Congestion charge ! Help needed please.

Associate
Hi all,

Just had a call from very upset daughter - she has received a letter demanding more than £500 as a result of non payment of CC. Daughter says she has never received original notice or subsequent demands - I believe her, she moved into her 1 st owner occupier place around this time. I don't know if she informed DVLA about the change of address, does this have a bearing ? Daughter does not dispute she was there at the time but has never received what I assume was the original penalty notice or any further correspondence.

Any advice or observations would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Soldato
If it is £500 then it has likely already gone through the court system.

What you need to do is get that judgement set aside if you intend to dispute the charge and make a defense. However, it sounds like you might not have any basis for arguing a decent defence and so will lose anyway and have to pay £500.

As for not being given the chance to pay the original £130 fine, unless you can show you changed the registered address on time, that is likely a losing battle.

Also check for CCJs, as one may already exist. You may need to get a set aside judgement simply to try and get that removed. Then pay the £500 after losing (or not) but on time.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah get it set aside at the court - not being informed of the process is as much reason as any for this to happen - you would not have been able to defend it, especially if there was address changes at the time - changing the address shows prudence on your daughters part.

If successful (I’ve had something reset for less) all will be reverted to the normal £130 - pay that and you’re good. The stat Dec costs a few quid though, worth it to avoid the CCJ however.

Can't type for toffee
Don
As others have already said you can’t use not changing addresses, if that is what she failed to do as a defence.

I did

Got a bailiff letter for over £800 due to a tax mixup
We'd moved twice and bought a home since the dated "crime" quite why they were never able to locate me I dont know as I dud update everything
Had to goto curt and make a statute declaration that Id never been contacted about this before.

Don
I did

Got a bailiff letter for over £800 due to a tax mixup
We'd moved twice and bought a home since the dated "crime" quite why they were never able to locate me I dont know as I dud update everything
Had to goto curt and make a statute declaration that Id never been contacted about this before.

The difference here is that you did update your docs. The OPs post seems to imply that the daughter hasnt / didn't update her docs.

If she did update, then challenge it. If she didn't, out of luck IMO.

Soldato
How did she manage to do this in the first place? It literally couldn’t be clearer where the congestion charge zones are - and to do it multiple times?? (I assume) - as her dad, I expect you have already had this conversation with her but blimey - what a silly sausage!

Lesson learned - we all did daft things at a younger age

Back
Top Bottom