Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
Exciting nerdgasm purchase!

7Etehf8.jpg

PGKb2Zk.jpg

What the difference between a standard HDMI and this?

I'm sure there's a legitimate reason - It's just I've always been told that I should buy the cheapest HDMI cables as there are very few differences between the cheap ones and the stupidly priced "monster" cables :p

Caporegime
What the difference between a standard HDMI and this?

I'm sure there's a legitimate reason - It's just I've always been told that I should buy the cheapest HDMI cables as there are very few differences between the cheap ones and the stupidly priced "monster" cables :p

You're right, typically you get the cheapest you can find. But anything over 10-15m and you start to need better cables.

This particular one is a fiber optic cable. The reason for this for support of 4k @ 60fps, HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 across the distance needed along with a bunch of other things, copper just doesn't have the bandwidth.

I'm setting up a new home cinema, and my new amp is capable of all of the above. Even if my projector cannot display 4k content, I figured I would buy the more expensive cable and run it once rather than rip out an existing one later when I upgrade the projector. Eventually.

Soldato
I think it's mainly for long distances and when using things like arc/uHD that they become more beneficial.

Interesting...

This weekend I plan on punching a hole in one wall in my living room, followed by punching another hole in the other side, followed by running a HDMI cable into the wall, up into the loft, across and then down into the other wall. I'm probably going to be looking for around 15m of HDMI cable I should think... Should I be investing in something a little better than your standard off the shelf HDMI cable?

EDIT (Posted just after Phate posted his reply :p):

You're right, typically you get the cheapest you can find. But anything over 10-15m and you start to need better cables.

This particular one is a fiber optic cable. The reason for this for support of 4k @ 60fps, HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 across the distance needed along with a bunch of other things, copper just doesn't have the bandwidth.

I'm setting up a new home cinema, and my new amp is capable of all of the above. Even if my projector cannot display 4k content, I figured I would buy the more expensive cable and run it once rather than rip out an existing one later when I upgrade the projector. Eventually.

Right then, sounds like I definitely need to read into this more! Was the fibre optic HDMI cable very expensive?

Soldato
Depends on your definition of expensive :p

It was €51 for the 15m. What got me was how incredibly light it is. That's the fibre optic innerds for you :)

That is pretty expensive... but I'd hate to do all the work involved in punching the holes and tracing the cable over the loft and then find the cable fails :p

Caporegime
That is pretty expensive... but I'd hate to do all the work involved in punching the holes and tracing the cable over the loft and then find the cable fails :p
Something to keep in mind also. This particular cable and I believe many fibre optic if not all of them are are directional. So you have a source and a display end. Don't run all that cable and find it's backwards :D

Soldato
Something to keep in mind also. This particular cable and I believe many fibre optic if not all of them are are directional. So you have a source and a display end. Don't run all that cable and find it's backwards :D

Haha wow! Can you imagine :p Thanks for the very important tip! :D

Soldato
34h9nus.jpg

Revisiting my youth and introducing my daughter to the world of fighting fantasy :)
34h9nus.jpg

Massively approve of this.

Here is my collection, now actually a little bigger

IMG-20150920-122056.jpg

image posting

Back
Top Bottom