Sony XF90

Soldato
Was there any obvious box damage to the first one delivered...?

At first, I didn't notice it.

I asked them to take the box off in order for me to inspect the screen and found that one corner was damaged. Looking at the box, it was crushed on one side.

The box of the replacement today is holed but had a good look at the back of the TV and there is no damage - hence accepting it.

It's been a bit of a slog really. Went away last week and the builder dude I asked in to build a false wall got the measurements wrong. Come back from holiday to find it was 6cm too small!

Soldato
At first, I didn't notice it.

I asked them to take the box off in order for me to inspect the screen and found that one corner was damaged. Looking at the box, it was crushed on one side.

The box of the replacement today is holed but had a good look at the back of the TV and there is no damage - hence accepting it.

It's been a bit of a slog really. Went away last week and the builder dude I asked in to build a false wall got the measurements wrong. Come back from holiday to find it was 6cm too small!

Well hopefully the replacement will be fine for you once tested. At least you got prompt service from the dealer.

Enjoy your TV.

I shouldn't laugh at the partition wall, perhaps one day you might tho.
The TV is that big you could have split screen between two rooms, by fitting it within that 6cm gap.?

Always pays to improvise. :D

Soldato
People who are using this tv for 4k hdr gaming (either on PC or console), how good is it? Thinking of the 49 inch version to go in my gaming room. Have an LG OLED as my main viewing TV in the living room.

Soldato
People who are using this tv for 4k hdr gaming (either on PC or console), how good is it? Thinking of the 49 inch version to go in my gaming room. Have an LG OLED as my main viewing TV in the living room.

Phenomenal. Also the only TV <55'' that's 120hz as well afaik but you need to confirm.

Soldato
Great to know. I bought the Samsung 55Q6FN. I am very very impressed with the TV with the bright scenes in both SDR and HDR but not as much in the darker ones (probably as I've been spoilt by OLED). In addition to that it has some backlight issues which is why it's going back. Seriously considering this to replace it now but got to weigh up the cost difference (£150 more than the £700 I paid).

Last edited:
Associate
I am currently playing The Division 2 on it in 4K HDR on PC and it's outstanding. I was using my Dell 155Hz monitor until I tried it on the Sony and was really surprised how good it looked.

The HDR in this game is the best that I have seen so far, really showing the capabilities of the TV.

Soldato
I am currently playing The Division 2 on it in 4K HDR on PC and it's outstanding. I was using my Dell 155Hz monitor until I tried it on the Sony and was really surprised how good it looked.

The HDR in this game is the best that I have seen so far, really showing the capabilities of the TV.

You must have a beefy computer to play 4k, never tried 4k myself but I'm guessing my 1080 would struggle.

Associate
You must have a beefy computer to play 4k, never tried 4k myself but I'm guessing my 1080 would struggle.
GTX 1080 would play quite a few games at 4K with settings turned down a bit especially with optimized games like The Division 2.

I don't mind turning down a few settings with such a high resolution to get at least 60 fps. It's the HDR that really does it for me.

Some of the scenes in this game looks amazing. The game has dynamic time of day and sometimes the lighting is blinding and really colourful.

In darker scenes such as night time you will love the lamps and spotlight on the streets. The tunnels and underground levels have bright spot lamps and the gunfire lighting from the barrels are crazy good.

The HDR with the FALD on this TV does an impressive job indeed and I don't notice too much blooming either.

Soldato
the new LG's out this month are supporting 4k / 120hz with variable refresh. Looks like it's hdmi 2.1 though so none of the current gpus can support them

Soldato

Well I've only gone and done it. Coming tomorrow. Been the TV I've been eyeing for a year now since it came out. Happy to jump in at £840 considering how much it has been over the entire year.

HDR is generally outstanding anyway! Even though I have a 34 inch ultrawide 120HZ gsync VA monitor, since I saw the X1X in HDR on my LG B7 I knew I had to do something for my PC for the single player games. The Samsung I had, had excellent HDR, I was very impressed on Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Really looking forward to the XF90 arriving as it is generally meant to be better.

