• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 4 - Photo realistic graphics ready now?

Soldato
Not all games take that length of time to put together, and a significant portion is dealing with building the game. If this makes that more simple then the time will go down.
I disagree. Most established game engines are efficient in what they do. AAA games are still taking 3+ years to push out the door, so the time is being spent elsewhere.

Permabanned
“Rebirth”: Quixel creates a real-time photoreal 4K cinematic | Project Spotlight | Unreal Engine

“Rebirth” is a photoreal cinematic short film created by Quixel to put their Megascans library through its paces. And just to make things interesting, the company built the entire piece to run in real time at 4K in Unreal Engine.

Associate
Meh, it's a shame gameplay hasn't evolved as much as graphics have.

It's all well and good having great graphics, but if it feels no different in gameplay, then it's just the same old, same old with shinier effects.

I buy games based on gameplay not graphics.

I think its because gameplay requires a developer to code outside the parameters of the core game engine, what we see atm is a trend of utilising game engines but not expanding on them.

Soldato
You would be surprised at how much higher quality materials give to the overall IQ. Much more so than increasing geometry count or lighting improvements.

This is the project that me and a friend demonstrated at siggraph last year. It was running on a Vega FE at around 4k 30fps while using over 100GB of Vram at times. Some of the materials were 200MB for a single layer. There was also no ray tracing in this, it all pure and bog standard UE4. Some people who came to our booth believed we had ray traced and pre-rendered it in arnold, but this was all running in real time when recorded.

Many of the models on this scene were quite low quality compared to how things appear.

Mobster
Soldato
One reason I play games is to escape real life. While this looks stunning, I don't want to bring real life into games.

Spend the time developing all the little things like face expressions, eyes nose, teeth, hair etc fluid movements, outside scenery, touches like grass, dirt, weather effects etc. I know some of this is in games already but make this kind of thing much much better and games will take on a whole new life.

Back
Top Bottom