New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Yeah kinda makes sense, yet again though an episode with too much feels, these are Starfleet Officers and have a duty, but they’re all too busy expressing their feelings and emotions and all that jazz...

Caporegime
I thought the docking things were a bit OTT at first but then realised that they're faster for transferring more bodies/gear aboard then much slower transporters.

Would have been more interesting to see a "black friday style" mass stampede with people getting slung out of the way, trampled etc.

Caporegime
I've said before, at this stage in its life Discovery is better than TNG

i.e the first two seasons of TNG are a bit ropey with the odd good episode.

The trouble is that people don't look at it objectively. People remember all of TNG in retrospect and get warm fuzzy feelings about the 7 years and 178 episodes they spent with that cast.

If you showed someone who had never seen TNG the first two seasons and asked for their opinion, it would be completely different to somebody who grew up with and watched the entire series and all the movies.

Last edited:
Associate
At least in TNG, they knew how to tell a story. Each episode had a start, middle and an end. At the end, there were plenty of warm fuzzy feelings with some of the episodes. I don't get ANY of that from STD.
Do I like any of the characters yet? No, not really. The only ones that I like are either already dead or not going to be there next season.
Each episode of TNG (even in the first 2 seasons) were teaching you a little life lesson, with the fun of those lessons being in space with some cool and funky starfleet officers.

They (TNG) tried to explain the sciencey stuff to us, without it feeling totally garbage - whereas, in STD we've got spore drives, which is basically just nonsense and a loop hole to allow the writes to get themselves out of any situation. Doesn't quite give us the suspense that a standard warp core gives us.

Discovery is not better than TNG, even at this stage.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

People keep saying "oh, the first two seasons of TNG were rubbish except for the odd episode" when defending STD. I don't think they give early TNG enough credit.

Season 1 has four or five flat-out bad episodes, one of which ("Code Of Honor") I could make a fair case for being one of the five worst episodes of any Trek series before Discovery. It has some that were a bit under-baked, but had enough going for them that they about worked. And there are a few that are genuinely good. Season 2 suffers a bit, with fewer utterly lousy episodes than S1 (though the clip-show season finale runs in the same circle as "Code Of Honor") but fewer truly good ones as well. But when it was good ("A Matter Of Honor", "Peak Performance" and the Borg introduction of "Q Who?") it was very good indeed.

After that...well, not for nothing is the trope called Growing The Beard, as soon as Frakes stopped shaving the series took off. But it had shown plenty of promise in those first two seasons as well. And, much as I rag on it, Discovery has shown both promise and occasional flashes of brilliance. It's even produced one of my favourite stories in all of Trek so far with "An Obol For Charon". But good God does it need work, and an axe taking to a good portion of the cast. Hopefully when this season is over we'll be done with Sarek and Amanda for example, as they suffer badly in comparison to their previous portrayal. !Georgiou is probably going to the Section 31 series so she'll be out of the way. Lose Tyler-Voq and L'Rell, this series has now done these NotKlingons to death.

And Burnham. Hoo boy Burnham. She badly needs her character re-tooling, and SMG going back to acting class in the break between seasons. I don't know what happened to her, the writing hasn't been all that great on the whole but she has been unremittingly rubbish since...probably the third episode this season. Though in fairness a lot of the cast were going to be shown up a bit by Anson Mount. You'd just sort-of hope that your lead actress would rise to the occasion (like Doug Jones did) rather than slide into an abyss of poor acting choices...

Detmer and Owosekun getting meaningful lines and roles in the stories has been good. The crowbarring in of backstory for Airiam was hamfisted at best but at least they tried. Tig Notaro's Reno wasn't used enough for me, but hopefully she'll survive to Season 3 (guess that'll depend on how expensive Notaro is).

Not going to say much about the latest episode yet, partly because I don't have much nice to say and don't want to provoke the STD fanboys, and partly because I plan to rewatch it together with the second half to see if that helps it.

***edit***

Almost forgot - wanted to say RIP for Vonda N. McIntyre who died recently, she was a novelist who wrote several Trek original novels and movie adaptations. She also came up with Sulu's first name Hikaru, which Star Trek VI made canon ten years after she coined it in her novel "The Entropy Effect".

Last edited:
Soldato
The big problem with STD is it's put all its eggs into the Mary-Sue Burnham basket. She's a poor character played by an average actress. That's simply never going to work as the focus for a whole show. Combined with poor to average storylines, far too much relationship drama where nothing happens except people standing around talking about their feelings, and STD has a long, long way to go. Sure, it looks shiny, but good sci-fi needs more than just visual effects.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Maybe instead of her going for emotion they should aim for something akin to Jolene Blalock's T'Pol in early ENT - flatten the whole performance. Just say that Burnham is striving for Kolinahr after the events of the first two seasons and leave it at that...

Caporegime
One of the best episodes so far minus the ott emotional goodbyes.
When We all signed up to Starfleet our family knew this was part of the deal, yet we gonna have a big cry over it.
My GF cried for FFS, she hates startrek and I basically have forced her to watch it... She cried. There's your target audience now.

I don't know where season 3 is going to go? The future I can only guess, which could be ludicrously good with picard, ds9 pop ups? I mean im sure they would want to tie it in somewhere.....

It's interesting.

I hate when people compare TNG to this.
You know people can learn from past mistakes, can learn to build better characters, learn what makes better arcs. If a later series doesn't do all of this, it's its own fault.

If they don't outright defeat the AI it's going to ruin the present, obviously it's going to be the precursor to the Borg some how... Just how they finally work that into the past.... I ... Hmm ... Time paradoxical bs.

Soldato
I was going to ask why there were no more ships to assist, but they answered that. I was thinking of binning it due to lack of space battles, but thats left me hooked waiting for next week.

Soldato
I tried to re-watch the episode yesterday and ended up skipping a ton of it - Hey Pike, there's a countdown clock behind you for Leland's Fleet arrival but let's have a lengthy goodbye sequence anyway!

My favourite part of the show is when Queen Popo arrives and starts doing her nuclear physics bit. Jett's reaction is so good.

Caporegime
I tried to re-watch the episode yesterday and ended up skipping a ton of it - Hey Pike, there's a countdown clock behind you for Leland's Fleet arrival but let's have a lengthy goodbye sequence anyway!

My favourite part of the show is when Queen Popo arrives and starts doing her nuclear physics bit. Jett's reaction is so good.

Was there an episode with her in cos I don't know how I missed it but I have...

Back
Top Bottom