• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Had to rma my vega 64, started getting black screen crashes, random crashes with watt man saying its reverted to default settings due to "unexpected system failure" and worsening fps in games - all on stock settings as I've never ventured in over/under clocking gpu's.

That sounds similar as to what I been having lately too. Did it just crash silently and you had to restart or did it sometimes crash with a 7/8 second 'screeching' sound and restart itself ? I also been getting that wattman messages after them too.

Associate
That sounds similar as to what I been having lately too. Did it just crash silently and you had to restart or did it sometimes crash with a 7/8 second 'screeching' sound and restart itself ? I also been getting that wattman messages after them too.

Had to RMA my card recently for exactly the same issues. Black screen crash not doing anything intensive. Requiring hard reboot.

noj

noj

Associate

The screen would just go black and then sometimes it would throw me an error message and sometimes require a reboot. But no screeching sound from it

I also found that with black screen the other way to get it to show something would be by unplugging and then plugging the monitor into another slot on the gfx card.

Wattman would just randomly through out messages about system failure and reverting to default settings but I'd never changed any settings - I never saw the point.

Soldato
Had to RMA my card recently for exactly the same issues. Black screen crash not doing anything intensive. Requiring hard reboot.

Have you got any reply yet ? Or did they just send you a new card ? And where the crashes close or could be past 24hrs between them, even if you had the PC on most, if not all, of the day ?

The screen would just go black and then sometimes it would throw me an error message and sometimes require a reboot. But no screeching sound from it

I also found that with black screen the other way to get it to show something would be by unplugging and then plugging the monitor into another slot on the gfx card.

Wattman would just randomly through out messages about system failure and reverting to default settings but I'd never changed any settings - I never saw the point.

Alright, only had the screeching sound a few times and just for a few seconds. Never tried to unplug though, but then again using 3 monitors so all part one slot already taken. Have you sent it in yet for RMA ?

Associate
Have you got any reply yet ? Or did they just send you a new card ? And where the crashes close or could be past 24hrs between them, even if you had the PC on most, if not all, of the day ?

It's was sent back to OCUK for testing, I then got an email stating it's going back to Gigabyte for repair/replacement. As for the crashes, they were just random.

Associate
I don't know if it's related but over the last few days I've been having a lot of random black screens while doing random stuff like just browsing the internet. I don't know if it was a Windows update that broke something.

Also, over the past few days I've been testing out stability with most of the recent drivers and found that the drivers from 19.2.3 to 19.4.1 have been crap. They have been causing a lot of clock spikes which lead to crashes and just general instability during gaming.

19.2.2 seems to be the best one for me.

noj

noj

Associate
Alright, only had the screeching sound a few times and just for a few seconds. Never tried to unplug though, but then again using 3 monitors so all part one slot already taken. Have you sent it in yet for RMA ?

Yup sent in Monday it arrived at oc Tuesday morning and my replacement will arrive today.

noj

noj

Associate
so new card arrived today, plugged in (forgot to take a picture of it in order to join the roll of honour). Now this one is in its obvious the old one had developed a fault. This card is much quieter, and running cooler - when i first plugged it in I was worried as the fans were not spinning up but it seems the card was quite happy with the temperature and it wasnt until i ran a benchmark (i just used the benchmark in vermintide 2) that it got hot enough to spin up the fans...and thats when i really noticed how quiet the card is.

a good gaming session tonight, no crashes smoother fps. Happy with that

Associate
So 19.4.1 is a *********** for me. It broke my sound and caused crashing and blue screens while exiting games. Also MSI Adterburner 4.6.0 doesnt work with 19.4.1 so no custom fan control wich means its back to the sudden jumps in fan speed and a hot GPU.
Uninstalled with DDU and went back to 19.1.1, GET YOUR **** TOGETHER AMD.

Associate
PUBG has been crashing a lot for me lately. I don't know if it's something up with a driver, my card dying or the buggy game itself.

Soldato
@noj @AS_Platinum When you guys had your faulty card and it crashed for you, did it happen regularly or was it randomly as in could be days between ? Not had on since beginning of the week and PC been on almost constantly since.

Just wondering since if I send it back and they test it and nothing happens then it be hard for OcUK to get the same fault showing.

Associate
@noj @AS_Platinum When you guys had your faulty card and it crashed for you, did it happen regularly or was it randomly as in could be days between ? Not had on since beginning of the week and PC been on almost constantly since.

Just wondering since if I send it back and they test it and nothing happens then it be hard for OcUK to get the same fault showing.

Mine was very random and I too was unsure whether or not OcUK would be able to re-produce the issue. I can only assume they had, hence sending it onto Gigabyte.

Soldato
Mine was very random and I too was unsure whether or not OcUK would be able to re-produce the issue. I can only assume they had, hence sending it onto Gigabyte.
Thanks for your reply. And maybe shouldn't have posted the above, just had another crash and only had the PC on for a bit more then an hour. Guess I be opening (and here it crashed again, 5 minutes later) a support ticket. Which way is fastest, calling them tomorrow or making a thread in the OcUK Customer Service part of the forum, under Component Technical Support ? If anyone else knows, please fell free to reply as well. :)

I have switched out the Sapphire (which I had the problem with. And it was rather hot when I removed it from the board.) to my Red Devil, so hopefully it be fine for now.

