Recommendations for commute headphones please

Soldato
My trusty gold ring ns1000 are on the way out, and I'm looking to spend about £100 on a replacement pair.

Things I liked :
- active noise cancellation
- closed back to avoid angry train passengers
- replaceable cable to prolong life
- comfy and lightweight
- if batteries died I could still use them

Things I didn't like :
- cable snag on armrests all the time yanking them off my head exiting train
- sounded rubbish when on board amp not on
- aaa battery instead of rechargeable (not major as I have rechargeable aaa batts)

So I guess I'm looking for some decent wireless headphones that can used wired if the battery dies, and active noise cancelling would be a nice bonus. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE which are on sale on amazon to fit my budget, but am open to suggestions.

Soldato
My trusty gold ring ns1000 are on the way out, and I'm looking to spend about £100 on a replacement pair.

Things I liked :
- active noise cancellation
- closed back to avoid angry train passengers
- replaceable cable to prolong life
- comfy and lightweight
- if batteries died I could still use them

Things I didn't like :
- cable snag on armrests all the time yanking them off my head exiting train
- sounded rubbish when on board amp not on
- aaa battery instead of rechargeable (not major as I have rechargeable aaa batts)

So I guess I'm looking for some decent wireless headphones that can used wired if the battery dies, and active noise cancelling would be a nice bonus. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE which are on sale on amazon to fit my budget, but am open to suggestions.

Sony CH700Ns. They're closed but have a bit of noise leak. Nothing crazy or extreme.

The senny 4.50s are very uncomfortable but nice sounding. Bit cramped soundstage. CH700Ns have crap build qualituy but are lower profile, have ANC too, closed back to a degree, very very comfy and lightweight (honestly the second most comfy headphones I've had), has a replaceable cable but works with Bluetooth, also has a 37 hour battery life with ANC enabled and 45ish when its not on.

Soldato
OP
Sony CH700Ns. They're closed but have a bit of noise leak. Nothing crazy or extreme.

The senny 4.50s are very uncomfortable but nice sounding. Bit cramped soundstage. CH700Ns have crap build qualituy but are lower profile, have ANC too, closed back to a degree, very very comfy and lightweight (honestly the second most comfy headphones I've had), has a replaceable cable but works with Bluetooth, also has a 37 hour battery life with ANC enabled and 45ish when its not on.
Those were the other pair I was looking at. I've heard the ANC isn't much to write home about, but I can't imagine my ancient ns1000s are exactly industry leading either. That's just a minor thing. Build quality is a thing I care about, but in this budget I'm not exactly expecting much so as long as you think they are up to surviving daily use on a commute then that's good enough for me.

Soldato
Those were the other pair I was looking at. I've heard the ANC isn't much to write home about, but I can't imagine my ancient ns1000s are exactly industry leading either. That's just a minor thing. Build quality is a thing I care about, but in this budget I'm not exactly expecting much so as long as you think they are up to surviving daily use on a commute then that's good enough for me.

yeah the ANC is average but its the king of comfort + sound quality.

build quality i dont think they are up to scratch tho... they dont feel very robust to me but i dont mind that.

Soldato
OP
Sony CH700Ns are down to £84 st the rainforest...just seen them on hot uk deals
Yeah I saw that, I think I'll take a punt on them at that price.

Thanks gents! Amazon reviews never seem to help me make my mind up ("they're the best hing since sliced bread" / "the worst thing that has ever touched my face and gave me ear cancer!") so it's nice to know at least one person rates them (barring build quality, which is a risk, but for 85 quid... ).

Soldato
I think for £100 it's probably nigh on impossible to get great sound, good ANC and good build quality. £100 gets you great sound and well made wired headphones. Throw in all in the electronics needed for the DAC, Bluetooth, battery, etc and something has to be below par somewhere.

I think the Goldring NS1000 were originally a lot more; although they did drop quite a bit in price over their lifetime. Maybe the aforementioned Sony's are the best for headphones with ANC for up to £100; I don't really know to be honest.

Other options might be drop ANC and just look at Bluetooth headphones, or maybe consider Bluetooth IEMs.

Associate
The previous gen Bose quiet comfort have been available for a little over £100 a few times recently. They're not my favourite sounding headphones but the noise cancellation is some sort of magic, and I think they fit your criteria.

Soldato
OP
I think for £100 it's probably nigh on impossible to get great sound, good ANC and good build quality. £100 gets you great sound and well made wired headphones. Throw in all in the electronics needed for the DAC, Bluetooth, battery, etc and something has to be below par somewhere.

I think the Goldring NS1000 were originally a lot more; although they did drop quite a bit in price over their lifetime. Maybe the aforementioned Sony's are the best for headphones with ANC for up to £100; I don't really know to be honest.

Other options might be drop ANC and just look at Bluetooth headphones, or maybe consider Bluetooth IEMs.
Yeah I appreciate that. These are just workhorse commute headphones. The NS1000s only cost me 60 quid back when I got them (6+ years ago?) and they've been grand. I'm not expecting the world anyway, just something reliable that I don't have to keep buying replacement cables for. I have a work iPhone and a usbc android phone so adapters are also a pain. I'm not actually stuck on the ANC, but it is nice on the train to cut out the rumble.

Soldato

I've listened to every bluetooth headphone sub <£300 and none of them sound that good.

The bluetooth headphones market wants:
1. ANC
2. Fashionable
3. Maximum passive noise cancelling
4. Ergonomic design
5. Minimal sound leakage

Basically they trade sound stage, openness, sound quality, etc. for what seems to make life easiest.

The Sony CH700Ns have the WORST ANC from the Sony headphones but the best sound quality.

Soldato
I've listened to every bluetooth headphone sub <£300 and none of them sound that good.

The bluetooth headphones market wants:
1. ANC
2. Fashionable
3. Maximum passive noise cancelling
4. Ergonomic design
5. Minimal sound leakage

Basically they trade sound stage, openness, sound quality, etc. for what seems to make life easiest.

The Sony CH700Ns have the WORST ANC from the Sony headphones but the best sound quality.
Really? Try the Bowers and Wilkins PX. Absolutely stunning.

Back
Top Bottom