Unable to game online with USB tethered 4G

Man of Honour
Why would a WiFi hotspot work but not a hard, USB connection? I don't understand

I'd assume because the hotspot device is acting a little like a router while the PC via USB is a direct connection. The actual explanation is a little more complicated.

Associate
OP
(although more insight would be appreciated, if anyone can explain. Don't want to waste money on an adapter if it's just a 'maybe')

EDIT: Ok, got one on order for delivery tomorrow. I guess having one won't do any harm, but I'm still confused haha

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have a more basic phone you could tether from? Either provider or phone or a combination of the two.

The only other thing you could try is a another PAYG sim from another provider (one which costs a £1 from local corner shop and comes with free data) and try that perhaps.

Associate
Should I try a VPN again? I'll need to use a different one than Vypr as I cancelled it.

If you create a mobile hotspot on the phone, do you have another device such as phone or tablet to connect to it and test? You need to figure out if theres something up with your phone or your computer and this should show it.

Associate
OP
The PC connects fine to the hotspot. I can browse, watch YT, BBC, C4 videos. It's just gaming that's not working, so not something I'd be able to test on another device (which I don't have)?

Permabanned
Not that I can offer any help but I did this a several years back. Phone tether using EE 4G to play LoL. Some minor lag but worked fine.

Soon ate up the data. Each game was over a 100mb.

Soldato
I would guess that the problem is a combination of phone and network creating the "perfect storm" so to speak.

It is my understanding that Android tethering does have its quirks so to speak in some circumstances.

Thing is, you do not want to be throwing money away as such BUT, you could pickup a cheap USB 3G dongle to see if that worked.

Associate
OP
Well I've all but given up to be honest.

Got my Sky welcome pack yesterday and I should be getting hooked up tomorrow. Just hoping that there's a port available because I'm on 12gb of my 15gb 4g data now!

Associate
Not sure if it's any help but I'm with Three on their unlimited data plan and can game just fine with 4G, good ping too, no NAT restrictions either. They are worth a go if you are waiting and don't mind paying the money for a 30 day one.

Edit: just see you are getting online tomorrow.

Associate
OP
IF all goes to plan!

I was meant to be getting hooked up to BT fibre last week but that never happened because there were no ports available. Actually had to call them to find out wtf was happening as they never told me. Came home to find no phone line and no broadband.

Apparently these ports are distributed equally amongst the different ISPs so I'm just hoping Sky have one available.... or else it's this palaver all over again for another 2 weeks

Associate
OP
Woop! 16ms ping, 67mb down and 19mb up. Pretty flippin happy with that!

Now to gorge on all the HD-ness and gaming I've missed out on for 2 weeks :cool:

Thanks to all and especially @Gimpymoo for your assistance. The mystery remains unsolved but hopefully if somebody else ever has a similar issue, this thread will help them.

Associate
I know this thread is a bit old but going to leave this here in case it helps someone.

I recently got the EE unlimited data sim and noticed the same issue as Shashman. Steam would not load and additionally the speedtest.net win10 app also could not connect. Probably there are other applications that will have the same issue. I use ADSL for gaming for the low latency and jitter, but got 4g for the download speeds since I don't have access to any faster hard line yet.

The 4g router was connecting via ipv6 and after much troubleshooting I added the APN manually (APM details on google) and selected "ipv4" instead of the default "ipv4 & ipv6". That has solved the problem with steam and the speedtest.net windows 10 app. I had a quick match of Battlefield V and that also worked. I am not sure if all routers will allows this option to be set, but it was present on the Huawei CPE Pro.

Back
Top Bottom