Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Lots of lovely fresh snow on the mountains, right down to the foothills. I'll be doing my annual pilgrimage in the coming days - Ogwen to the coast, over the Carneddau. Marvellous

Soldato
Lots of lovely fresh snow on the mountains, right down to the foothills. I'll be doing my annual pilgrimage in the coming days - Ogwen to the coast, over the Carneddau. Marvellous

I'm heading over this Sunday. I was hoping to have a play on something on the Trinity Face or Clogwyn Du, but it's looking like the gullies are loaded with unconsolidated powder at the moment. Need a few freeze thaws to settle things down. Someone was a bit eager to get on one of the Trinity gullys yesterday despite the conditions and got avalanched on. Hopefully it doesn't all get washed away again though and we actually get a good winter season in Wales this year!

Just after a few quick footwear suggestions really.

For most things I wear Innov8 Roclite 315s. Check out Sport Shoes as you can grab last seasons colours for about £60 instead of the usual full price. Worth checking out if they fit your feet.

Soldato
I'm heading over this Sunday. I was hoping to have a play on something on the Trinity Face or Clogwyn Du, but it's looking like the gullies are loaded with unconsolidated powder at the moment. Need a few freeze thaws to settle things down. Someone was a bit eager to get on one of the Trinity gullys yesterday despite the conditions and got avalanched on. Hopefully it doesn't all get washed away again though and we actually get a good winter season in Wales this year!

Good stuff, yes indeed. I won't be doing anything too adventurous - just a slog over the tops, taking in Pen Yr Ole Wen, Carnedd Dafydd, Llewelyn, Foel Grach, Carnedd Uchaf (Gwenllian), Bera Bach etc. The riskiest thing I plan to do is eating baked beans in the snow. :)

Soldato
Sounds good, make sure you get some pics! :) You doing it over a couple days?

Cheers, I don't usually carry any photo gear with me - I get too distracted and end up chasing photo's instead of enjoying the walk - but we'll see, I might take the little Fuji.

I do it in a day, setting off early with enough time to easily complete before dark, all being well (touch wood).

Soldato
Ah yeh, just looked and it's about 12 miles across. I've always had it in my head that the Carneddau were longer. I guess it's because I've never been further north than Foel-fras.. I really should go and explore that bit!

Soldato
Ah yeh, just looked and it's about 12 miles across. I've always had it in my head that the Carneddau were longer. I guess it's because I've never been further north than Foel-fras.. I really should go and explore that bit!

Yes, about 12 miles all told. Coming down the north side is a nice walk, whether you finish in Rachub or Abergwyngregyn. A very good chance of seeing the wild ponies too, they're often on the lower northern foothills.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone here done the Ullswater way. Wanting to tick it off my list shortly. Given myself 10 hours which should allow a nice slow pace of 30min/mile. Should easily be able to beat that though depends how many photos i stop to take.

Capodecina
Soldato
Anyone here done the Ullswater way. Wanting to tick it off my list shortly. Given myself 10 hours which should allow a nice slow pace of 30min/mile. Should easily be able to beat that though depends how many photos i stop to take.
I have done bits and pieces but never the whole thing. What I have done is fairly straightforward but as I recall, in a few places it can be a wee bit "slippery".

Since I plan to do it in the Summer Holidays I will be very interested in and look forward to your feedback - good luck :)

EDITED: Incidentally, there is a .GPX and a MemoryMap file HERE - although you shouldn't need either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have done bits and pieces but never the whole thing. What I have done is fairly straightforward but as I recall, in a few places it can be a wee bit "slippery".

Since I plan to do it in the Summer Holidays I will be very interested in and look forward to your feedback - good luck :)

EDITED: Incidentally, there is a .GPX and a MemoryMap file HERE - although you shouldn't need either.
Already did myself a gps route, gives me ETAs if nothing more, i know its well marked. Hopefully do it early April, depends on the weather.

Soldato
Well did the Ullswater way at weekend, just under nine hours so happy with that, could easily do it faster but it would have been a shame to not stop and take in the views now and again.

