The Tesla Thread

Associate
I'm in California at the moment having taken a bit of a detour through Nevada, and I've seen a staggering amount of these on the roads since I got here 9 days ago. Way more than the Model S/X.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ideal climate, very good incentives (both federal and state) and a pretty mature infrastructure for them. It’s also a pretty built up and affluent state in general.

Basically, it was designed for California.

Soldato
Just thinking what todo with my reservations for the model 3.

If it gets delivered in q4.... what vehicles are available from other manufacturers and their prices?

Nothing, unless you want to join a 9+ month waiting list, spend £60k+ on a Jag, or buy an overpriced new Leaf with worse range and inferior charging. Also as I said Q4 seems unlikely, more likely Q3 if you don't want a base spec car.

Soldato
OP
So the $35k Model 3 is dead.

I guess they fulfilled their promise by having it available for about a month.

The cheapest one “on menu” is now $39,500, the SR+ with AP.

The AP was changed itself about a month ago. Buying a Model 3 used is going to be a nightmare in future.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/11/telsa-35000-model-3/

On the flip side a few RHD cars have been seen driving around in California, so they may be available in the UK relatively soon.

Thanks for linking the article.

Pretty disappointing news to be honest. Given the growing competitiveness of this market I think this may come back to bite them.

That said, there is in my eyes still no credible alternative!

Soldato
Pretty disappointing news to be honest. Given the growing competitiveness of this market I think this may come back to bite them.

That said, there is in my eyes still no credible alternative!

Even if they don't release the $35k model here and the lowest base price is £32-33k after the grant, in my eyes it is still a pretty good value vs. the competition, which as you said there is none presently. If only Hyundai and Kia would up their output, but even then those vehicles are not competing in anything other than range, and price.

I'd also say the depreciation on the M3 would more than likely be less, due to it being more useful to more people as they have the Tesla charging network and can use rapid chargers now they have CCS, and the bonus of up to 200/250kWh charging speeds which no one else can offer at this end of market yet.

Soldato
For me the SR made no sense when the SR+ was available. If you can afford the SR, you could afford the SR+ which has more range and a better interior for hardly any more cash.

But in terms of competing EVs, there’s nothing in the UK currently. Let’s be honest the Nero and Kona are just not in the same league as a M3 and have 14 month waiting lists. The Leaf is just way overpriced and a worse car in every way unless you need a hatch.

Caporegime
Depends on how you use the car as well. With my usage/mileage I'm factoring in at least a £10k saving in fuel costs over the lifetime of the car. Obviously this would only be over an ICE equivalent.

Plan on keeping it for the long haul (10 years+), do mega miles, or charge for free somewhere?

Caporegime
Even if they don't release the $35k model here and the lowest base price is £32-33k after the grant, in my eyes it is still a pretty good value vs. the competition, which as you said there is none presently. If only Hyundai and Kia would up their output, but even then those vehicles are not competing in anything other than range, and price.

I'd also say the depreciation on the M3 would more than likely be less, due to it being more useful to more people as they have the Tesla charging network and can use rapid chargers now they have CCS, and the bonus of up to 200/250kWh charging speeds which no one else can offer at this end of market yet.

They updated the European sites last night, you can now order the SR+ version in Germany, France etc, for 47,000 euros. So £40k, or £36,500 with Incentive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I checked Germany, France, Spain and Holland, so same as the UK regarding VAT. The prices vary a bit and several of the numbers you initially see include government incentives of some form.

We obviously don’t know the UK price until it’s up, but £40k is probably realistic. I think you’ve always been a few thousand too optimistic with yours, but you never know.

Caporegime
Portuguese taxes have hit this thing hard. SR+ with white paint, 19" wheels and white interior is coming in at €54k :eek:

I am not due a company car yet but ownership isn't looking likely at this stage. Unless I lease it.

Whats funny, is significantly cheaper Nissan Leaf is more expensive to lease due to Nissan being greedy and putting a larger tax on the car

Comparing to other vehicles, this thing is actually competitive to lease. In Portugal at least.

Soldato
The order page for the UK should be up in a few weeks, along with other RHD territories (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1116729797239902208). Should have a nice idea on pricing then.

Personally I think the SR+ (on-menu base model) will be between what Amp34 and Journey is guessing here. ~£35-£36K after PICG. But we'll see soon. For those not aware, it's now bundled with Autopilot as well. That's no longer an optional addon.

Last edited:
Associate
my preferred config is SR+ with blue paint and white seats. hoping it can squeeze under the £40k tax barrier. have tickets for Fully charged in June so planning on having a good look around (test drives?) then before deciding.

i also need to check it will fit in our garage. even with folded mirrors I think it might be tight.

still, the car and tech does appeal.

Soldato
I just ordered one for my wife last week as she does 1000 miles a week at the moment.

Long range, blue, white interior, 19” wheels and autopilot. Collecting it on Friday if all goes to plan. Very easy process, and out of the 60+ cars I’ve bought, it may be the most hassle free and pleasant experience of all!

Soldato
I just ordered one for my wife last week as she does 1000 miles a week at the moment.

Long range, blue, white interior, 19” wheels and autopilot. Collecting it on Friday if all goes to plan. Very easy process, and out of the 60+ cars I’ve bought, it may be the most hassle free and pleasant experience of all!

Great to hear! I'm sure she'll love it. I was very impressed with the vehicle when I saw it in the metal. The blue colour is also lovely. Didn't get to drive it, sadly, but everyone I know who has loved the experience.

Back
Top Bottom