RIP Diesel?

Soldato
I hoped diesel was dying off, but the revelation that the new Audi S6 and S7 will be diesels has made me sad.

that said having seen the performance figures i'm quite impressed 350bhp 500+ ft/lbs of torque, and 40+mpg . with an interesting hybrid system on the sytem

Caporegime
that said having seen the performance figures i'm quite impressed 350bhp 500+ ft/lbs of torque, and 40+mpg . with an interesting hybrid system on the sytem
I hate to say it, but it’s not all about the performance. The v10 S6 was the pinnacle S6 IMO, as it went well and made a superb noise whilst doing so.

Soldato
To be totally honest with you - I’m not a gear head or anything, so I’m admittedly naive in this topic - I imagine a Diesel gets you much more MPG than a petrol car?

Yes in most scenarios it does.

But it also smells bad and makes an awful noise.

I’ve driven many and currently have a diesel. I’m absolutely ditching it at the earliest opportunity and going petrol. I won’t look back.

Soldato
To be totally honest with you - I’m not a gear head or anything, so I’m admittedly naive in this topic - I imagine a Diesel gets you much more MPG than a petrol car?

A heavy v6 diesel in a heavy car won't get your great MPG. I'd expect you'll see in the 20s if you have lead boots. Plus diesel costs more (about 8-10p per ltr in places).

But yea, why would you want a powerful v6 or v8 which sounds like a transit van :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is absolutely nothing wrong with diesel (Well, nothing that isn't also inherently wrong with all ICE vehicles) in the correct applications. My understanding is that it is still better for the overall environment - diesels release less CO2 which, contrary to popular belief, hasn't stopped being an issue since everyone went mad over diesel. A petrol car is worse for the overall environment than a diesel car, but the issue with diesel cars is that the local air quality generally tends to suffer more than if you were driving a petrol car.

So fill a city centre queue with rubbish old diesels and you've got a big problem you wouldn't have in the same queue with a load of rubbish old petrols.

Diesel is the answer to a problem created by governments - punitive fuel duty. People in Europe overwhelmingly drive diesel cars because fuel in Europe is exceptionally expensive. Look at markets which do not apply punitive duty to road fuels and you will almost without exception find very few if any diesel cars. Nobody drives a diesel in Dubai. Everyone drives a diesel in France. Why? The answer is fairly obvious.

Man of Honour
A heavy v6 diesel in a heavy car won't get your great MPG.

My car has a 260bhp 3 litre inline six diesel engine. It weighs almost 2 tonne. It routinely returns circa 50mpg on the sort of driving for which it was designed and built. It's crap around town, but you shouldn't be buying this sort of car if all you do is drive around town.

But yea, why would you want a powerful v6 or v8 which sounds like a transit van :/

It sounds nothing like a transit van.

I still don't believe we currently have a credible alternative fuel for large executive cars in Europe. EV isn't there yet - I can't buy a full EV 5 Series or a full EV E Class, all I can buy is plug in hybrids which drag around a load of batteries and are powered by a 2 litre 4 pot at motorway speeds - and pure petrol examples are noticeably more thirsty at speed.

Diesels should never have gone anywhere near small cars and I'm glad the trend is very much against them now. We have a petrol Mini Cooper - it does 50mpg. It's absolutely ideal. A car of that size and type does not need a diesel engine. By contrast the 540i I had for a few days last year was hilarious fun, sounded great and drank like a fish. Good fun for a few days when its somebody elses but pointlessly annoying when you've got 300 miles to cover at 70mph.

The move in favour of SUV's makes the anti diesel thing even more an issue - a large petrol SUV needs to virtually tow a tanker behind it to have any sort of sensible range. Meanwhile the 3 litre diesel Q7 I hired was quiet, refined and did 700 miles on a tank.

Soldato
There are no cities in the UK (Or even Europe?) which will tax you harder for driving a modern diesel than a modern petrol.

Again, have to say I’m naive with this (have to say that at the rate some motor posters have jumped down my throat in the past :p) - but I thought that the small area in London that they’re taxing something like an extra £11.50 a day (?) was regarding Diesel cars?

Man of Honour
Again, have to say I’m naive with this (have to say that at the rate some motor posters have jumped down my throat in the past :p) - but I thought that the small area in London that they’re taxing something like an extra £11.50 a day (?) was regarding Diesel cars?

Euro 5 and older only. A 2013 5 series diesel for example is not charged.

Soldato
Euro 5 and older only. A 2013 5 series diesel for example is not charged.

With that hanging over my head - if I were in the market for a car - that would be enough for me to consider a petrol car - I can’t see how it won’t get worse in the coming years.

Man of Honour
It isn't on a rolling basis though - a euro 6 diesel is significantly better (in theory and legislation is invariably based on theory) in terms of particulates so there is far less reason to want to discourage their use. Push everyone to petrol and we'll start having serious issues meeting co2 targets.

Man of Honour
A 2013 diesel is going to be Euro 5 as the spec was not approved until 2014 and therefore no 2013 car could be rated against it.

Not true.

All facelift 5 Series - introduced in 2013 - are Euro 6 compliant.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-revie...s/bmw-530d-luxury-facelift-first-drive-review

Mechanically the changes are slight, but useful. All engines are now Euro 6 emission compliant and have improved aerodynamics

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/91208/bmw-5-series-range-updated

All engines across the 5 Series range are now Euro 6 compliant, too. This means they meet the latest strict emissions standards set by the EU

Euro 6 was mandatory for all new vehicle type approvals from 2014 and all new vehicles full stop from 2015 but there were many released prior to this - they were the deadlines for compliance.

Back
Top Bottom