Soldato
Been knee deep in The Witcher 3 lately. Noticed that backing off the OC does better in this game, and it's something I noticed in other more geometry heavy games. Probably on account of certain "parts" of the card being more stressed than others. Something to keep in mind.

noj

noj

Associate
Thanks for your reply. And maybe shouldn't have posted the above, just had another crash and only had the PC on for a bit more then an hour. Guess I be opening (and here it crashed again, 5 minutes later) a support ticket. Which way is fastest, calling them tomorrow or making a thread in the OcUK Customer Service part of the forum, under Component Technical Support ? If anyone else knows, please fell free to reply as well. :)

I have switched out the Sapphire (which I had the problem with. And it was rather hot when I removed it from the board.) to my Red Devil, so hopefully it be fine for now.

Mine would be pretty regular and especially in certain games - grim Dawn would guarantee a black screen crash every time

Might have been different for me as oc handled the warranty direct as I'd purchased a complete system from them and not just the gfx card.

I called tech support and they sorted in out straight away

Associate
I recently dialed my HBM down from 1100mhz to 1050mhz and it seems to have solved crashes I was experiencing. Odd because at 1100mhz i can run stress tests like Time Spy loop, FSE loop, Heaven etc for hours without a crash but somehow games would crash once in a while.

Also from watching benchmark videos it looks like the amount you gain at 1440P from an OC is probably about 5-10fps in most games at ultra settings. Not really worth the instability, power and heat.

Associate
I recently dialed my HBM down from 1100mhz to 1050mhz and it seems to have solved crashes I was experiencing. Odd because at 1100mhz i can run stress tests like Time Spy loop, FSE loop, Heaven etc for hours without a crash but somehow games would crash once in a while.

Also from watching benchmark videos it looks like the amount you gain at 1440P from an OC is probably about 5-10fps in most games at ultra settings. Not really worth the instability, power and heat.
I experienced something similar. I think its becuase games more VRAM than synthetic benchmarks. Like for example Dishonoured 2 would use all 8gb but Superposition would only use 3 to 4 gigs.

Soldato

Ok, that didn't work long. Just had another crash, this time with the Red Devil GPU. One funny thing though is that after the restart my two side monitors light up and my main didn't. So I turned the main on and off, and PC restarted again ? :confused:

Can the DP cable be faulty and cause the PC to crash/restart ? It's a new MB, new OS disk, a M.2, which I didn't have earlier. Thought it might been the GPU but having 2 of them with the same fault seems to be REALLY bad luck, especially since I had the Red Devil running for 3 months without a problem. And the 'crashes' started to happen at the beginning of March. (And thinking about it, the Sapphire was running fine for 3 1/2 month before the crashes started). The memory was bought in May last year so doubt it is that. The PSU is a be Quiet Straight Power 11 750W but I had that since May as well. Or can it be driver issue for me ?? I am using Windows 7 with the 18.12.3 drivers, which are old I know but had problem using the 19.3.1 drivers. Might try the 19.4.1. Although, thinking about it now, the 18.12.3 drivers is form December last year, and had no problem with them until these crashes started to happen.

If anyone has any ideas / suggestions, please fell free to post them. I rather not send away my GPU if that's not the fault, or can it be that I'm so unlucky that both my Vega 64's having the same problem ? :confused:

Associate
Ok, that didn't work long. Just had another crash, this time with the Red Devil GPU. One funny thing though is that after the restart my two side monitors light up and my main didn't. So I turned the main on and off, and PC restarted again ? :confused:

Can the DP cable be faulty and cause the PC to crash/restart ? It's a new MB, new OS disk, a M.2, which I didn't have earlier. Thought it might been the GPU but having 2 of them with the same fault seems to be REALLY bad luck, especially since I had the Red Devil running for 3 months without a problem. And the 'crashes' started to happen at the beginning of March. (And thinking about it, the Sapphire was running fine for 3 1/2 month before the crashes started). The memory was bought in May last year so doubt it is that. The PSU is a be Quiet Straight Power 11 750W but I had that since May as well. Or can it be driver issue for me ?? I am using Windows 7 with the 18.12.3 drivers, which are old I know but had problem using the 19.3.1 drivers. Might try the 19.4.1. Although, thinking about it now, the 18.12.3 drivers is form December last year, and had no problem with them until these crashes started to happen.

If anyone has any ideas / suggestions, please fell free to post them. I rather not send away my GPU if that's not the fault, or can it be that I'm so unlucky that both my Vega 64's having the same problem ? :confused:

you would have to be very unlucky to get 2 bad vega 64's that had run fine for months. I have had a bad HDMI cable before which gave me all kinds of trouble and had me looking at other things until I just changed it for the sake of it, and it cured it.
I have to say all though I would say 750w PSU is enough it does not mean it cant fail or have a cap leak. there have been faulty PSU's from good brands reported before, when you have a fault like this it can be a money pit, but also annoying it keep happening.

first thing I would do is swap out PSU and eliminate that first. make sure its a single rail PSU and high enough output. if you have a friend close who would be willing to try one of your cards for a while with a decent system it might save you expense. or even willing to swap out PSU's

Back
Top Bottom