• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Insane for downgrading?

Associate
OP
You threw £100 away for a worse gaming experience. The sensible thing to do would be simply hold the 1070ti but I think you know that hence why you started this thread. ;)

Really? The graphics card sold for less than it cost new, and the point I should take away from that is that 'I threw away the £ difference'. Your ability to quantify subjective value is astounding.

I could buy a new Vega 56 with the money left over from the GPU sale + RX 550, so in pure GPU power terms the money I've thrown away is only the difference between a Vega 56 + RX 550 vs 1070 Ti, plus fully working FreeSync in all screen modes that the nVidia card couldn't deliver - difficult one to quantify.

And then there's the other dimension of time - I'm not playing triple A games right now so the 1070 Ti would just be depreciating in value, plus I decided it wasn't quite fit for purpose anyway and would ideally need to be upgraded sooner rather than later, etc. Complicated factors.

Soldato
Dude, if my Gran had a pair of balls then she'd be my Grandad.

You've spent £150 and you're sitting there with a second hand RX 550. Now you're asking the Internet if you've made a good move and the answer is no.

Associate
OP
Dude, if my Gran had a pair of balls then she'd be my Grandad.

You've spent £150 and you're sitting there with a second hand RX 550. Now you're asking the Internet if you've made a good move and the answer is no.

I spent £50 on the RX 550 not £150. By your logic then I must add the depreciation cost of my old hardware to any other component I purchase to replace it, whether upgrading or downgrading.

Associate
Really? The graphics card sold for less than it cost new, and the point I should take away from that is that 'I threw away the £ difference'. Your ability to quantify subjective value is astounding.

I could buy a new Vega 56 with the money left over from the GPU sale + RX 550, so in pure GPU power terms the money I've thrown away is only the difference between a Vega 56 + RX 550 vs 1070 Ti, plus fully working FreeSync in all screen modes that the nVidia card couldn't deliver - difficult one to quantify.

And then there's the other dimension of time - I'm not playing triple A games right now so the 1070 Ti would just be depreciating in value, plus I decided it wasn't quite fit for purpose anyway and would ideally need to be upgraded sooner rather than later, etc. Complicated factors.

Any reviews would show you the RX-550 capabilities in games against the 1070ti, so with your view of not losing out on the money front to much, you have achieved your goal, saved money and got a lesser GFX card.
dont see any need for a thread about insanity. the bench marks are there for all to read and you know what you want and don't want.

pointless thread really.

Associate
OP
Any reviews would show you the RX-550 capabilities in games against the 1070ti, so with your view of not losing out on the money front to much, you have achieved your goal, saved money and got a lesser GFX card.
dont see any need for a thread about insanity. the bench marks are there for all to read and you know what you want and don't want.

pointless thread really.

Half the internet is pointless - it's called 'content'. That you've replied to this pointless thread tells me you've endorsed it and it's got your neurons firing.

By all means, point me to the review sites showing the GTX 1070 Ti vs RX 550 @ 3440x1440 in appropriate games for comparison. Let's hear the expert take on the merits of the RX 550's low GPU power versus it's uncanny ability to output unusually high resolutions / refresh rates with FreeSync.

Associate
Half the internet is pointless - it's called 'content'. That you've replied to this pointless thread tells me you've endorsed it and it's got your neurons firing.

By all means, point me to the review sites showing the GTX 1070 Ti vs RX 550 @ 3440x1440 in appropriate games for comparison. Let's hear the expert take on the merits of the RX 550's low GPU power versus it's uncanny ability to output unusually high resolutions / refresh rates with FreeSync.

your issue mate, you look! pointless thread as I said, click bait only. and anyone with half a brain would know you are insane :D so you got your answer.

Associate
OP
your issue mate, you look! pointless thread as I said, click bait only. and anyone with half a brain would know you are insane :D so you got your answer.

Edit for being a bit harsh: But seriously, who else is dissatisfied with PC performance in the wider context of the terrible overpriced state the graphics card industry is in and isn't tempted to throw in the towel on high-end PC gaming one way or another?

Are those who sell/downgrade their gaming PCs and buy a console also 'insane'?

What about those who may go for Google Stadia type solutions, in which case the lowest-powered but high hz - high res / FreeSync graphics card may end up in quite some demand?

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone slap this guy. No seriously you can do whatever suits your needs graphically. Most upgraded so the response to downgrade is generally regarded as anal .Enjoy what you have although a 100htz 1440p ultrawide really deserves nothing less than a 1080ti/2080

Ive never downgraded.

Not just pcs either, everything. Whether it my car, my house, my pc, my phone, my sound system, other electronics etc. I’ve always had this feeling like downgrading is a failure

Maybe too much consumerism in me

Associate
OP
Ive never downgraded.

Not just pcs either, everything. Whether it my car, my house, my pc, my phone, my sound system, other electronics etc. I’ve always had this feeling like downgrading is a failure

I think the only time I've downgraded previously was when I had a slot 1 Pentium III - 800 MHz O/Ced to 1160 MHz, which I swapped for a Duron 800 MHz and pocketed the cash. Can't fully remember why - maybe I was that desperate for money or maybe I was moving over from an AGP motherboard.

Fortunately not had to downgrade anything else (property, car, etc). The fact I'm not feeling at all that bad about this graphics card downgrade is something reassuring.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ive never downgraded.

I do it all the time. I go through cycles where I sell my expensive card that will severely depreciate for something cheap that won’t before new cards are coming out.

My Titan XP cost me like around £30 to keep for 5-6 months (mainly the insured postage cost). Played all I wanted and as I know I won’t be gaming much until next year, I sold it. If I sold it after getting a 3000 series card, I would have sold it for less than half the price. Now a GTX 970 I got for £75, how much will that depreciate? £10, £20?

Usually I do this a month before new cards come out, but as I am not gaming these days and likely won’t until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, I thought best sell now. Granted it won’t work for all, but I only play single player games and it works for me :D

Associate
OP
^Agreed - smart moves made.

Oi, report back. Your worthless smug ill-informed opinion mandates further follow up discussion about exactly how you're superior and right, which you aren't.

Associate
I thought the 1070ti would have been decent at 1440p, I would have just kept the card as it wasn't going to lose much more than it already had

Last edited:
Associate
I don’t think PC gaming is expensive at all, I mean you can make it expensive if you want, or you can make it cheap and still have a superior gaming experience over a console. No chance will I be going back to a console. Personally if I was you, would have gone down to a 570/580 purely because of the additional VRAM. If the 550 suits your needs then who are we to judge?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I agree with what you say in the rest of your post, but what I do find silly is the notion that selling a card for a loss just to downgrade is a smart thing to do. The smart thing to do would be to buy the 550 in the first place.
Depends though, needs change. Why keep a card that you will not use for ages and let it further depreciate?

Associate
He has asked us to judge?

I agree with what you say in the rest of your post, but what I do find silly is the notion that selling a card for a loss just to downgrade is a smart thing to do. The smart thing to do would be to buy the 550 in the first place.

Fair point, I just think it’s constructive to offer an opinion rather than stating somebody is insane. Either way, I certainly wouldn’t drop down that much.

Soldato
Depends though, needs change. Why keep a card that you will not use for ages and let it further depreciate?

Further depreciate? He sold it for £300 having bought it for £400. He then had to buy a card for £50 and now has much less performance with no warranty.

He could've kept the 1070ti for another year and not "lost" much more than the £50 he spent on the 550. If a game comes up in the meantime that needs the power, it's there. If the card breaks in that time, he can RMA it.

Back
Top Bottom