QsJjqC5l.jpg

TitKsGfl.jpg

C5pbx6Nl.jpg

Glad i chose the day i did as well, stunning weather, bright clear skies and not too warm.
In hindsight i took far too much gear with me as well, i didn't need either my waterproof or my hoodie, i did forget my suncream and hat though the lakes love to keep you guessing when it comes to the weather.

I wore my boots for the first half from Pooley Bridge to Glenridding via Aira Force as that's the steep bits, then i swapped to trail shoes.
Glad i did it the way round as well anti-clockwise from Pooley Bridge, gets all the steep bits done first.

Capodecina
Soldato
Well did the Ullswater way at weekend, just under nine hours so happy with that, could easily do it faster but it would have been a shame to not stop and take in the views now and again.

Glad i chose the day i did as well, stunning weather, bright clear skies and not too warm.
In hindsight i took far too much gear with me as well, i didn't need either my waterproof or my hoodie, i did forget my suncream and hat though the lakes love to keep you guessing when it comes to the weather.

I wore my boots for the first half from Pooley Bridge to Glenridding via Aira Force as that's the steep bits, then i swapped to trail shoes.
Glad i did it the way round as well anti-clockwise from Pooley Bridge, gets all the steep bits done first.
Congratulations - lucky you!

The weather looks to have been fantastic - that's what happens when you carry wet weather gear ;)

Soldato
I was up in the lakes last week too, wasnt so lucky with the weather...
we got there just after the big snow dump.
Plan was for Helvellyn, Scafell and Skiddaw. Unfortunately we only got near the top of Helvellyn. Had I been on my own I'd have pushed on, but there were quite a few completely inexperienced people in the group. After encountering the snow and full winter conditions above 600/700m decided it best to err on the side of caution, sacked off the idea of the other two peaks, instead we headed down into ambleside had a cuppa, then headed up round fairfield horseshoe, still had a great walk and everyone returned safely.

As you can see didnt quite have the blue skies and blazing sun...
mbKuxxrl.jpg

Soldato
Were you planning to do all three peaks in one go or over the weekend?

Catterick huh? Do you wear Altbergs?
All three in one day, driving between, I'll head up on my own another time.

For work yeah. Up in the hills? No, I prefer Salomons, the fit and feel are so much more comfortable for my weird feet. I wear X-Alp MTN GTX majority of the time, in summer/hotter conditions I wear Quest 4d GTX or XA Pro 3D GTX.

Associate
Did Snowdon via South ridge and Ygarn too last year. Looking forward to doing Scafell Pike in 2 weeks and hopefully Ben Nevis during the Summer :)

Capodecina
Soldato
All three in one day, driving between, I'll head up on my own another time.

For work yeah. Up in the hills? No, I prefer Salomons, the fit and feel are so much more comfortable for my weird feet. I wear X-Alp MTN GTX majority of the time, in summer/hotter conditions I wear Quest 4d GTX or XA Pro 3D GTX.
Thanks for that. I will have a look at the X-Alp MTN GTX, they don't appear to be very common in the UK, four reviews on Amazon.com only and seemingly not readily available through Cotswolds.

As an aside, what route did you use to go up Helvellyn and what route would you have used to go up Skiddaw?

Soldato
As an aside, what route did you use to go up Helvellyn and what route would you have used to go up Skiddaw?
Helvellyn - Up from swirls car park.
Skiddaw - Would have been straight forward Via Jenkin hill path.

Not the routes I would have picked personally, but as stated previously there were a few people in our group lacking experience. For logistics, speed and safety we had planned to keep it easy and straight forward.

Capodecina
Soldato
Helvellyn - Up from swirls car park.
Skiddaw - Would have been straight forward Via Jenkin hill path.

Not the routes I would have picked personally, but as stated previously there were a few people in our group lacking experience. For logistics, speed and safety we had planned to keep it easy and straight forward.
WOW! You clearly know your Lake District!
Pity (but entirely understandable - especially in that sort of weather) to miss Striding Edge -and- Jenkin Motorway up Skiddaw isn't the most interesting route - still pretty damned impressive in one hit!

Back
Top Bottom