humour was just the right amount
+Some of the 90s references
+Goose
-Little arc for Marvel
-How Fury lost his eye
-Some of the score/when it's used
-Her co-pilot's response to seeing her dead best friend after 6 years + the fact that she leaves her daughter with an armed guy (don't care who he says he is :p) and then takes her eyes off her again whilst Talos shows Carol the recording

Soldato
Saw yesterday and I enjoyed it. :)

Love the Top Gun meets Mass Effect vibe through the whole film. And the visual/audio effects for things like weapons/tech - damn perfect, they certainly do this well, everything from the sound of the pistols to JL's "gravity gauntlet". For once I feel the movie industry is ahead of the games industry in terms of portraying cool sci-fi tech.

I suppose one thing is she is so overpowered that the only worrying moment during the film was would she accidently destroy the space lab killing everyone in it during the end fight! :D Those walls are pretty tough - especially considering she flew through the other space ship like butter.

Wondering how they "nerf" her and Thor in End Game - any direct confrontation with an enemy seems like it would be an easy victory.

Only criticism - and this is for all superhero/marvel films in general - is how "rainbow space magic" they are - it leans so hard on the fantasy part of science fantasy, from people having insane powers to ships flying like you would play with them as a child with a toy...
But I accept this is just how they are, obviously not to be changed, just my personal preference of not liking space portrayed as some LSD trip (one reason I didn't enjoy gotg) with beings so powerful they can do anything they want, especially for a franchise taking over from Star Wars as the mainstream movie sci-fantasy in this time. Would prefer more grounded stuff but, superheroes are superheroes...

But as said above I loved the tone of this film, think she played the part extremely well with the cheekiness and subtle humour and found it a fun two hours. Sure nothing mind blowing, but no regrets and would watch it again if it came on the TV. :)

Caporegime
@Curunen - I posted this in the Endgame thread but supposedly.....
She fights Thanos early on in the film. He realises she's powered by the space stone and starts draining her powers but is interrupted. She still remains powerful but is knocked down a peg or two.

Caporegime
TBF he knew he was going to win, but also knew the if he did it too fast it would make for a poor film, so just stretched it out for entertainment purposes.

I was always under the thought that Dr Strange knew the battle had the be lost to win the war kind of thing.

Just got back from watching it. Captain Marvel is just pure OP. something will have to happen to her to bring her back down to normal levels. She destroyed an entire spaceship in seconds!

Soldato
I was always under the thought that Dr Strange knew the battle had the be lost to win the war kind of thing.

Just got back from watching it. Captain Marvel is just pure OP. something will have to happen to her to bring her back down to normal levels. She destroyed an entire spaceship in seconds!

I wasn't impressed by the Kree Ballistic Missiles, (they aren't ballistic). The explosions were tiny.
The speed they were traveling (very fast) they would created more damage by just being a heavy lump of iron or something with higher density than the explosive. :O

Soldato
I wasn't impressed by the Kree Ballistic Missiles, (they aren't ballistic). The explosions were tiny.
The speed they were traveling (very fast) they would created more damage by just being a heavy lump of iron or something with higher density than the explosive. :O
The missiles were blown up, not detonated ergo there wouldn't be a massive explosion.

Soldato
The missiles were blown up, not detonated ergo there wouldn't be a massive explosion.
I think you need to research what a detonator does. :) (Captain Marvel fulfils this role) If they were nukes, she would have likely set them off, but as they exploded conventionally we assume they aren't.

Don't confuse this with bomb disposal where where most are old WWII bombs and either have lost a lot of their explosive potential or they use Trepanation (explosive contents are extracted through a combination of steam and acid bath liquefaction of bomb contents) before a safe detonation.

The only argument would be the lack of oxygen, but then there shouldn't have been an explosion at all in that case, so it still fails.

We have better weapons than the Kree, even with WWII level nukes being more powerful, but lacking on the delivery system.

0.015 Mt (megaton) 15 kilotons of TNT is the power of the Hiroshima Bomb.
1.2 Mt biggest nuke the USA has in 2012, but probably at lot less as it was small in size, as was the explosion, under 0.015 Mt. The Nuke used in Avengers Assemble that destroyed the Chitauri mothership.
3 Mt The total energy of all explosives used in World War II, including the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atom bombs.
50 Mt biggest nuke tested.
1460 Mt The total global nuclear arsenal is about 15,000 nuclear warheads. We had 60,000 - 70,000 in the 1980's.
100,000,000+ Mt Chicxulub impactor, Dino Killer asteroid.

