Huawei P 20 pro & Mate 20 Pro? Any other options?

Soldato
So, it's finally time to upgrade my trusty Lenovo P2 (goodbye beautiful 5,100mAh).

I pretty much only use my phone for listening to and watching things and taking photos/video. No games or anything.

I had settled on the Huawei P20 Pro (EE £33/m, no upfront cost, 30gb, unlimited txt & min, 24mnth). Although even though the Mate has a higher capacity battery, the battery life is shorter due to the upgraded screen and it being a more powerful phone.

The Mate 20 Pro has just caught my eye for the same contract as above but £36 a month and £99 up front. (Better spec all round, headphone jack, expandable nano storage, in screen fpid etc). Or £37 a month and £25 upfront with O2.

Are there any other phones that people would recommend? I'm going to give it another week or so before I get one, hopefully there will be a slight price drop. My friend has had a P20 Pro for about 6 months now and only pays £30 a month.

*Edit* Neither of these contracts are direct with the providers so are locked in for the full period of 24months.

Cheers everyone ✌️✌️

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't really comment but fyi the mate 20 pro doesn't have a headphone jack (assuming you're talking good old 3.5mm?)

Soldato
Neither has a headphone jack. Saw Note 9 recently selling for £33 a month (no upfront) with 30GB on EE so might be worth considering. Has the 3.5mm port, added stylus which you may or may not use, usual gorgeous Samsung AMOLED and good battery to boot. Not the latest latest tech but still no slouch.

Soldato
OP
Can't really comment but fyi the mate 20 pro doesn't have a headphone jack (assuming you're talking good old 3.5mm?)
My mistake, the Mate 20 X does.

Neither has a headphone jack. Saw Note 9 recently selling for £33 a month (no upfront) with 30GB on EE so might be worth considering. Has the 3.5mm port, added stylus which you may or may not use, usual gorgeous Samsung AMOLED and good battery to boot. Not the latest latest tech but still no slouch.

I was actually just looking at that. I might have to go in and have a play around with one.

Last edited:
Associate
So, it's finally time to upgrade my trusty Lenovo P2 (goodbye beautiful 5,100mAh).

I had settled on the Huawei P20 Pro (EE £33/m, no upfront cost, 30gb, unlimited txt & min, 24mnth). Although even though the Mate has a higher capacity battery, the battery life is shorter due to the upgraded screen and it being a more powerful phone.

Cheers everyone ✌️✌️

This deal can be had wtih £150 cashback as well so the effective cost comes down to £26.75pm. I do like the Note 9 though, if you like BIG phones :)

Associate
I recebtly got a P20 pro for almost the same reasons as you (camera mostly). Got a grade A referbished (new essentially) on paypal credit, 18 months £21 p/m...

But cost aside it hits every spot I wanted, camera, battery etc

Soldato
I went from Lenovo p2 to p20 pro.

To be honest I'm disappointed. Especially I paid £680 sim free last year. I expected a lot more from the P20 pro.

Battery life is much shorter than the Lenovo P2. Sure it's 1,100mah smaller but I didn't expected to charge up twice a day.

Biggest issue I have with p20 pro is the software and updates.

I'd look at different phone tbh

Back
Top Bottom