Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Did the same with my upgrade to a 1260L the other day on one of my Gen8 servers. Booted ESX afterwards and no datastores. Fortunately it was just the cable to the disks was loose.

Two Gen8's upgraded with one more to go.

Associate
So it'll self configure to the resolutions available to it?

Fingers crossed it's that easy!

Will report back once set up in the next week or two :)

Sadly still stuck with just two resolutions available in the Ubuntu desktop, which both look remarkably odd on my 1920x1080 screen!

Tried some messing with randr and got it to display at the correct resolution (which didn't display on the screen properly) up until a restart.

Have some more things to try, but it's pretty annoying!

Soldato
Sorry I have had a quick search but this thread is quite large.

Just ordered myself a 1220 V2 (not the L version should this be OK?). I'm using the box for Plex and it's actually based in my parents house as I couldn't be bothered to move my router and server to my own place. Remotely I am having no problems playing stuff from it but they are getting buffering on some movies. I figured it was the Wifi as they live in an old cottage but after laying down CAT6 cable it's still happening. So after a check I can see Plex is transcoding. I assumed the Samsung Smart TV or the Chromecast could handle the file direct but I guess not. So I'm hoping this little upgrade will solve this.

However will it be any benefit chucking a low profile GPU in this machine? Will it make use of the GPU for transcoding?

Soldato
Sorry I have had a quick search but this thread is quite large.

Just ordered myself a 1220 V2 (not the L version should this be OK?). I'm using the box for Plex and it's actually based in my parents house as I couldn't be bothered to move my router and server to my own place. Remotely I am having no problems playing stuff from it but they are getting buffering on some movies. I figured it was the Wifi as they live in an old cottage but after laying down CAT6 cable it's still happening. So after a check I can see Plex is transcoding. I assumed the Samsung Smart TV or the Chromecast could handle the file direct but I guess not. So I'm hoping this little upgrade will solve this.

However will it be any benefit chucking a low profile GPU in this machine? Will it make use of the GPU for transcoding?

1220v2 works in a G8, make sure you update the bios to a suitable version before swapping over to avoid unescissary profanity. It’ll be good for 3 1080p AV transcodes, but remember background services eating CPU cycles may reduce that.

The elements involved in transcoding are as follows:

1) Can the client play the media format natively? If not, it’ll transcode.

2) Is the client set to direct play the media format or force transcode? Some decided such as ATC have issues with this, a recent player beta resolves much of this or use a 3rd party client. If not, it’ll transcode.

3) Does the client have adequate bandwidth to direct play the media (actual bandwidth is subject to external factors such as uplink speed, other devices utilising it, routing between remote server and client, connection type eg Wi-Fi/wired etc.). If not... you get the idea.

4) Is the server capable of software transcoding? Remember source media type/format and output will determine the requirements, Plex suggest 2K of CPU mark per 1080P AV transcode, but that ignores you doing something stupid like trying to transcode down 4K content or the decoding overhead of day h265. If you do something stupid like have 4K h265 content, it’ll transcode.

If you have a PlexPass subscription, then it’s possible to use hardware transcoding, but OS choice is also a factor. Failing that it’s an NVEnc compatible GPU (software limit if two streams but can be bypassed in some cases) or a Quadro P4000 (no software limit) etc. My router (R210ii 1270v1/8GB) is easily capable of doing 4 transcodes in anecdotal testing (it wasn’t always a router), more than that and i’d have to go P4000 as I can’t make use of iGPU and 1u isn’t exactly geared for larger GPU’s.

Associate
Picked up a cheap N54L (with upgraded ram). Just going to be using Unraid, and will also be running Sabnzbd, Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr in Dockers. (as well as storing all media)

Soldato
They're nice little quiet/low power servers, not so ideal if you are doing a lot of RAR/PAR work or anything else CPU intensive, but certainly very capable of being useful, even for Plex if you can get clients to direct play.

Associate
I am currently moving 4TB to my unraid share, using the standard B120i controller. Getting 40MiBs atm, so easy over a day... is this right?

Got another 4TB to move after this too. I thought the transfer not being over network or USB it would be somewhat faster. Any ideas?

Stock cpu, and WD RED drives I am using.

Caporegime
That's fairly normal to be honest if you are using parity.

Copying a 14gb file to my array it starts off high (100MB/s) but then when it runs out of RAM it dives down to 40MB/s.

Soldato
With UnRAID you use a SSD based cache drive to speed things up, this is where you run VM/dockers from rather than the array. Obviously it’s only quicker *if* what you copy fits into the cache drive, while 1-2TB SSD’s aren’t that uncommon now, 4TB is probably pushing it.

Associate
I am using all 4 bays, is their any way to extend this and use more external drives without them being classes as... external. Like a external enclosure that powers the drives and allows the server to see them as if their were more bays, I would need a SAS card right? Using UnRaid and have so many 500gb + 1tb drives laying about.

Associate
I am using all 4 bays, is their any way to extend this and use more external drives without them being classes as... external. Like a external enclosure that powers the drives and allows the server to see them as if their were more bays, I would need a SAS card right? Using UnRaid and have so many 500gb + 1tb drives laying about.

May be able to do it with a DAS but i have not tried it tbh. You can add two more drives with the N40/54l and i think the newer ones take two 2.5's also.

Soldato

Do you have room to add an expansion card with an external SAS connector? If so you can add a multibay enclosure that will be transparent to the OS

Soldato
Do you have room to add an expansion card with an external SAS connector? If so you can add a multibay enclosure that will be transparent to the OS

You can even use another MS to achieve this, 2nd one powers the drives, SAS to it and then breakout to backplane (the adapter costs and microserver costs make it unrealistic unless you have the parts).

Associate
Thanks for the replies, Looked into it and it simply makes more sense to just upgrade to 8tb drives when I actually need more space. I guess I can use the spare drives for a freenas machine to play with later in the year reusing older parts after a well needed upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom