First ever image of a black hole!

Man of Honour
Problem is looking at it 2d in photo, is it a sphere of nothingness that sucks everything into or a disc or is it a 4 dimensional object ?

It depends what you mean by "black hole" and 4 dimensions. If it's the volume of space contained within the event horizon, it's a sphere in 3D and in 4D if you're counting time as the 4th dimension. If it's the actual thing itself, nobody knows what it is let alone what shape it is or if it has a shape. "singularity" may as well be short for "haven't got a single idea" :)

Soldato
Problem is looking at it 2d in photo, is it a sphere of nothingness that sucks everything into or a disc or is it a 4 dimensional object ?

Er, its a sphere of darkness that warps light around it so you'd see a distorted effect as light bends around it. There is usually a disc surrounding it consisting of matter spiralling into it which is ironically often very bright as its emits intense radiation. The rotation of the disc prevents matter from disappearing straight into it as would be the case if it were above or below. The same reason the planets circle the sun in flat plain known as the ecliptic as they're derived from a disc of material as well. It warps the 4th dimension of time the closer you get to it. All objects with gravity warp time but because the gravity is so pronounced in such a small area its particularly extreme near a black hole.

Caporegime
A little more perspective on this historic moment:

56496300-2406755062668206-2578976364866568192-n.jpg

5 petabytes of data.

:eek:

Permabanned
I really don't get how a post about one of the greatest scientific discoveries ever has led to so much political correctness bashing, race related nonsense in this thread. :rolleyes::(

People think they're being satirical and clever. Unfortunately their black holes are letting no humour escape.

Well, I'm "part black" and my post had nothing to do with political correctness, so it isn't in the same vein as others'. As for humour: guilty as charged.

Soldato
Absolutely stunning, that.

Reading about space always helps ground me, in a weird way. Like, there's so much stuff out there, making us all almost insignificant. When you try and process the numbers in your mind and then think about the small issues that you're dealing with on a daily basis, it makes you wonder why you bothered worrying at all.

I've never seen one before - no one has - but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

A *white* hole?

Caporegime
Just to think it will take 10^67 years for a black hole with a similar mass to our sun to evaporate, this black hole is over 6 billion times the mass of the sun :eek:!

Soldato
I really don't get how a post about one of the greatest scientific discoveries ever has led to so much political correctness bashing, race related nonsense in this thread. :rolleyes::(

Just standard GD edge lord behaviour, pretending everyone else is always offended by shoehorning political references in to every thread they come across just to get offended themselves.

A little more perspective on this historic moment:

5 petabytes of data.

:eek:

Is that referring to the amount of data received by the telescopes involved in the project?

Back
Top Bottom