My argument still stands, if you send in a heavy object at high speed (most are already moving at high speed) at a planet that planets ecosystem is shafted. :)
You don't need explosive missiles. Star Wars gets this even worse with insanely expensive death stars, that could be replaced with space rocks pushed in the right direction. ^^

Associate
I think you need to research what a detonator does. :) (Captain Marvel fulfils this role) If they were nukes, she would have likely set them off, but as they exploded conventionally we assume they aren't.

Don't confuse this with bomb disposal where where most are old WWII bombs and either have lost a lot of their explosive potential or they use Trepanation (explosive contents are extracted through a combination of steam and acid bath liquefaction of bomb contents) before a safe detonation.

The only argument would be the lack of oxygen, but then there shouldn't have been an explosion at all in that case, so it still fails.

We have better weapons than the Kree, even with WWII level nukes being more powerful, but lacking on the delivery system.

0.015 Mt (megaton) 15 kilotons of TNT is the power of the Hiroshima Bomb.
1.2 Mt biggest nuke the USA has in 2012, but probably at lot less as it was small in size, as was the explosion, under 0.015 Mt. The Nuke used in Avengers Assemble that destroyed the Chitauri mothership.
3 Mt The total energy of all explosives used in World War II, including the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atom bombs.
50 Mt biggest nuke tested.
1460 Mt The total global nuclear arsenal is about 15,000 nuclear warheads. We had 60,000 - 70,000 in the 1980's.
100,000,000+ Mt Chicxulub impactor, Dino Killer asteroid.

My argument still stands, if you send in a heavy object at high speed (most are already moving at high speed) at a planet that planets ecosystem is shafted. :)
You don't need explosive missiles. Star Wars gets this even worse with insanely expensive death stars, that could be replaced with space rocks pushed in the right direction.
^^

How many heavy object you thrown at planets?

I love how you lot go into details about these FICTIONAL movies.

Soldato
The problem is it breaks it's own continuity, not that it isn't realistic. Poor scripting. Super destructive missiles (more powerful than any nuke) that become weak because of lazy writing.

Maybe I'm expecting too much for a film franchise with a budget so far almost $4bn. :)

How many heavy object you thrown at planets?
This is pretty well documented scientific theory. We have had plenty of examples in our life time, and lots of evidence from the past. Or are you of the school that if you haven't done/seen something it isn't real? :)

I love how you lot go into details about these FICTIONAL movies.

Most of the facts copied in 5 minutes from Wikipedia. It wasn't hard work. :)

Soldato
Watched this at the weekend. As others have said, some good points:
Goose, Fury, Coulson, Talos, Jude Law and his team. Beautiful visual effects. Some good humour (especially the bits with the SHIELD cap and the toast)

Bad points:
Marvel's co-pilot. Her reactions just didn't make any sense. Given the shear destruction that was obvious from the crash, why would a trained pilot expect anyone to have survived?
CM is so over-powered that it removes any threat to her. The final fight is more about what collateral damage will occur than any concern for her. It was reminiscent of the lack of investment in Superman's danger-less fight in Man of Steel.
The re-work of the dog-fight/chase from ID4.

Soldato
Captain Marvel’s Brie Larson demands more diversity in Hollywood, so fans create a petition to have her replaced with a gay woman of color

Well, it would now appear that some folks are taking her words more seriously than she intended. Following the huge success of Marvel’s latest instalment, Avengers: End Game, where Larson makes another appearance as Captain Marvel, a petition was created demanding Larson be replaced with a “gay woman of color.”

“We need Brie Larson to step down from her role to prove she is an ally of social justice and ensure a gay woman of color plays the role. Let Monica, the original female and BLACK Captain Marvel instead of white-washing characters for the benefit of straight, white men running Disney.”

Something tells me this isn’t exactly the reaction Larson was looking for, but as many often discover, the real threat to Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) isn’t white men – it’s other SJWs. So, I guess we should grab the popcorn, sit back, and watch the latest SJWs battle it out.

ab1GrG2.gif

Back
Top Bottom