RIP Diesel?

Caporegime
Comedy. When have big wheels ever been about going off road.

Pretty obvious that big wheels are mainly a cosmetic thing. (Some cars need big wheels because big brakes).

Caporegime
Comedy. When have big wheels ever been about going off road.

Pretty obvious that big wheels are mainly a cosmetic thing. (Some cars need big wheels because big brakes).

Why do you think big wheels were put on 4x4s in the first place? It’s about the only way to get real ground clearance increases.

Man of Honour
Am I missing something? myself and a neighbour have pickups with roughly the same size wheels/tyres but his has a suspension lift kit (and snorkel) as he actually uses it off road, etc. so vastly different clearance with the same size tyres.

Soldato
Am I missing something? myself and a neighbour have pickups with roughly the same size wheels/tyres but his has a suspension lift kit (and snorkel) as he actually uses it off road, etc. so vastly different clearance with the same size tyres.

Indeed the car and suspension is design around a totally different wheel centre to body relationship.

Nasher has taken us off thread as usual whilstrying to understand the balance a large wheeled diesel SUV offers people.

Last edited:
Soldato
The dpf equivalent, petrol particulate filters, seem to be cheap in comparison too - anyone testify to that.

( rubber production has some environmental impact ... so maybe big wheels/tyres are to be deprecated too.)

Caporegime
It’s not strictly true. The bigger profile tyres means the wheels don’t get that much bigger. Tyres come in families of the typical max diameter.

Were you meant to reply to [TW]Fox?

That’s a way of lifting the body and frame, but especially with solid axle (rather than IFS), it doesn’t actually increase ground clearance. Ground clearance is usually measured from the axle/diff, which is usually the lowest point on the vehicle. Sticking 35” tyres on a vehicle that had 32” inch tyres means you push the whole axle assembly up 1.5”. A suspension lift kit helps with approach, departure and break over angles, but doesn’t actually “lift” the vehicle itself.

Anyway, diesels! :D

Man of Honour
That’s a way of lifting the body and frame, but especially with solid axle (rather than IFS), it doesn’t actually increase ground clearance. Ground clearance is usually measured from the axle/diff, which is usually the lowest point on the vehicle. Sticking 35” tyres on a vehicle that had 32” inch tyres means you push the whole axle assembly up 1.5”. A suspension lift kit helps with approach, departure and break over angles, but doesn’t actually “lift” the vehicle itself.

Anyway, diesels! :D

LOL I'd completely forgot about the axel - though what my neighbour has had done is more than just lift the body but I dunno details.

Associate
I thought the big manufacturers would do something about the diesel cars, yet recently i've seen brand new audis with 3.5l upto 5l diesel engines... in their hatchback & saloon models!

Back
Top Bottom