Road Cycling

Soldato
Stuck some glue on my disc tonight. Couple of thin layers with an hour between.

Put one on the tyre (Conti Comp) which has a bare base tape so it soaked loads of glue up. Confident though that this will stick really good. I put it back on a rim to stretch it back out some more as they are tight for mounting onto the wheels and tend to shrink a touch when you add glue.

I’ll give it a few days, then one coat on the wheel and mount it up I think.

Caporegime
One for @platypus ;)

Everyone needs a Diverge in their life. Although to be fair this is the only time I've seen Sagan ride one. He rides a (one-off) rim brake Roubaix for Paris-Roubaix/Flanders :rolleyes:

In theory that video is from 2016-17 (at a guess - That's a 2018 year model Diverge). Crazy to see how he's still got so many of his off road skills, nevermind the confidence. Some of those slides! :o
Thats just like my wife on her commute to work :eek:.

Soldato
I'll tip it forward later going by all the helpful advice the rear end of this seat sits higher any way. Thanks for the help

BM6eWS4.jpg
See, I would probably measure it with a shorter level from around the rear of the seat clamp forwards - so to level off the area you mainly sit on. Although the dipped nose on the Power really does make that a little awkward, my level is quite thin and it wouldn't sit very flat (kept leaping into the middle cutout/groove at the nose).

Found this old article but still a v good one regarding sealants.

I have used stans and found it worked 50% of the time for me in latex tubulars (Vit Corsa Evo CX)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html
Really really interesting read. I hadn't realised that latex tubes where so much better than butyl for puncture sealing? Can't quite get my head around how there's that big a difference in their tests when I thought latex where only used due to being lighter and marginally less rolling resistance (while being more prone to air leakage and punctures!). :o

Thats just like my wife on her commute to work :eek:.
Hahaha! Might explain why she's finding the commute such hard work! Tell her to ease up and ride a little easier! ;)

Anyone else get caught in the biblical weather the last 3 days? Had to empty the hailstones out of my helmet on the nursery pickup tuesday. Soaked. Constant wet drizzle here Wednesday and then today, rain, leading into snow, then heavy snow this morning. Even after it had rained overnight, the snow was heavy enough to settle, must have had 3 hours of it. All cleared now but frequent heavy rainshowers means another wet commute home incoming. Boo. :o

Soldato
My saddle is very slightly dipped after a bike fit, had a 30km ride yesterday on it and felt great!

I’m still lost on what sealant to get, May give the Orange stuff a go as I’ve seen that link above before and seems to like it much like other reviews.

Soldato
After reading that article I had a regular guy ask me to stick tubeless sealant into his daughters tubs for the YTOS so she can be a test subject for me.

Felt crap heading out tonight but got myself a double whopper around 4.30PM so plenty of time before the bundy set off at 6.30PM.

The group had halved in size by the bottom of the climb but I gauged my efforts and managed to do myself proud hanging wheels like a champ.

This guy has power date and only a bit heavier than me I recon.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2265191682/segments/57203098346 on the way to the climb

https://www.strava.com/activities/2265191682/segments/57203098469 full climb where I lost 30s to the 3 top guys but only 1 of them goes the full route.

Ended up down to only 5,4 then 3 of us for the sprint but couldn't beat Martin Lonie since he's a ***** and can actually sprint. Bodies everywhere so a standard bundy night :D

Soldato
Bit of maintenance tonight. Chain stretched & needs replacing on the R5.

Going to stick the used one off the P3 on the R5 and a new Red22 on the P3 ready for the new TT season.

Stripped all the old lube and the factory lube on the new chain using white spirit & brake cleaner.

Going to use Squirt to relube them, one of the best for low friction in the Frictionfacts test and not mega money either. I haven’t used it before, but need all those marginal gains to make up for lack of training ;)

Soldato
Well it was a good plan, but the P3 chain is too short which surprised me a little but never mind. That’s 52/26 and the R5 53/28 (big/big) and I’d have thought the chainstays to be close.