Soldato

Not at all, I play with a Vega 64, which the 1080 is more or less equal to. You'll have a great time! Just make sure to look for Hardware Unboxed Optimized settings, for best performance/visuals.

the new LG's out this month are supporting 4k / 120hz with variable refresh. Looks like it's hdmi 2.1 though so none of the current gpus can support them

Not quite. They went back on that promise. You really wouldn't want to use these OLEDs without BFI.

https://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-271...0-hz-finalement-indisponible-cette-annee.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to get it to work at 1440p 120hz. Just had to use CVT Reduced Blanking rather than CVT in AMD Control Panel when making the custom resolution. Awesome!

Soldato
You really wouldn't want to use these OLEDs without BFI.
why do you say that ? is there something specific for wanting it on oleds ?
I thought it was largely personal taste, I don't have the option on a pan led, and soap opera effect does not annoy me on 24hz material,
it's motion/frame interpolation mechanism is set to minimum.

Managed to get it to work at 1440p 120hz. Just had to use CVT Reduced Blanking rather than CVT
lost the thread - on an xf90 - yes ?
with an old hdmi1.4 graphics card, with that limited clock frequency, i was obliged to use RB to drive a 1440p monitor at ~40hz, but,
with a newer hdmi2.0 card, I would have thought clock/dac was plenty fast enough, so RB not needed ? but maybe it stresses a long hdmi cable less to use it.

Associate
Recently purchased a 49XF9005 grade A refurb from Sony. The TV is as good as brand new. After a fair bit of picture setting adjustments (including trying out some other people's settings) I`ve found the picture quality to be generally very good.

However, after reading a few online reviews (which helped me choose this TV), I'm left slightly underwhelmed by the Freeview PQ. I didn't expect much from SD channels, but HD channels aren't quite as good as I expected. Sometimes the PQ is really good, depending on channel/content, but other times it seems to lack a bit of detail and appears slightly "soft". I understand that some programmes will look better than others, but my old Samsung 40" TV was far more consistent, and did a much better job upscaling SD channels. I decided to try my old Freeview recorder through a HDMI input. After a bit of adjustment I`ve got a noticeably better picture. Detail and sharpness are better. The difference isn't massive, but it's enough for me to appreciate that this TV is worth the £629 I paid for it. Shame that Sony don't seem to have done as good a job with the internal Freeview decoder as they could have done.

I`ve watched a few 4K Youtube videos, and the PQ really is excellent. The bottom line is that it's all very well having 4K screens, but with the majority of people still watching HD or even SD content I believe picture quality is somewhat compromised by having to upscale to the 4K screen, even on TVs that are supposed to have good picture processing.

Soldato
why do you say that ? is there something specific for wanting it on oleds ?
I thought it was largely personal taste, I don't have the option on a pan led, and soap opera effect does not annoy me on 24hz material,
it's motion/frame interpolation mechanism is set to minimum.

lost the thread - on an xf90 - yes ?
with an old hdmi1.4 graphics card, with that limited clock frequency, i was obliged to use RB to drive a 1440p monitor at ~40hz, but,
with a newer hdmi2.0 card, I would have thought clock/dac was plenty fast enough, so RB not needed ? but maybe it stresses a long hdmi cable less to use it.
It's just the way they do motion, I can't stomach it otherwise.

Yes this was on the 55'' xf90.

Associate
Do you have overscan disabled ?
- Equally I guess you searched for online picture settings, also, mpeg noise reduction, I find, is manadatory for better PQ on sd/hd

I haven't seen an overscan setting. I have tried noise reduction settings though, which didn't seem to make much difference.

TBH, I'm getting used to the picture now, and am quite happy with the PQ overall. Some of the suggested settings I found online were pretty awful, probably due to differences between panels and personal preference.

Associate
I was looking at the KD55XF9005BU, I was under the impression that input lag was pretty bad on these sets.

Is that true? Or has this being improved with an update?

Also any idea how it compares with the Samsung QE55Q8DN?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom