anyone still go to/ like McDonald or Burger King?

Soldato
I've been travelling a lot recently and grown a new found respect for McDonalds.

I cook from raw ingredients pretty much every day and pride myself on being a good cook. I still however enjoy a McD's burger now and then and at least once a fortnight at the moment have McMuffin breakfast because it's easy and convenient.

Things I like which encourage me to McDonalds, I can usually park right outside and after a long journey not faffing looking for parking to the walk to a café is appreciated. The food is of a consistent quality and I'm encouraged that the level of cleanliness in the kitchen is good. Service is generally quite quick, and if its not it will be because it's busy and I should know that before I order. There are always toilets and they are almost always clean. For what I get the value is ok. The staff and approach seems to have improved over the years and there is normally some lady politely clearing tables and being helpful.

And if I've got the kids with me on a long journey I know they'll eat a Happy Meal and I can make it as healthy/unhealthy as I want.

It's not the finest food, it's not the most interesting and often I'd prefer a greasy spoon or an organic free trade wholefood indie café (add/remove café virtues as you see fit) but it is reliable. And that is a really valuable commodity.

Associate
MCD's brekkie twice/three times a month on the way to a days fishing.

Also discovered a HACK to get a cheap Big Mac (easier to do this with the electronic order points than a human i've found!!), which i create occasionally;

Order Double Cheese Burger, then remove the Mustard and Ketchup and then add Lettuce and Mac Sauce!
You get a Big mac with No middle bread layer for £1.49.

Associate
Bacon Sandwich from Mc D is about the only thing worthy of buying that doesn't make you feel ill 40mins after eating it.

The coffee is not bad though, and they are always clean at least the one i use. KFC is a exercise in how to not clean your restaurant, I wouldn't give KFC to a tramp, disgusting stuff.

The bacon sandwiches are about the worst thing they sell in the mornings! You can't beat a double sausage and egg mcmuff.

I've been travelling a lot recently and grown a new found respect for McDonalds.

It's not the finest food, it's not the most interesting .... but it is reliable. And that is a really valuable commodity.

This 100%. I like travelling, but I am pretty awful with new foods even though I really want to try stuff I just have a really weird ability to gag/throw up the most random stuff that I am not used to. Enter McDs. The amount of times I have been somewhere that I just cannot find something bland and simple to eat that I know what it is more than I would care to admit. Find the nearest McD's and order pretty much anything safe in the knowledge it'll be roughly the same as back here and not give me the heebies.

Also in a lot of countries McD's is nowhere near as scummy as a lot of them are here. Like I was in Berlin recently and went to McD's and couldn't believe the stuff they sold, it was like proper decent grub and there was no scallys to be seen anywhere! I still contend though that the big mac I had in Malaysia was a tad strange, but still fine at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I am a big fan of there coffee (it's not good, but it's better than starbucks etc), so if I'm anywhere and need (want) a coffee then I'll pop into McDonalds.

Also their new Veggie wrap is really good!

Soldato
Also in a lot of countries McD's is nowhere near as scummy as a lot of them are here. Like I was in Berlin recently and went to McD's and couldn't believe the stuff they sold, it was like proper decent grub and there was no scallys to be seen anywhere!

Travelling through France last summer and at our overnight stop we went into a McD's as we arrived quite late in the evening. They had a full on patisserie with quite a range of choice and also a salad bar that looked decent. Funny how they do it abroad.

Associate
My wife likes McDonalds, but I prefer Burger King. I never get any meals though, just the BK cheap ass double cheese burgers and I get them as take away to eat in McDonalds :D

Associate
My wife likes McDonalds, but I prefer Burger King. I never get any meals though, just the BK cheap ass double cheese burgers and I get them as take away to eat in McDonalds :D

Oof rebel you are! haha. I usually sneak a cheeky can of Irn Bru in if I goto BK as they don't sell it, and I'm.. well... Scottish :)

Soldato
Had a Big Mac the other day when going via the drive thru. Hit the spot it did. :)

But the people behind the microphone are hard work. No wonder I normally just run in and order off the board.

Soldato
Maccy's has grown on me again recently. I hardly ever eat there mind you for the guilt of how a big mac, chips and shake pretty much is your daily intake of sat fats etc. The big mac XL with bacon was lovely.

KFC, having been in town without one for 12 years we recently moved where one is two miles away and it became our usual friday night take away for a solid 6 weeks. However I grew bored of it and now we seldom have them.

I do love both KFC and maccy's and would have them a lot more often if it wasn't for how bad they are for you

Associate
A Big Mac or Chicken Legend will always be something I enjoy. I am looking at making my own McMuffins though for breakfasts, apparently theybfreeze and rehat quite well.

Soldato
Get BK every few weeks now they've started delivering it via Deliveroo.

I stopped going to McD as our local franchise kept messing orders up or the food wasn't right, bits missing from orders etc.

Soldato
Get BK every few weeks now they've started delivering it via Deliveroo.
Do they really travel though ?, it's a small item to keep warm, and you can't top it up in an oven like a chinese/indian.

... home delivery seems a real compromise on temp/texture , albeit recent BK tv programme talked about an update to their frying technique so chips remained crisper over a 7 minute window, was it ?

Caporegime
Do they really travel though ?, it's a small item to keep warm, and you can't top it up in an oven like a chinese/indian.

... home delivery seems a real compromise on temp/texture , albeit recent BK tv programme talked about an update to their frying technique so chips remained crisper over a 7 minute window, was it ?
I find ubereats McDonald’s delivery to be fine for burgers, but a bit ropey for fries. I tend to have another burger or mozzarella dippers instead of fries.

Soldato

Fine for me, they aren't using the scooters here it's someone in a car usually so like you've been for it yourself and brought it home.

Soldato
Rarely. I have nothing against them but like some others they always make me feel awful a few hours after, the last time I had McDonalds was in Portugal about 18 months ago (only place open) and BK was 12 years ago in Hong Kong (again, only place open). I do quite like the southern fried chicken wraps McDonalds do though...

Back
Top Bottom