Audi A5 3.0 2011 vs Merc E Class 350 2011

Man of Honour
2itptuq.jpg
this thread has to be a windup surely...

Man of Honour
on the assumption that this thread is not a windup...
2nd car I meant to view tomorrow has revealed outstanding finance on it on the HPI, some one is trying to sell a car that he/she got on a loan, loan not paid off.
it's not uncommon for this to happen...
basically the current owner of the car will pay off the loan to finance company with the money you transfer to him.

obviously get a contract signed first that says that you own the car and that the finance company will be paid in full before you transfer the money.
be there in person as this is sorted out and make sure that you get a copy of documentation that there is no more finance on the vehicle

Soldato
As said before, if it is on finance then the seller needs to request a final settlement figure from the finance company. You can then clear the finance and pay the seller the rest.

When I got rid of my hateful, awful, dreadful, unreliable, badly made MG3 (truly the worst car in the world) it had outstanding finance. I got a settlement figure, the buyer paid the settlement figure to the finance company and paid the rest to me.

Regarding your question, I have not driven a Mercedes E-Class but my fiancée has an Audi A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI S-Line 2011 with the manual gearbox. I am impressed with it - it drives a lot better than I thought. It's a great car.

Associate
OP
on the assumption that this thread is not a windup...

it's not uncommon for this to happen...
basically the current owner of the car will pay off the loan to finance company with the money you transfer to him.

obviously get a contract signed first that says that you own the car and that the finance company will be paid in full before you transfer the money.
be there in person as this is sorted out and make sure that you get a copy of documentation that there is no more finance on the vehicle

yes, this is what I made sure, so he took out the loan on a 36 month agreement paying a hefty £300 a month, he had £900 left over, he immediately paid the outstanding figure as soon as I said I would purchase the car, by debit card over the phone, on speaker phone whilst i was present, cant get clearer than that, verbal confirmation that £900 paid off

The finance company told me its common for people to sell cars while there is still finance on the vehicle, they then pay off the agreement afterwards or like above

Associate
OP
They're just not
Which is why most people don't want to own BMWs/Mercs without approved extended warranty
I find them reliable sir

I owned a ford sierra, a Astra a cavalier, ok they are old but the Astra was a 2000, also various other fords, honestly I had issues on used cars, as soon as i bought my VW gold i had a 7 year period where i experienced 0 issues, yes there were issues but very minor, id drive my astra on the motor way and my brothers megane, the engine would scream at me during 90mph, it feels like a hurricane out there, not with the golf

The Audi, honestly im doing 95mph and I didnt realise that im speeding, 120mph is a breeze, I feel that German cars are the BEST automobiles in the world

Id doubt people would disagree

Man of Honour
The finance company told me its common for people to sell cars while there is still finance on the vehicle, they then pay off the agreement afterwards or like above
as i said, it's not uncommon

so he took out the loan on a 36 month agreement paying a hefty £300 a month, he had £900 left over,
sounds a bit fishy. 36m x £300 = £10800. how much is the car worth again?
you have the number plate, just do a quick check on autotrader and see how much they estimate the value at.
if you want to, just trust me the reg number and i'll get the VIN number and the options list for the car for you :)

Caporegime
If the thread isn't a windup then someone needs to pray for you...

Believing everything the seller says
Trying to buy an A5 "S5 conversion"
Saying things like "I swear down"

Can't be a school kid though because the account is 9 years old... :o

Associate
OP
as i said, it's not uncommon

sounds a bit fishy. 36m x £300 = £10800. how much is the car worth again?
you have the number plate, just do a quick check on autotrader and see how much they estimate the value at.
if you want to, just trust me the reg number and i'll get the VIN number and the options list for the car for you :)

HPI value the vehicle at 12.5k
Im pretty sure he paid a down payment, only financing the 10k

The last time i bought a car was 13 years ago so things have changed a lot since then, you have to be so careful, about 8 cars I picked turned out to be owned by people who only had the vehicle for weeks, one guy clearly stated hes had the car only for 2 weeks

I was about to view this car below,was so close to buying it today, its a A5 2015 model, looks immaculate, fully loaded and the HPI price is 14k and the guy was ready to sell at 10k, the only reason i pulled out was because its a 2 litre FWD CVT Multi-tronic, engine mated to the front two wheels, did a lot of research and people prefer the s-tronic or Audis own version of DSG twin clutch, which is more preferred, people say that you couldn't physically change gears on a manual faster than a twin clutch set up.

The 3 litre V6 s-tronic twin clutch Quattro 4WD destroys the 2 litre FWD multi-tronic and the insurance is the same

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904076726722?postcode=hp202te&model=A5&price-from=9500&transmission=Automatic&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=AUDI&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=11000&radius=1500&page=6 (sorry the seller said he sold a 2016 merc, someone paid him cash and the above Audi, he took on the car at trade price hence the low asking price, my brother in law advised me to stay away because hes only had the car for 2 weeks, he lives in Luton and the guy is asian pakistani origin, haha)

Thats why id only go for the 3 litre V6 Quattro

I also pulled out from buying a E Class 350 because the services are crazy prices, the insurance on the mercs were always an extra 4-600 pounds

Lastly I also decided against the 6 series because they are to old, the 6 series 2012 model onward were 4-5k above budget, the 4 series are to small and the VW CC R Lines look so nice and fast but the Audi A5s are just better, what else is there thats German? oh Porsche, just way above my league

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@hobib_ali honestly from what you've just said, i worry that you're throwing money away.
you honestly don't know a lot, if any at all.

firstly, if that car was valued at £12500 and said owner was selling at £2500 less, alarm bells should automatically start ringing. is there a mechanical problem? has it ever been written off? expensive service like brakes etc coming up? failed mot? worse still are the oil leaks or transmission/quattro issues that aren't immediately noticeable. as you're buying from a private seller, it's caveat emptor - which means that the car is sold "as is" and if you find an issue later on, you have have no recourse with the seller.

A more common example is a used car transaction between two private parties (as opposed to a dealership, in which the sale is subject to an implied warranty). The buyer must take on the responsibility of thoroughly researching and inspecting the car—perhaps taking it to a mechanic for a closer look—before finalizing the sale. If something comes up after the sale, maybe a transmission failure, it is not the seller's responsibility.

also e-class/cls is in the same segment of the 5/6 series and a6/a7 [edit re-read through and you mentioned e-class coupe, not e-class]
4 series is in the same segment of the a5 and the clk/e-class coupe. so a bit odd that you think the 4 series is small and the a5 isn't. when they're both comparable
vw cc is a 4-door coupe version of the passat - so basically a vw badged a4/a5

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If spending that kind of money save yourself some aggro and go trade/dealer not private.

EDIT: Mind you it took a month and going back 3x to get faults rectified on warranty on my latest purchase from a main dealer but I knew what I was buying and eyes open going in.

Back
Top Bottom