• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amd takes away another Nvidia sponsored title

Associate
I don't remember them as exclusives as such. I do remember that no other company stepped up for electronic distribution. Valve as far as I know has never signed an exclusive contract for games, it goes against the company ethos.
Well they didn't use exclusive contracts but rather forced DRM with steamworks which pretty much killed off physical pc games. I think it was around 2008 when every physical pc game had steamworks DRM and you were forced to install it from steam making physical pointless.

Valve still made some great games back then and had fantastic sales so I had no issues with Steam. Now they don't bother to make games because steam prints money and the sales are worse than console sales. Games you used to be able to get for a pound or two like oblivion or vampire the masquerade will be lucky to go for a fiver these days.

Permabanned
Well they didn't use exclusive contracts but rather forced DRM with steamworks which pretty much killed off physical pc games. I think it was around 2008 when every physical pc game had steamworks DRM and you were forced to install it from steam making physical pointless.

Valve still made some great games back then and had fantastic sales so I had no issues with Steam. Now they don't bother to make games because steam prints money and the sales are worse than console sales. Games you used to be able to get for a pound or two like oblivion or vampire the masquerade will be lucky to go for a fiver these days.

Forced DRM? Don't you think that publishers desired DRM? Piracy was ridiculous back then.

I will admit that I was happy to bin my collection of ~300 boxed games. They just took up too much space. I still have ~250 ZX81, Spectrum and QL games in the loft, maybe a few more PC games.

Soldato
I'm at 2,008 on Steam, 276 on GOG. It's already a nightmare just keeping track of what title is on what store. How do you do it with so many store fronts?
Rule of thumb. EA games are Origin, Ubisoft are Uplay, Wargaming games at the WG launcher, everything else Steam.
I do remember having some stuff in GoG I believe having there old games like Ravenloft etc.

And lets not forget individual launchers like ED, ESO, GTA. The list is humongous and very long. But keeping track. The day I will forget what's what, will be the day going to run to the doctor to be checked for dementia. :D

Associate
I don't remember them as exclusives as such. I do remember that no other company stepped up for electronic distribution. Valve as far as I know has never signed an exclusive contract for games, it goes against the company ethos.

Whether a contract was signed or not, and whether money changed hands or not, if it requires Steam and Steam only, then it's an exclusive. That's the meaning of the word.

As for Valve's ethos, the only one I can think of is "Make as much money as possible whilst doing as little as possible!". :p

Permabanned
Whether a contract was signed or not, and whether money changed hands or not, if it requires Steam and Steam only, then it's an exclusive. That's the meaning of the word.

As for Valve's ethos, the only one I can think of is "Make as much money as possible whilst doing as little as possible!". :p

An exclusive by default is your complaint? Again, Valve has never entered a contract for exclusivity. At anytime another store could have opened and sold the same titles.

It takes a lot of money to develop and maintain the infrastructure that Valve has deployed, which shows when you compare Steam to other store fronts. Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

Soldato
Just think, only buy games on the Epic store and HL3 will be out in a couple of years ;)
AHH but no.... HL3 would probably be a steam exclusive so those boycotting epic store will have to boycott hl3 too.

Seriously I do agree that that epic bloke going from exclusives bad to "introduce game store pushing exclusives" shows he is a massive hypocrite but such is the way of it with big business.
It's like valve whining now about exclusives locked to a specific platform and yet they are the ones who STARTED locking games to their crap storefront.
There is zero reason why any game should have to be locked to a platform be it steam, origin , uplay or epic .... But those complaining about that need to boycott all these platforms and only buy DRM free from GOG etc .

Soldato
I doubt there will ever be a HL3. Valve isn't really a games developer anymore and every developer and writer who made HL1 and 2 are long gone :(

Last edited:
Soldato
An exclusive by default is your complaint? Again, Valve has never entered a contract for exclusivity. At anytime another store could have opened and sold the same titles.

It takes a lot of money to develop and maintain the infrastructure that Valve has deployed, which shows when you compare Steam to other store fronts. Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

If there was such exclusivity we wouldn't have so many other competing stores - GOG,Desura,Twitch,Discord,Origin,Uplay,Battle.net,etc. Also agreed people have forgotten all the work Valve put into Linux gaming support,open source VR APIs,game streaming,etc. Now compare to that to the other competitors who take similar cuts. I would say only GOG have done even better in certain respects,ie,rescue older games,and release them as DRM free. The issue is despite some saying Valve is a bunch of lazy people,Steam still offers the best experience of all the launchers,despite their competitors like EA,etc having a ton of resources to make something better.

