Cooling capacity minimum/recomendet/not sufficient

Associate
Hi all!

i have some minor "issues" with my watercooled system and i thought maybe someone in a forum like this could help me out further.
the system is running fine and all but i think the temps are a bit to high for a custom watercooled system. first of all here is the spec list:

ryzen 1800x @3.8GHz*
crosshair VI hero*
32BG Gskill @3400MHz
2x GTX1080ti Founders edition (both watercooled)
corsair HX1000i
2x EK 360 PE radiator
D5 pump @ 3900 RPM
6x ek vardar fans @ 1200 RPM

*cooled by mainboard monoblock that cools CPU and VRM

after some gametime (2-4h) i noticed that both GPU's where around 62°C and also the CPU is around that temp.
that worries me a bit when you hear people like jayz two cents saying that this is way to high for a watercooled card...

what are you guys thinking? im using mayhems pastel white as a fluid. the fluid is fairly new so there should not be any build up. also recently i heard that glycol based coolants have a lower cooling capacity than distilled water. is that true?
do i need more surface area = more/thicker radiator? or should i switch back to distilled and dyed water?

if you need any more information just let me know (pictures, HWinfo screenshot, etc)

greetings and thanks a lot in advance

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

I would say that your temps are not that bad seeing as you are cooling a pair of 1080ti's, the cpu and the motherboard vrms as that is a lot of heat you are dumping into the loop. It's certainly nothing to worry about. If your water temp was 62 degrees then you would have a lot to worry about. A water temp monitor can be invaluable and I wouldn't be without one in my loop.

Associate
OP
allright. i ordered one now. i'll let you know how the temps are once i have it installed.
just to make sure, the placement of the sensor doesnt really matter since the fluid strives for thermal equilibrium. right?

Soldato
allright. i ordered one now. i'll let you know how the temps are once i have it installed.
just to make sure, the placement of the sensor doesnt really matter since the fluid strives for thermal equilibrium. right?

Right.

Do you know what your flow is? I would say ramp up the pumps and see if better temps, then ramp up fans under load. Those GPU temps are a bit high for WC norm but not too high, unless you mean the fans are running 1200RPM now which is pretty high already.

Sometimes poor flow can be the cause if something is blocked, usually in this scenario your radiators are fairly cool to the touch but components still hot.

Associate
OP
do you mean flowratio like L/h? the radiators get warm to the touch so the flow should not be too bad.
also the air that fans are exhausting through the top rad is warm too, not to warm tho. i removed the top glass panel now to see if that helps

i could ramp up the pump speed but at 100% its a bit noisy

Man of Honour
Placement of the sensor doesn't really matter. I used to have one at the inlet side of my rad block and one at the outlet side just to see the difference between temps before and after the radiators. It varies between 0.8 degrees C and 1.35 degrees C so in the end I removed one sensor from the loop and now have just one sensor at the return line from the rads before the reservoir.

I have a Alphacool VPP655 (D5 vario) with a Heatkiller top and run it at full speed all of the time. The pump is sat on a piece of foam and is completely silent. When I first got it I ran it at speed #3 but turned it up to #5 to see if it made anymore noise and it stayed silent so I just left it at that. If you have yours mounted directly to the case have you tried fitting decouplers to it which should stop any vibration being passed to the case. If you shop around you can get them for £2.50-5.00 a set.

Associate
OP
okay, i have an EKWB D5 PWM with a plexi top. it is mounted to the case via the bracket EK sells. the D5 itself has vibration dampening but the bracket does not. if that makes sense

Man of Honour
I know what you mean, it's that serrated rubber ring around the pump right? For less than a fiver I would get some for the bracket to case as well. There are normal and soft options, presumeably the soft option is even better at decoupling.

Back
Top Bottom