Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Soldato
All those endless boot cycles must have corrupted the bios. Had this pop up. Have reflashed bios 1 now and it seems ok

IMG-0595.jpg

Soldato
That are the slots they are supposed to be in although the manual doesn't say this. It is in small print at the end of the downloadable QVL list and I only found this out when @Parkinson1NX very helpfully posted the info up earlier in the thread. Why Gigabyte couldn't put that in the manual is beyond me. That's yet another area they need to improve on.

Instead of going faster and presumeably slackening the timings are you able to tighten the timings at 3600mhz? I found C16 at 3600mhz to be the sweet spot and anything faster with slacker timings doesn't do so well in most benchmarks that I have run. If you could do C15 at 3600mhz that would be bang on where you want to be. C14 would be even better but I doubt your kit could manage that without a significant voltage bump and maybe not even then.

Yeah Gigabyte should have put that in the manual. In every other board I've had there was a preferred pair of slots for just 2 dimms but I thought as this is a t-topology layout maybe it doesn't matter. Lesson learned.

Soldato
I think one person has, seems EK will be releasing their Mono Block for it nice week . Personally, would grab that and standard Xtreme if it means you can grab or improve in other area's of your system

Main reason I’m interested is there is the option to pickup a 5.1ghz binned 9900k in the same purchase of the Waterforce. I also I think it looks fantastic and cools a larger area than just the ek block will. Lastly I dislike the colour silver and the Waterforce board has a lot less silver than the normal extreme

Soldato
Main reason I’m interested is there is the option to pickup a 5.1ghz binned 9900k in the same purchase of the Waterforce. I also I think it looks fantastic and cools a larger area than just the ek block will. Lastly I dislike the colour silver and the Waterforce board has a lot less silver than the normal extreme

I think once the Xtreme heatsink is removed, silver amounts should be equal, but one issue i see with EKWB Block is having to undo the heatsinks which are also tied into the Back plate!!! be interesting on the installation process .

I cant find anywhere UK wise that does the bundle nor elsewhere .

@GIGA-Man might be able to shed some light . But since most 9900k overclock to 4.9/5ghz all cores, just grab one and enable Multi Core Enhancement to automatically do it for you, board can take the extra volts it'll put through . The Xtreme , as well as being designed for high overclocks with LN2 etc , the strongest factor was to run 9900ks at full speed doing AVX loads 24/7 without throttling and lasting the warranty of the board .

Man of Honour
Holy crap, £950 for a Z390 motherboard!! The price is what's extreme about it. All that tacky RGB as well. With most 9900k's topping out at 5-5.1Ghz surely there is little point in choosing a board higher than the Master and saving a massive chunk of cash? @orbitalwalsh If the standard Extreme is anything like the Pro the shroud over the heatsink and it's attached I/O shield is easily removeable which means that it could be removed to allow the heatsink removal and hopefully fit back on when the mono block is fitted. I actually removed the I/O shield on my Pro because the airflow in my system is front to rear across the board and the I/O shield would have trapped a pocker of air behind the rear VRM heatsink. The heatsink cover went back on once the I/O shield was removed. Of course this meant I had to make a tube between the led and logo on the heatsink cover or else it would have lit up everything around it but that was only a two minute job.

Soldato
Holy crap, £950 for a Z390 motherboard!! The price is what's extreme about it. All that tacky RGB as well. With most 9900k's topping out at 5-5.1Ghz surely there is little point in choosing a board higher than the Master and saving a massive chunk of cash? @orbitalwalsh If the standard Extreme is anything like the Pro the shroud over the heatsink and it's attached I/O shield is easily removeable which means that it could be removed to allow the heatsink removal and hopefully fit back on when the mono block is fitted. I actually removed the I/O shield on my Pro because the airflow in my system is front to rear across the board and the I/O shield would have trapped a pocker of air behind the rear VRM heatsink. The heatsink cover went back on once the I/O shield was removed. Of course this meant I had to make a tube between the led and logo on the heatsink cover or else it would have lit up everything around it but that was only a two minute job.

Most?

Is SL wrong, they report only 38% of 9900k sold hit 5ghz or higher and only 8% can do 5.1ghz or better

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake-r/products/9900k50g?variant=15392435896406

I'd assume if SL is wrong and most chips are capable of doing 5ghz then they would be out of business because no one would buy their chips at their higher prices for no benefit

About 2 months ago I asked my local PC store what they had been seeing for builds they did for customers and they told me most chips they tried to OC did no reach 5ghz, but maybe something has changed recently

Last edited:
Soldato
@pastymuncher its a whole different kettle of fish

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/KeyFeature/1042/images/Z390_XTREME.mp4

though it looks like heatpipes arent as bad to remove as i first thought , though personally would just get a good waterblock for the CPU

hoping EKWB have included a way to keep ideal of having the rear backplate as a heatsink , but wouldn't be needed

Most?

Is SL wrong, they report only 38% of 9900k sold hit 5ghz or higher and only 8% can do 5.1ghz or better

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake-r/products/9900k50g?variant=15392435896406

I'd assume if SL is wrong and most chips are capable of doing 5ghz then they would be out of business because no one would buy their chips at their higher prices for no benefit

About 2 months ago I asked my local PC store what they had been seeing for builds they did for customers and they told me most chips they tried to OC did no reach 5ghz, but maybe something has changed recently

be interesting to see how the new Step process is doing

@Grim5

make sure you have a good set of Ram! board can go higher then Master and with all 4 dimm slots populated

would be killer and prob same price or cheaper then xtremeforce+ 9900k bundle

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,257.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Most?

Plenty of guys in the 9900k thread hitting 5Ghz easily enough with some lovely low vcore's. Quite a few at 5.1Ghz and above as well. I wouldn't buy a OEM cpu from here, or anywhere else that bins cpu's.

Associate
Plenty of guys in the 9900k thread hitting 5Ghz easily enough with some lovely low vcore's. Quite a few at 5.1Ghz and above as well. I wouldn't buy a OEM cpu from here, or anywhere else that bins cpu's.

In the 9900k thread many are only using short runs of Aida64 or realbench to acheive those low vcore. Nowhere near what i would call stable as a gamer, even further off for people who use more intense avx workloads. I guess non of them could be sold as "stable" in retail as they would certainly have many coming back. The aida competition certainly confuses things for people newer to OC.

Man of Honour
At the end of the day what defines a stable overclock? Over the years I have had overclocks pass 24 hours of prime95 just to fall over when I launch a game. Back in the socket 775 days I used to spend well over a week just getting "prime stable". These days I set a overclock, test it with 20 passes of Linx then loop realbench for a couple of hours and if it passes that lot and doesn't fail while I am using the pc it's stable enough for me. I still enjoy getting the best out of my pc but it's not the same as the socket 775 days when you could potentially double the clockspeed. These days we are lucky to get a few hundred mhz over the boost clocks. Saying that, I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for a pre-binned cpu with a guaranteed speed. These days that extra 100-200mhz is going to make practically zero difference in anything.

Associate
At the end of the day what defines a stable overclock? Over the years I have had overclocks pass 24 hours of prime95 just to fall over when I launch a game. Back in the socket 775 days I used to spend well over a week just getting "prime stable". These days I set a overclock, test it with 20 passes of Linx then loop realbench for a couple of hours and if it passes that lot and doesn't fail while I am using the pc it's stable enough for me. I still enjoy getting the best out of my pc but it's not the same as the socket 775 days when you could potentially double the clockspeed. These days we are lucky to get a few hundred mhz over the boost clocks. Saying that, I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for a pre-binned cpu with a guaranteed speed. These days that extra 100-200mhz is going to make practically zero difference in anything.

I get your point. But after all that stress in the past i would find myself stable or very close. Many of the stable overclocks i see now i could crash easily in 5 mins. These people know that they could too.
Stable used to mean a lot more than it does today, it now means it doesnt crash with the workload i use. This to me muddies the waters a whole lot and takes a lot of the gravitas behind the word stable. It just ends up meaningless numbers. At this rate, we'll start seeing people buy hedt processors for web browsing and claim insane low voltages as stable.

Edit, maybe with these 8 core cpus we could give 2 sets of results. I'm thinking this because i am seeing a very large delta between peoples reported stable. Maybe with the higher core counts we will start seeing a larger difference between stable voltages, depending on work loads.

Last edited:
Associate
no problems with the Aorus Master + 9900k.

Had for 2 months now running all core @ 1.235v.

Realbench prime occt all run fine for hours.

If i drop to 1.230v i get WHEA errors but 1.235v is perfect.

Soldato

i felt like crying when i spent £280 on my aorus master - but hey ho - worth it imo

but the aorus water force - rip off - I'd take a 2080ti with a lower grade mobo anyday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom