When should I hand my notice in?

Soldato
Hi.

Been struggling with this for a bit and still can't decide what to do.

In the 5th week of a job. I have accepted a new job to start 23/4.

I have no contract, have taken no holidays and there is no employee handbook.

I am paid weekly as a full time, permanent employee.

My questions are:

1. When should I hand my notice in to make sure I can start on the 23rd bearing in mind Easter? I will give a week max.
2. What happens if my boss just says he doesn't want me to work notice and I am to leave immediately?
3. Am I due any holiday pay having not worked a complete calendar month, only 4 weeks and 2 days across March and April?

Thanks very much.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Why no contract? Very odd. So you signed nothing and just turn up and they pay you? Not a position I would want to be in, very dodgy.

1. If there is no notice period then whenever you want, or just don't turn up, sounds like they don't really care anyway.
2. Then you leave immediately?
3. You will have to check your contra... oh wait. Ask HR?

Soldato
OP
Why no contract? Very odd. So you signed nothing and just turn up and they pay you? Not a position I would want to be in, very dodgy.

1. If there is no notice period then whenever you want, or just don't turn up, sounds like they don't really care anyway.
2. Then you leave immediately?
3. You will have to check your contra... oh wait. Ask HR?

1. Employers don’t have to provide contracts until 2 months. We had a loose conversation on email.
2. But I wouldn’t want that, how could I stop it happening? Am I on dodgy ground quitting without notice after over a month in work...including reference?
3. There’s no HR internally or outsourced.

Caporegime
2. But I wouldn’t want that, how could I stop it happening?

Eh? Why would you want to stop it happening? You've only been there 5 weeks and you're aiming to start a new job, why does it matter whether you turn up at the office for the last week or not?

Soldato
OP
Let me give you a couple of scenarios on this so I can try and get to the right decision both for me and my employer.

Scenario 1. I give a week’s notice on Thursday therefore asking to finish Thirsday before Easter and not expecting to be paid Easter. They could say no, ask me to leave and I am now 7 days pay down.

Scenario 2. I say nothing, get paid on the Thursday to include Easter Friday and Monday then email on Friday as I leave to say I’m not coming back.

I want to do the right thing here but money is very important right now.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Err ask your boss, he probably would like time to recruit someone, so won't chuck you out.
You won't have to give more than a weeks notice anyway

I'm not asking them anything, I will be telling them what I'm doing based on the right thing to do employment law wise.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

1. Employers don’t have to provide contracts until 2 months. We had a loose conversation on email.
2. But I wouldn’t want that, how could I stop it happening? Am I on dodgy ground quitting without notice after over a month in work...including reference?
3. There’s no HR internally or outsourced.

Why would you want a reference from a place you've only been at for 5 weeks (it wont be glowing even if you try to 'place nice')?

An employer wont even blink at a 5 week gap in employment and if they do ask you just decided to catch up on some home maintenance between employment.

I worked for three months last summer between finishing my teaching degree in June and starting my Ph.D in October - it's not even going on my CV. Short periods of employment look worse than gaps IMHO - everyone understands it can take time to find the right role but employers don't like job hoppers.

Soldato
OP
You get paid regardless no? Is this your first job?

I meant as in he basically lets me go without notice. Ie I hand in notice and he lets me go.

I know that's not how it's supposed to work but I would fully expect to not get paid in his situation.

Soldato
OP
Why would you want a reference from a place you've only been at for 5 weeks (it wont be glowing even if you try to 'place nice')?

An employer wont even blink at a 5 week gap in employment and if they do ask you just decided to catch up on some home maintenance between employment.

I worked for three months last summer between finishing my teaching degree in June and starting my Ph.D in October - it's not even going on my CV. Short periods of employment look worse than gaps IMHO - everyone understands it can take time to find the right role but employers don't like job hoppers.

I'm being referenced by Experian and have to put everything down.

I fully understand companies don't like job hoppers (I did 10 years in recruitment) but they like liars even less. Plus, how do you explain the P45?

Soldato
I meant as in he basically lets me go without notice. Ie I hand in notice and he lets me go.

I know that's not how it's supposed to work but I would fully expect to not get paid in his situation.

Neither you nor your employer can let you go immediately as you've worked there for over one month. The minimum statutory notice period for you both is one week:

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4096

Caporegime

Why? You're saying you fully expect him to break the law essentially?

Take him to a tribunal or "small claims" court/county court if he does that surely? Or just threaten to.

Associate
Abit off topic but you've been there 5 weeks and have found a new job, the decent thing to do is at least give them a weeks notice.

Not that it's any of my business but why are you actually leaving after only 5 weeks ? It doesn't look good on your CV for any new employers.

Back
Top Bottom