Cleaned up the cassettes while I was at it, my Neo cassette is stuck on though! I didn’t wrench and pull on it much as I didn’t want to break it. Gave it a bit of a pull and it wasn’t moving so put the Edco lock ring back on and cleaned with a rag instead.

Soldato
Tubular all mounted up. Whether it was the tyre or the rim or a bit of both it went on sweet as. Very round and straight.

The tyre was a little tight but prestretching & stretching after glue coat worked nicely and getting it on was a bit of a thumb workout but not too bad.

Two coats of glue on tyre, two on rim & a third then fit after 5 minutes.

Corima Red cork pads a bit meh, not the finest made, reviews of them are OK though, any other pad might mark or damage the rim. Swisstop yellow are a no no. I have the Black Prince or Enve pads for carbon also.

Soldato
I’m still lost on what sealant to get, May give the Orange stuff a go as I’ve seen that link above before and seems to like it much like other reviews.
I'm using Stans and nothing to report... But that's a good thing right!? :D

How do you guys determine how 'well' your sealant is working? I've probably not hit something spiky/hard enough to hear a hiss and see any... But then running quite low pressures and wide I wasn't exactly plagued by punctures before either. Probably only getting a couple a year.

Bodies everywhere so a standard bundy night :D
Absolutely mega numbers and ride as is standard for you at the moment mate. Cracking stuff!

Going to use Squirt to relube them, one of the best for low friction in the Frictionfacts test and not mega money either. I haven’t used it before, but need all those marginal gains to make up for lack of training ;)
Would be interested in your feedback on it, especially if you end up using it in any filthy/wet weather.

http://biketestreviews.com/latest-word-on-best-chain-lubes-for-bicycles-and-sport-bikes/

Cleaned and lubed up the crux for 500k next week in three days.

QKHBGam.jpg
She looks good! What's the event(s), or hols?

Looking over the frame I pick up some many differences between that alloy Crux and my Carbon Diverge. They really are totally different beasts! That's the E5 isn't it?

Finally got myself on Zwift saturday night and threw myself into the deep end. A long 3 climb hilly race. Brutal! Power levels where good, legs ok-ish but considering the reduction in mileage recently I was surprised. Found myself in small groups of lighter guys every time but only really blew myself up on the last climb - just had nothing to follow the two I was with. :cool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2270180604

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone paid for a custom fit for their bike? A highly regarded company in my area do it for about £95 and heard some great reviews about it but wondered if anyone on here has any experience with a fitter?

I experience back pain on long rides and also in my backside on long rides :p Which could be saddle, I think its all to do with ride position, my weight distribution feels wrong and I don't feel like i'm over the handlebars as I should be.

Soldato
Has anyone paid for a custom fit for their bike? A highly regarded company in my area do it for about £95 and heard some great reviews about it but wondered if anyone on here has any experience with a fitter?

I experience back pain on long rides and also in my backside on long rides :p Which could be saddle, I think its all to do with ride position, my weight distribution feels wrong and I don't feel like i'm over the handlebars as I should be.

Yes - read the previous 800+ pages on this thread to find the links ;) :D

Where are you located? The lady (Bianca) who did my bike fit a few years back is now the lead fitter for the Boardman Performance Centre. Not cheap now though. Other regulars will be able to give other options around the country...

Soldato
Yes - read the previous 800+ pages on this thread to find the links ;) :D

Where are you located? The lady (Bianca) who did my bike fit a few years back is now the lead fitter for the Boardman Performance Centre. Not cheap now though. Other regulars will be able to give other options around the country...
Haha sorry, its a huge thread and didn't know how far i'd have to look back. :p I guess the bigger question would be local recommendations if its worth it.

I'm in Gloucester, been recommended to look at Performance Cycles. £95 for a 'silver' fit, £195 for 'gold'.

Leisure Lakes have this Guru Fit thing, £120 I think that is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nearly there... need to pick up a set of second hand 6800 cranks and I'm about there.

56226316_2141035482649782_2615224761148702526_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom