• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 4 - Photo realistic graphics ready now?

Caporegime
Just watched this and all done on the UE4 and I was blown away. Games are getting closer to movies/real life and I like it.

No idea what power is needed but man, I would buy it :D

Soldato
Remember the days when you watched Baywatch in the early 90s and all you wanted to do was have wild sex with Pamela Anderson? Well, this is about as good as it gets.

Caporegime
Very impressive, saw this in another thread the other day. Probably still way off before this sort of detail becomes common place in gaming.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Meh, it's a shame gameplay hasn't evolved as much as graphics have.

It's all well and good having great graphics, but if it feels no different in gameplay, then it's just the same old, same old with shinier effects.

I buy games based on gameplay not graphics.

Soldato
Just watched this and all done on the UE4 and I was blown away. Games are getting closer to movies/real life and I like it.

That Rebirth ray tracing demo was rendered in real time with a single RTX 2080 Ti.

Rebirth is absolutely very stunning demo I was blew away too.

There also another Unreal Engine ray tracing demo called Troll was rendered in real time with a single RTX 2080 Ti.

Not Unreal Engine but Unity had 2 ray tracing demos called Reality vs illusion and The Heretic rendered in real time with a single RTX 2080 Ti.

Unreal and Unity developers said it really very incredible that a year ago these ray tracing demos would done rendered offline with a farm of GPUs. Now in 2019 they are very excited to see it rendered in real time with just a single RTX 2080 Ti card.

Troll ray tracing demo was really incredible, I really hope to see a sequel of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice to have ray tracing like Troll.

I think it will be 1 or 2 years or to see amazing ray tracing graphics like Troll, Rebirth, Reality vs illusion and The Heretic in games, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice took 3 years in development. AI and ML will sure help games developers to accelerate GPU rendering and reduce development time.

Soldato
You'll only need low end hardware for games like this. If a developer picked up the Unreal Engine 4 right now and started creating a photo realistic game, it would take about 5 years to finish it. Tripple A games take such a long time to make. GTA V took 5 years, Red Dead 2 was 7 years.

So the 1080ti used to power this demo would be trivial in 5 years. A budget xx50 card would be faster.

Soldato
You'll only need low end hardware for games like this. If a developer picked up the Unreal Engine 4 right now and started creating a photo realistic game, it would take about 5 years to finish it. Tripple A games take such a long time to make. GTA V took 5 years, Red Dead 2 was 7 years.

So the 1080ti used to power this demo would be trivial in 5 years. A budget xx50 card would be faster.

They said several times in the video that it's very easy to do, so why would it take about 5 years?

Soldato
I doubt that all of a sudden it takes a few months to create a game. They need a plot, script, story board, voice actors, director, map designers, AI programmers etc. It's tons of work.

Man of Honour
A lot of it is just 3D scanned objects/photogrammetry and a reasonable featured lighting engine. I found the physics bit LOL as it was obviously highly specific objects that were noticeably different to the surroundings.

Soldato
A lot of it is just 3D scanned objects/photogrammetry and a reasonable featured lighting engine. I found the physics bit LOL as it was obviously highly specific objects that were noticeably different to the surroundings.

+1

The Physics were rotten. Touches a rock and it just rolls. Graphics were really nice but we all know if you add in ai players and some explotions the frames would tank. It usually goes that you take a very nice looking demo like 3dmark and add on many years until games look that way.

Soldato
You'll need a 5080Ti

Probably need 2 or 3

Yes I'd love to have these graphics in games - especially VR!

BUT! I think Hollywood is going to love this tech even more!

No more having to pay expensive movie actors and shoot the same scene a hundred times! Now you can just render real life graphics for a movie

Soldato
Meh, it's a shame gameplay hasn't evolved as much as graphics have.

It's all well and good having great graphics, but if it feels no different in gameplay, then it's just the same old, same old with shinier effects.

I buy games based on gameplay not graphics.

Exactly. I miss the early 2000's when you had gameplay that was superb and the graphics were so so. It was the gameplay that meant more than glossy graphics.

Soldato

Nothing new my friend. :) Unity Engine has such photo realism on real time rendering since 2016.

2016, using GTX980 and the OLD Unity Engine.

2018, Unity 2018.

You'll need a 5080Ti
The Book of the Dead, runs with the V64 (at just turbo mode) giving ~75fps at 2560x1440 and 110fps at 1080p.
Can be downloaded today and tested also on your system.

Also here is someone run it on V64 with a i5 3570 at 3440x1440

And here 1080p with FuryX and 4770. Look at the VRAM usage.....

Back
Top Bottom