Silent backlit keyboard

Soldato
Hi,

I'm currently using a £10 logitech membrane keyboard, the membrane doesnt bother me I'm enjoying the silence but the backlit or lack of does bother me

I would appreciate recommendations for a backlit keyboard, silence is most important and gaming will be the primary use

I would prefer no software, not bothered about RGB but really want the keys to be backlit in white so might need RGB and software to achieve that? I cant find anything that comes with plain white backlit keys

Obvious choice would be Logitech Prodigy but you need software to change the colour and wondering if I've missed any keyboards that have white backlit keys as standard

Budget up to £100 but can spend more if it ticks all the boxes

Thanks

Associate
This Asus Sagaris it sounds quite from all of the youtube reviews ive seen, (rubber dome keys tend to be quite in general) and is backlit. I personally would give this one a punt in your position as its not going to break the bank at £20.

You can also get a Corsair strafe with CherryMX silent. It does seem to be a bit on the expensive side here on OCUK though.

You could also go looking for a Razer Deathstalker, which used to sell for about £80, or the Red Dragon Karura , which is effectively a knock off of the Deathstalker.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Appreciate the suggestions, the Asus doesnt suit me but I'm going to go to a local store and see if I can test a Strafe or other keyboard with CherryMX Silent and hopefully a RomerG just to compare.

My ideal keyboard would be silent, mechanical or membrane, white back light and TKL with a minimalist look but sadly I am once again looking for something that doesn't exits, I seem to do this with everything I buy!

Soldato
The thin, 'non-gaming' Logitech keyboards are not suitable for gaming. Probably still exhibits key ghosting (some key combinations wont work, so, a no-no for gaming).

A silent gaming keyboard doesn't really exists. I know, I've looked for one. Even worse, backlit (most gaming keybaords are anyway), low profile, and 'gasp', TKL :D

For quietness, the quietests would be membrane (cheap), then the cherry Red (or non-tactile Cherries), then maybe the Romer-G (Logitech G413, G Pro, ...), then Cherry Brown and the worst, the Cherry Blue.

You can quiet down the Cherry keys somewhat using some key rings, but frankly, I'm not that impressed. I've heard the Romer-G are slightly quieter, still, they aren't silent.

In any case, if you limit your search to 'medium noise', then the world's your oyster (Anything but the Cherry Blue should do the trick).

If you're OK with cheap rubber dome / membrane keyboards, then that should do the trick too and will be quieter.

Soldato
OP
I went to a popular local pc shop today and had a type on what they had on display

Membrane was obviously the quietest on the K55 and the Razer membrane keyboard. followed by the RomerG of which strangley two RomerG keyboards sounded slightly different. Anything else Inc the Strafe was too loud, my PC will soon be going in the main bedroom so I need it quiet as possible, I'm going to need to stick with membrane, the K55 is too big though I just don't need the macro keys either, the Razer was ok Cynosa I think it was called but green backlight

Associate
I went to a popular local pc shop today and had a type on what they had on display

Membrane was obviously the quietest on the K55 and the Razer membrane keyboard. followed by the RomerG of which strangley two RomerG keyboards sounded slightly different. Anything else Inc the Strafe was too loud, my PC will soon be going in the main bedroom so I need it quiet as possible, I'm going to need to stick with membrane, the K55 is too big though I just don't need the macro keys either, the Razer was ok Cynosa I think it was called but green backlight

There are two different Romer-G switches made for Logitech, the older one with the blue housing on the switch (like on my G410) is a tactile switch. I think some of the newer keyboards use a linear Romer-G switch with a different colour switch housing hence the difference in sound/feel.

Also worth noting, they do another switch which is more like a Cherry MX Blue and is noticeably different to the Romer-G switches.

Associate
A silent gaming keyboard doesn't really exists. I know, I've looked for one. Even worse, backlit (most gaming keybaords are anyway), low profile, and 'gasp', TKL :D

Also this ^^.

Remembered a keyboard OCUK sold but it looks like it's not available anymore https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coug...board-scissor-switch-uk-layout-kb-03e-cu.html

It had some anti-ghosting, backlighting w/o software (RGB but I think you could choose solid color) and supposedly relatively silent due to it's scissor switches.

Soldato
OP
That explains it thanks Jamie, that Cougar keyboard looks interesting, wonder if its being replaced

I'm trying to talk myself into the G413 in White but feel like its going to be louder when its all quiet in the house if you know what I mean so trying to find a suitable membrane keyboard

Whats Mecha-Membrane? Marketing fluff for membrane I imagine?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Thanks, with software to change the lighting or can it be done on the keyboard directly?

If you want to set up zone colours then you need the software. If you just want a solid backlit colour then you can just hold the 'sun' button at the top right of the keyboard then press 1-0 to select one of the preset colours. The 'sun' button also lets you cycle through brightness settings for the backlight.

Soldato
OP
If you want to set up zone colours then you need the software. If you just want a solid backlit colour then you can just hold the 'sun' button at the top right of the keyboard then press 1-0 to select one of the preset colours. The 'sun' button also lets you cycle through brightness settings for the backlight.

Ah interesting, almost sold and sorry to ask such a trivial question but I'm sold if.... White is one of the default colours?

Back
Top Bottom