• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
Astonished at the bargain prices around right now, had a friend after a PC upgrade for his daughter and just managed to build an Ryzen 5 2600, with 16GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM and a decent MSI B450 MATX board for <£290. When you consider OCUK want £260 for a 9600K it was a no brainer really. Just need to decide on which GPU now, there's a £99 RX 570 which seems tempting as it's only used for light gaming, seems crazy to by something slower for more, wahter ever I chose it's gonnab e better than the Geforce 560 that is currently being used. :p

i wouldnt touch a used rx unless it was 60-70 because you can buy them new for like £120-130. you get two games which you sell for £40 instantly.that means brand new rx 570 for less than what you pay 2nd hand.with warranty.

Soldato
i wouldnt touch a used rx unless it was 60-70 because you can buy them new for like £120-130. you get two games which you sell for £40 instantly.that means brand new rx 570 for less than what you pay 2nd hand.with warranty.

£99 was the new price, from a local computing store. Not that it matters as the choice has already been made, grabbed a second hand GTX 1070 from Gumtree for £140 boxed, with all the accessories, all fitted and working smoothly.

Caporegime
i seen the deal from a dodgy site without games.you can get that card with games sell it and still cheaper. the games go instantly on members market. nice to hear you bagged that for that price seems very low hopefully its not been mined to death.

Soldato
i seen the deal from a dodgy site without games.you can get that card with games sell it and still cheaper. the games go instantly on members market. nice to hear you bagged that for that price seems very low hopefully its not been mined to death.

Yeah, I thought it might have been but it turns out the guy is just breaking his gaming system down as he didn't sell it as a whole, and he is clearing his house to move to Australia, lucky B'stard. :p

Soldato
I cheaped out on my M-ATX motherboard due to a lack of options as no-one does an X370 or X470 M-ATX board

The following x370/x470 are available in M-ATX in UK btw:

• Asrock X370M Pro4
  • Asrock X370M-HDV
  • Gigabyte GA-AX370M-Gaming 3
  • Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H
  • Biostar X370GT3
There's a few more as well I'm sure

Edit: The X470D4U from Asrock should be out this month as well

Caporegime
Good to see AMD Laptops ^^^ :)

AMD are making great strides in the user build and enthusiast market, really they are taking huge chunks out of Intel's share every quarter but OEM is where AMD are still very weak, from what i have been reading around they are now pushing hard into the OEM space and winning contracts, its where the real money is.

Bank of America have raised AMD's value again from $30 to $35 a share, they are expecting to see significant revenue and margin growth 2019, 2020 and 2021, from $6.5bn to $8.5bn in 2019 at from 36% margins to 38%.

Permabanned
If that idle power fix is true with all the Ryzen 3000 APUs,it really helps fix the major weakness of the Ryzen APUs in laptops,which was idle power draw.

Really?
Well, I can tell you that my Acer Nitro 5 stands quite well with battery life - up to at least 7-8 hours - I leave it in the evening and in the morning, it's still alive.

Soldato
Really?
Well, I can tell you that my Acer Nitro 5 stands quite well with battery life - up to at least 7-8 hours - I leave it in the evening and in the morning, it's still alive.

It had a bug - idle power draw was worse than equivalent Intel ones. NBC showed the measurements. The Asus has 1/3 to half the idle power draw of the Acer Nitro 5 with a Ryzen 7 2700U.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It had a bug - idle power draw was worse than equivalent Intel ones. NBC showed the measurements. The Asus has 1/3 to half the idle power draw of the Acer Nitro 5 with a Ryzen 7 2700U.

I don't see any proof - can you point to the specific measurements and data?
I told you that a real world difference is not present. 7-8 hours on my Ryzen 5 2500U is a very serious achievement.

Soldato
I don't see any proof - can you point to the specific measurements and data?
I told you that a real world difference is not present. 7-8 hours on my Ryzen 5 2500U is a very serious achievement.

Read the review. The idle power draw is massively reduced.

eaJlqDh.png

Even AMD state this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/..._mobile_idle_power_consumption_seems_to_have/

General usage:

2700U: 8.1h

3700U: 12.3h

Video playback:

2700U: 6.9h

3700U: 10.0h

Anandtech found the same problem:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13771/amd-ces-2019-ryzen-mobile-3000-series-launched

For the new second generation parts, AMD stated that laptops with them should aim for a set of modern standards that include 12hrs or more battery life, 10 hours of video playback (which they call the 'LA to Tokyo Test'), have voice wake, support 4K streaming video, gaming, and modern standby. With that said, we're all very curious to see how the battery life claims in particular play out; all of the first-generation Ryzen mobile laptops we've reviewed have demonstrated problematically high idle power consumption. So this is AMD's chance to fix the Ryzen mobile platform for the next generation of devices.

Here is where they talk about it in an earlier review:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13726/the-lenovo-thinkpad-a285-review/6

Digging Into Power Draw
On any system there are always various components drawing power at all times. The display is generally the highest power consumer on any system at idle, and the amount of energy it draws varies on the size, brightness, and resolution. For instance, the display of a Surface Book 2 15-inch draws about 7.65 Watts at 100% brightness. Setting the display down to 200 nits drops its power draw to 4.1 Watts. Meanwhile the rest of the system pulls just 1.43 Watts at idle.

Raven Ridge, it appears, has a power draw problem. We saw it on the Acer Swift 3, and we’re seeing it again on the Lenovo ThinkPad A285. The base power draw is quite high, which makes the battery deplete much more quickly than it should. Let’s look at some numbers:

For this test, we've set the display to 100% brightness while the rest of the system is idling, with Windows set to shut off the display after a couple of minutes. The graph above includes both the Surface Book 2 (Green/Blue) and the ThinkPad A285 (Red), plotting the total power draw of each system. Since the display itself is only on for a couple of minutes, the first part of the graph is with the display at 100%, while the remaining section of the graph shows the system's average idle power draw.

Breaking things down, we see that the ThinkPad A285 starts out with an average power draw of 8.62 Watts with its display on and the system idling. Waiting a few minutes for the display to turn off, and we see that the average system power consumption drops by just over 4 Watts to 4.6 Watts. This is a significant drop, but not significant enough. The Surface Book 2 in the same scenario idles at a little more than one-third of this, meaning the A285 – and specifically, the Raven Ridge platform inside – is drawing an additional 3 watts at full idle. This is a huge amount of power to draw at idle, and leads to the less than amazing battery life results on Raven Ridge devices.

Some of the draw will be from the DDR4 memory, since most Ultrabooks leverage LPDDR3 to reduce the power usage, but that is not going to be all of it. It looks like AMD has some work to do in order to get its power usage in check if they want to better compete in the laptop space. They need their Haswell moment.

Both NBC and Anandtech have mentioned the issue. The Ryzen 3000 fixes it.

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
^ This is extremely disappointing. Should have tried to pull forward the launch of new 7nm CPUs, even if for preorder only, and try to make the AE out of one of those new chips.

Back
Top Bottom