The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
So my 3 month old eos r developed two faults today during an event shoot! So have to send it in to get fixed.

Fault 1: Av mode deciding to calculate correct shutter speed initially then ramping it up to a completely incorrect speed on shutter press. (Like going from 160s to 2000s) No biggy just switched to full manual but kinda funny.
Fault 2: then about 4 hours later the back screen completely turned off and never came on again. Again whatever I can shoot without it.

But Canon seriously wtf is this garbage quality control.

It's fine though I needed to send two lenses back to get corrected anyway so I guess this is the worlds way of telling me to sort it out.

Caporegime
Associate
Lenses arrived today :)
Really liking the 24mm, haven't tried the 85mm yet.

30stw87.jpg

Caporegime
haha I meant the actual image, was it taken on the wedding day? did the whole wedding party go there? how did the public react?

It was just us for the photo, New Yorkers don't care, but you would need a permit to take professional photos there, you would be fine with a single camera but i had a tripod and off camera flashes and there are plenty of security around to stop people.

Associate
I shot my first portraits with it over the weekend and had some very nice results. Only annoying thing is the 85mm are a little soft at F1.4 and F1.8 but very sharp at F2. By F2.8 I think it’s sharper than my 90mm which is surprising as I thought I had a good one.

Caporegime
I shot my first portraits with it over the weekend and had some very nice results. Only annoying thing is the 85mm are a little soft at F1.4 and F1.8 but very sharp at F2. By F2.8 I think it’s sharper than my 90mm which is surprising as I thought I had a good one.

Strange, mine is sharp at the centre at f1.4 (for f1.4). Yes it needs f2 or f2.8 to sharpen up the corners and make the centre outstanding. Most reviews have the Sony 85mm GM sharper at the centre than the Sigma or Zeiss although both of those are better wide open at the edges. It should be the sharpest 85mm you can buy at f1.4,

But who needs sharp across the frame when shooting portraits at f1.4? Everything towards the edge of the picture is going to be out of focus anyway..........

Associate
Strange, mine is sharp at the centre at f1.4 (for f1.4). Yes it needs f2 or f2.8 to sharpen up the corners and make the centre outstanding. Most reviews have the Sony 85mm GM sharper at the centre than the Sigma or Zeiss although both of those are better wide open at the edges. It should be the sharpest 85mm you can buy at f1.4,

But who needs sharp across the frame when shooting portraits at f1.4? Everything towards the edge of the picture is going to be out of focus anyway..........
How sharp? Every review I’ve seen sample images of have also been slightly soft at F1.4
I got a bundle deal with the 24mm so could be a pain trying to return it if it’s not a good one.

Back
Top Bottom