Road Cycling

Soldato
Has anyone paid for a custom fit for their bike? A highly regarded company in my area do it for about £95 and heard some great reviews about it but wondered if anyone on here has any experience with a fitter?
Might just be something simple like a cm or two less stem sorts things out, but impossible to tell without a fit. Have you ever had one? If not then the £95 starter might be good. I don't know the guru fit, but sounds ok.

Haha sorry, its a huge thread and didn't know how far i'd have to look back. :p I guess the bigger question would be local recommendations if its worth it.

I'm in Gloucester, been recommended to look at Performance Cycles. £95 for a 'silver' fit, £195 for 'gold'.

Leisure Lakes have this Guru Fit thing, £120 I think that is.
I'd say the Silver from Performance or guru from LL. Totally down to you which is better/easier/some affinity to the store etc. Anything more than a basic then get a Retul done at Performance. It is expensive. My LBS does it and here's an idea of their pricing: https://www.climbonbikes.co.uk/cob-bike-fit/ .I've had Retul and it's great (got a huge discount helping organise the shops social rides and clubs & always buying bikes from them!).

Like I said, *nearly* there. I also need to slightly trim the steerer tube a tad :p

Sure? I thought it needed more! ;)

Looks good mate, quite euro looking. Although derailleur cables look a little tight, the bars turn ok?

Soldato
Looks good mate, quite euro looking. Although derailleur cables look a little tight, the bars turn ok?
Might leave it like it, see how many times I can impale myself on it. They do the full turn, I think it's just the angle. That, and the bars need twisting round more anyway, so plenty of space there.
Bargain though, I think total build is under 700 euro at the moment, and the shifter there is a bit scuffed which is worse than it was described, but hey! Not a bad run about.

Soldato
@Shamrock asked about handlebars, not steerer tube :p
I guess he was asking about the handlebars in regards to the fact they have drops that even a granny would not be seen riding on? :p :p

Soldato
Might just be something simple like a cm or two less stem sorts things out, but impossible to tell without a fit. Have you ever had one? If not then the £95 starter might be good. I don't know the guru fit, but sounds ok.

I'd say the Silver from Performance or guru from LL. Totally down to you which is better/easier/some affinity to the store etc. Anything more than a basic then get a Retul done at Performance. It is expensive. My LBS does it and here's an idea of their pricing: https://www.climbonbikes.co.uk/cob-bike-fit/ .I've had Retul and it's great (got a huge discount helping organise the shops social rides and clubs & always buying bikes from them!).

Sure? I thought it needed more! ;)

The stem does look long to me, I feel like i'm almost stretching out over to the bars so I think I will definitely need a new stem. think I'll get booked in ASAP

Soldato
It's more the angle looks wrong. Of course, what matters is whether it's comfortable, but typically don't you have the bar ends near parallel or pointing towards the rear caliper rather than at the ground?:p
Ha it is the angle, they need twisting round more so the bar ends are square at the bottom, and shifters moving back on the bars.

I guess he was asking about the handlebars in regards to the fact they have drops that even a granny would not be seen riding on? :p :p
You've not seen my granny ride.

Soldato
Has anyone paid for a custom fit for their bike? A highly regarded company in my area do it for about £95 and heard some great reviews about it but wondered if anyone on here has any experience with a fitter?

I experience back pain on long rides and also in my backside on long rides :p Which could be saddle, I think its all to do with ride position, my weight distribution feels wrong and I don't feel like i'm over the handlebars as I should be.

I’ve had one on both road bikes now and recent one was last month - quite a bit changed inc new bars but my word I feel great on the bike the few times I’ve been out on it since. Mine was a Gold fit in Norwich discounted to £140 and well worth it, I have some old injuries that caused back issues to flare up pre bike fit last time so was chuffed when a fit solved them.

Soldato
Dragged out tonight by my mate who then made us late for a group that go out 'roon the glen'

We got in front of the bunch in the car and got a minute or two pedal before they caught up with us then it was straight into 23.5mph average speed kinda pace. The bunch was splattered to bits and we seemed to make the cut of about 7 riders until the 1st cat and 2nd cat decided to attack and go away :o. Two good guys finished together then my mate was in a group of 4 which I'd have been in if I wasn't an idiot.

Some young junior guy hit my back wheel on the climb then attacked, I decided I'd sit on his wheel for a bit to wear him out then went past him but I was then on the front and missed the left hand turn :D

Got a cheeky KOM out of it and happy to just be out for extra miles but the level of the guys above me is always impressive as ****.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2275498304/overview

Soldato
Pretty much my life on the bike.

I'm happy where I'm at after two proper winters on the bike, feel so much fitter for this time of year than I did even last year.

These guys have been racing since juniors and come from cycling families so it's in their blood. There was loads of people dropped as it got hard tonight who I'll be racing this year as 3/4 categories so I'm taking that for what it is rather then being sad about getting my arse handed to me by those guys. I recon if I had started off with the group and got a proper warm up I'd have jumped on their wheels and went as far as I could as I'm stupid that way.

Soldato
Pretty much my life on the bike.

I'm happy where I'm at after two proper winters on the bike, feel so much fitter for this time of year than I did even last year.

These guys have been racing since juniors and come from cycling families so it's in their blood. There was loads of people dropped as it got hard tonight who I'll be racing this year as 3/4 categories so I'm taking that for what it is rather then being sad about getting my arse handed to me by those guys. I recon if I had started off with the group and got a proper warm up I'd have jumped on their wheels and went as far as I could as I'm stupid that way.

Spoilt for bunches down there boy! I need to move back down the road, it's dire up here!!
The strength and ability riding with strong guys gives is untouchable. Can do all the training and efforts you want on your own but riding with folk that are stronger and more experienced is just pure gains if you stick at it as you have. You're a testament to how much it can improve you and you enjoy the hurt. Good head on ye! :)

Soldato
What’s that ticking noise.....

Only when pedalling. Does it in and out of the saddle and in big or small chainring.

New chain, totally cleaned cassette. Everything was cleaned and rebuilt at Xmas onto the new frame.

I think it might be spokes rubbing on each other where they cross as the wheel flexes under tension but this would be a little odd... the wheel is true. Hand built 28H for the extra strength that would give over a 24.

I might wash it totally and ensure it’s clean between the spokes....

Aside from that I’m unsure. Pedal spindles, rear QR, chainring bolts maybe?

Soldato
I've had it with my shoes before. If you have the sliding locator bolt used for Look cleats but you're using shimano cleats it can just slide around free in the slot.

Also seatposts are bad for it, particularly carbon posts in carbon frames. Even if you're standing up the flex in the frame can be enough movement to get a click from it.

Soldato
I had a knocking sound once per pedal stroke which was driving me nuts.

I re-greased and re-tightened my pedals and also torqued up the BB a bit more and it seems to have disappeared. Not sure which thing fixed it but it sounded like it was coming from the BB.

Soldato
Dry between press fit BB and frame?

Rough BB bearings?

Headset tight?

Legs were a bit em, shredded, tonight.

26 mile 22.3mph average speed, was pretty intense with a cross headwind with one guy similar to sitting about 300w from the start to the climb.

3 guys got away as I took a spell when we were chasing 1 who was away. Spelled one of them and the other decided to come through strong as hell. Next thing the guy I spelled jumped and got on his wheel. I'm sat at about 400w up a drag with no where to take it to with a similar guy on my left and another in his left like a drag race. Mere mortals :o

Didn't stop me having a tantrum and smashing it on the next bit until I was in actual bits. :D

Back
Top Bottom