VR Gaming Deals? Any title recommendations?

Soldato
So, I’ve just bought an Oculus Rift from the MM, and I’m genuinely gobsmacked over how awesome it is. It’s part of a sizeable project (new system, custom desk and VR space) and I’ve not had a chance to explore yet (the setup is just temporary, for testing). I’ll be utilising a 3 sensor setup, and have a LinkBox for quick disconnect.

I have the Oculus Store, and I’ve linked it with my Steam VR. I have a couple of games (really looking forward to SuperHot and Elite Dangerous) but other than that I’m clueless.

I normally use humble, GoG and the usual platforms. I’ve bought from CDkeys and some others before. Comparably at least, games seem quite expensive, is that just the way it is?

Where’s the best place to pickup VR gaming deals? Any specific game recommendations?

Soldato
The specials vary constantly from store to store.

Elite is cheap on steam right now. Other good currents on steam are Subnautica, Dead Effect 2 VR, and Vector 36 because it's a favourite of mine.

Looking at the oculus store, Torn is a good deal, but not much else. Humble store often has deals on VR games, as does green man I believe. You'll often see games drop 50-60% on either steam or oculus, it's a case of eye's on. The real gold mine for VR is the steam sale, while it might have lost it's gust with flat screen games, it's still a wonderland for VR.

Most of the decent well produced games tend to be around £18-25 and are generally worth it. Most of anything that's popular won't drop bellow -20/30%, anything beyond that you'll get a -50% sooner or later.

Hard to recommend many games, VR games are more subjective in opinion, it all depends on what you're in to. That said if you like Super Hot, check out a game called Primordian, it has matrix style action combat.

Soldato
In general the oculus store has some excellent titles, many are on steam as well but if you have the option , and you want to buy on steam be sure the steam version supports the rift natively. If you have the choice you want to keep away from steam VR.
All games are reduced at one point or another so I would wait for a sale but in general it depends what genre you like
That said
Technolust
From other suns
Pinballfx vr (get on oculus)
Arizona sunshine (get on oculus)
Lone echo
Robinson the journey
PCARs 2 (steam) don't bother with #1
Dirt rally (best get on steam)
Elite dangerous
so many more!

Ones to lookout for coming soon

Stormlands (oculus)
Defector (oculus)

Heaps of others I literally have too many to play. Anyone who says there is no good titles on VR are talking rubbish imo.

Don't forget to nab the freebies there are plenty on steam and Oculus

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, really very useful thanks.

I’ve heard mutterings that it’s possible to get the VR version of Elite I’d you own the standard, is this true?

Soldato
Sure, Elite is one of those that works in VR just by option select.

There's many Flat screen games that offer that, a few with paid DLC, and a few with separate VR developed titles. Some of the best VR deals are when stuff like Elite drops on sale, because they're popular games that have sold tons and can be had for super cheap.

Elite is currently on a weekend deal -65% that ends at 6pm tonight.

Associate
War Thunder is very good in VR (the 3d effect is top notch) if your stomach can handle it.
It's the only game that makes me feel very dizzy and I'm fairly immune to motion sickness.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Personally I'd avoid using the Oculus store.
I'm conscious that it's trying to tie you to a single HMD manufacturer. So for example, if you were to buy Elite on the Oculus store, can you then play it on a Samsung Odyssey ++ (or whatever might be available in a years time)?

As for games. In my opinion, VR shines the best in sims.
As already mentioned, Warthunder is a good shout for straight arcade fun.
I've tried Asseto Corsa in VR, that was pretty awesome.
You already have Elite, which scratches the space sim itch.
IL2 BOS is brilliant for WW2 and runs really well.
DCS is my "go to" for flight sims, but requires a completely different level of commitment to learn to fly with, being probably the most accurate sim around. unfortunately, it's an utter resource hog.
I've tried Xplane11 in VR. For me, had even worse performance than DCS and still looked worse. Wasn't impressed.

Soldato
Make sure you have a go and recalibrate your seat height lower in dcs, so when you stand up it feels like wing walking, sick bucket optional :D

Soldato
Just seen Everspace on Steam for £5.74. Enjoyed it on PS4 (not VR). I'm tempted - anyone tried it in VR?

It's great, much improved performance wise since the early release. It's very much a game pad game though, a HOTAS can be set up, but you lose quite a lot in response in an
environment where a lot of twitch movement is required.

Worth every penny at the sale price, I had a 40hr run and enjoyed every minute of it.

Associate
Welcome to the future!

Keep an eye on the Oculus Store and Steam sales, there doesn't seem to many key sellers selling VR titles just yet.

As mentioned check out the VR section on here

Associate
It's great, much improved performance wise since the early release. It's very much a game pad game though, a HOTAS can be set up, but you lose quite a lot in response in an
environment where a lot of twitch movement is required.

Worth every penny at the sale price, I had a 40hr run and enjoyed every minute of it.

Thanks for the insight. Might have to make the purchase! Now have widmovr lenses and vrcover for my Odyssey+ which has really improved the experience and comfort and looking to venture out into other non simracing titles :cool:

Soldato
... and have a LinkBox for quick disconnect ...

Hi WantoN :)

I've recently been playing around with my VR setup, and I've got some questions you may be able to answer...

What is a LinkBox?

And, do you disconnect your Oculus and/or sensors after each play?

I ask because I've always just kept the Oculus connected to my computer - but I do know it gets warm even when you're not playing it...

Regarding VR Game deals - Yes, unfortunately, VR games do tend to be slightly more expensive - But they become somewhat more affordable in the deals.

Oculus have deals on very regularly - and Steam is also great for those seasonal deals.

You could also try IsThereAnyDeal.com :)

Back
Top Bottom