First ever image of a black hole!

Associate
pah, black holes are passe,

the real mind bogglers are neutron stars, they are so dense that a normal-sized matchbox
containing neutron-star material would have a weight of approximately 3 billion metric tons.

But a black hole's density is even higher...hence why light cannot escape it's gravitation pull.

Caporegime
I think this is incredible. I always remember talking to my science teacher in the 1970's about black holes and he kept remi ding me that they were just a theory and we didn't know if they actually existed. Now we have detected them everywhere, have evidence of one at the heart of our (and all) galaxies and have a picture of one. We have come such a long way so quickly.
I bet he feels like a right doughnut today :p

Soldato
Problem is looking at it 2d in photo, is it a sphere of nothingness that sucks everything into or a disc or is it a 4 dimensional object ?

It's basically spherical yes rather than a disc and with the gravitational waves we recently detected we now believe there are no more 'spatial' dimensions, it's just the 3 we've got.

Soldato
It's allegedly destructive and is black. I demand public outrage over this unnecessary stereotyping!

Also was this picture taken somewhere around Parliament as there seems to be a black hole in the vicinity of accountability and democracy these days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That is a very big donut.

It's quite easy to forget things like the fact that until now we haven't had so much as a picture of a black hole, what with the thousands of sci-fi movies books and TV Series!

Back
Top Bottom