People should be asking the question is if Valve has been coasting along,and yet not a single competitor can offer something as good as Steam,then what the heck have their competitors been doing for around 15 years?? They can't even reach an apparently stagnant target.

Soldato
I heard they had started recruiting developers again? Also they are apparently working on 3 new vr titles (better late than never)

One will be HL2 VR. There was a beta around for a while but it vanished.

Epic is probably a lot cheaper than Steam right now. But once Epic get their exclusive publisher contracts they will pump up the price. They should see this one a mile off but obviously aren't.

Caporegime
Surely the thread titles wrong, as it makes it sound like AMDs snapping games away from Nvidia left right and centre, when in reality, they hardly sponsor any at all, let alone take them from Nvidia :p

Soldato
OP
Surely the thread titles wrong, as it makes it sound like AMDs snapping games away from Nvidia left right and centre, when in reality, they hardly sponsor any at all, let alone take them from Nvidia :p

Ay?
I think you find you wrong.
Borderlands 1, 2 and pre sequel are all Nvidia sponsored titles. I think amd getting number 3 calls taking away from the competition.

Also if you look back over these last two years alone I think you find Amd has be involved just has many if not more titles.

Hell Amd even taken ubisoft a company that was once nvidia all over it.

What has nvidia released lately? Metro and battlefield 5 and tomb raider.

Just this year amd has been involved in 3 released titles. Resi 2, devil my cry and division 2

Caporegime
Ay?
I think you find you wrong.
Borderlands 1, 2 and pre sequel are all Nvidia sponsored titles. I think amd getting number 3 calls taking away from the competition.

Also if you look back over these last two years alone I think you find Amd has be involved just has many if not more titles.

Hell Amd even taken ubisoft a company that was once nvidia all over it.

What has nvidia released lately? Metro and battlefield 5 and tomb raider.

Just this year amd has been involved in 3 released titles. Resi 2, devil my cry and division 2

As i said, title makes it sound like AMD have been taking everything from them, when they havn't, over the past god knows how many years, they've all been TWIMTBP, apart from the odd one here or there, as they are finished now, so i wouldn't say them getting 3x titles, just in this year, is anything to shout about. :D

Last edited:
Associate
As i said, title makes it sound like AMD have been taking everything from them, when they havn't, over the past god knows how many years, they've all been TWIMTBP, apart from the odd one here or there, as they are finished now, so i wouldn't say them getting 3x titles, just in this year, is anything to shout about. :D
To say it's only the fourth month in the year taking three games this year is something to shout about since it means they've taken a game every month near enough if they keep it up we could end up with twelve by Dec which is 'huge'

Caporegime
To say it's only the fourth month in the year taking three games this year is something to shout about since it means they've taken a game every month near enough if they keep it up we could end up with twelve by Dec which is 'huge'

No it isn't, when they take them every month, for a good few years, like Nvidia have been doing, then it'll be huge, for all we know, that 3 could be it for this year, and well beyond. :p

Soldato

Finished?

More gamers running AMD gfx worldwide ever since the consoles ditched Nv, AAA are designed for AMD gfx, TWIMTBP was just to wreck everyones performance so they upgrade their Nv gpu's.

AMD's keeping Nv trading by being second best on PC.:p

Soldato
OP
No it isn't, when they take them every month, for a good few years, like Nvidia have been doing, then it'll be huge, for all we know, that 3 could be it for this year, and well beyond. :p

Nvidia sponsored titles wasn't all the time. They had the main ones Batman, and Ubi games each year. They was spaced out through out the year like now. Only difference they have lost big companies to AMD. World War Z is another title coming soon followed by RAGE 2 in May.

Last edited:
Soldato
Much like the epic Vs origin Vs uplay Vs steam store I actually do not care if a game is sponsored by AMD or NV
That said I do want games to take full advantage of the features of my GPU, so that then by default means I Do tend to be more impressed by NV titles over AMD.

That said when not at the top end, people are correct AMD games do often run better on mod range hardware. One could argue however with less features enabled (physx and rtx does push ones GPU) then it is easier to get it to run better when supporting less features.

Back
Top Bottom