I genuinely think our devices listen to us

Soldato
This is a funny one because of the company's name, but also one of the best examples I've seen.

I don't own a Land Rover. Nobody I know does. I've never searched for them or JLR. I've never inputted JLR into any digital space (apart from this, now). I've owned our current car for 4 years and other than insurance haven't looked at any motor websites since then, etc etc. Then my friend comes down for the weekend and we have a good 20-minute chat about the state of Jaguar Land Rover because his dad works there and has taken voluntary redundancy, leaving them with all young people who can't design cars for toffee. "They won't make Land Rovers like they used to" etc.

Literally the next day I get this on Instagram:

a64Xn01.jpg

Like I've said before I pay attention to ads on Instagram and elsewhere because I work in the industry and find it of interest, so this isn't simply a case of confirmation bias. Such a niche product (you have to own a Defender for this to be of any interest whatsoever) with 63 likes as well and it's not like this is a shotgun marketing campaign, this is proper targeted.

Soldato
I know for a fact they do listen to us. I won't have an alexis or any of those "home" devices.

How do I know? Well I was at the pub with my wife and we got talking about it (she got one as a xmas present and wanted to use it and i've said no)

I said to her if I could prove that devices are always listening to us even if they are "off" would she then stop wanting to have the google home pod turned on. She said yes.

I told her that I was going to keep talking about a totally random subject, something that we'd NEVER talk about in any shape or form and any time.

"Holidays to russia" was the subject I wrote down on a beer mat. I said to her to take her phone out, keep it on standby, but set it on the table.

Now we have twin toddlers and there's no chat about holidays for us just now, never mind to russia. I don't fancy going to russia anyway so there's zero chance I googled it either, nor her.

I took out my phone and set it beside hers on the table. I started to talk about how I'd "LOVE TO GO TO MOSCOW FOR A HOLIDAY" directed towards the phones sitting there on the table. Conversation flowed throughout the night and every 30mins or so i'd say just how much I'd "LOVE TO MOSCOW FOR A HOLIDAY" always close to the phone on the table.

At home over that weekend, we'd been to the pub on the Friday night, I kept mentioning that I'd "LOVE TO GO TO MOSCOW FOR A HOLIDAY" during saturday and sunday. When we'd bathed the twins and put them to bed on Sunday night, I returned downstairs and sat with the wife on the sofa having a glass of wine and about to fire up Friends to watch a few episodes. I went on to my phone and was reading the liverpool match report on the Dailymail app. The very first advert on the app, spondored by Taboola or some guff, was weekends in Moscow flying from London.

Phones ARE listening to us and nobody will ever disuade me of that fact.

Man of Honour
Phones ARE listening to us and nobody will ever disuade me of that fact.

Is the Netflix app installed on her phone? I have trouble proving it conclusively but I've notice a strong correlation between that and ads on obscure subjects popping up.

Capodecina
Soldato
You "genuinely" think your devices listen to you?

Is there another way you might think this?
Could you pretend to think that your devices are listening to you?
Could you have your fingers crossed while you think your devices are listening to you?

Soldato
They are listening, I don't know why it's even disputed.

It's called Surveillance Capitalism and there was a thread in SC about it the other day: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/surveillance-capitalism.18850964 I wrote a pretty long post in there about it but the fact it's listening is just one of the exceptionally worrying aspects about it.

If this was a government spying at this level people would be up in arms about being within the depths of an Orwellian nightmare, but it's not a government, it's just several large multinational tech companies with revenues larger than many governments and tech capabilities that Orwell, Herbert and Huxley wouldn't have even dreamt of.

You can't talk about it without sounding like a tin foil hatter but that doesn't make it wrong.

If you have any sense at all you'll go through every single one of your apps on your phone and disable microphone, camera and location services access to everything that doesn't obviously need it and even then set it to "only while using the app".

Here's the post I wrote there

Soldato
Assume all devices are keeping a log of what you are doing. Because most are.

To get rid of it completely you pretty much need to shred it's storage in to tiny bits.

Last edited:
Associate
Let us assume for a moment that the tech companies do listen continuously and have the processing power for this, and that they also have sophisticated enough algorithms to trawl through all the data to target you as an individual.

Why would you presume they don't know you visit a public forum?

Why would you presume they don't know your handle?

Why would you presume they're not processing your every post?

Do you think they would take kindly to your musings?

Wait...

What's that behind you!

Soldato
Let us assume for a moment that the tech companies do listen continuously and have the processing power for this, and that they also have sophisticated enough algorithms to trawl through all the data to target you as an individual.

Why would you presume they don't know you visit a public forum?

Why would you presume they don't know your handle?

Why would you presume they're not processing your every post?

Do you think they would take kindly to your musings?

Wait...

What's that behind you!
They do know all that. I joined a guild in an old mmo Earth and Beyond and when I went onto Facebook it recommended me friends with people I played with but had no contact outside that forum or game. Which is one of the many reason I do not use Facebook anymore. Well that and I got fed up of consent stupid cat and other pointless photos.

Back
Top Bottom