**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
I got a replacement Pixel 2 today and it exhibits exactly the same problem. The screen is visibly tinted blue when viewed off axis.

I'm not sure what to think. Am I just overly sensitive and all of them do this? I can't find any complaints by Pixel 2 owners.

Can't say I've ever noticed any tint on my P2.
If I hold it to my nose and tilt it I guess I could see something shimmery as you said. Definitely no blue tint anyway that I can notice.

Associate
I got a replacement Pixel 2 today and it exhibits exactly the same problem. The screen is visibly tinted blue when viewed off axis.

I'm not sure what to think. Am I just overly sensitive and all of them do this? I can't find any complaints by Pixel 2 owners.

Is the screen grainy?

Associate
Can't say I've ever noticed any tint on my P2.
If I hold it to my nose and tilt it I guess I could see something shimmery as you said. Definitely no blue tint anyway that I can notice.
At a comfortable viewing distance you don't really notice a colour shift when rotating your phone if displaying a predominately white or light colour screen?

Is the screen grainy?
No, the screen looks smooth and clear regardless of angle.

Associate
Talk about frustrating. Part of me thinks maybe two phones from the same store could be the same batch and the same problem. The other says it must be something personal to me.

I'll give it a couple days and see how I feel.

Associate

Do you know when the device was made?

Associate
This one was built on 16/11/2017 in Taiwan Taoyuan A factory.
It didn't occur to me to note down the serial number of the first phone so I can't check that one.

They both came with android 8.0.0 and Sep 2017 security patch.

Thanks.

I have seen them in Argos & fancied getting one to have a dabble with Android Q but I am a bit reluctant as I don't want a screen that was built a long while ago when the screens where naff.

Soldato
Talk about frustrating. Part of me thinks maybe two phones from the same store could be the same batch and the same problem. The other says it must be something personal to me.

I'll give it a couple days and see how I feel.

Any in shops that you could compare to or a member close by with one?

Associate
I took the second Pixel 2 back for a refund. Disappointed as I really like everything apart from the screen.

I had a play with a bunch of Samsungs in a phone shop. A number of them suffered to a greater or lesser extent from blue shift. This didn't, however, cause me problems. What I realised with all these phones is a white background looked "flat" like a solid slab of colour. When tilting the phone the white shifted into blue but it still looked like a solid colour.

The Pixel 2s I had suffered relatively little blue shift compared to some of the Samsungs. The problem was when viewed anything other than directly perpendicular a white screen didn't look solid. It was shimmery, inconsistent and fleeting in a way that I can't describe. It prevented my eyes from settling and relaxing while reading. I also noticed, when compared to the Samsungs, the screen lost its sharpness/clarity when viewing text/icons at an angle.

When viewing pictures or video the problem isn't evident at all. I expect the next owners of these phones will be happy with their purchase if they don't use it for reading books.

Associate
I got in mine Feb 2018 and the battery still lasts all day.
Even my old S7 edge I gave to my mother still has decent battery and easily lasts her all day, although admittedly she doesn't do much web browsing etc.

Associate
Battery on mine varies massively on mobile coverage. It struggles to get through a day at home where it hangs onto a very weak 4g signal. Where as at work were I get good coverage I can go home with over 80% at the end of the day. This can be mitagated by forcing it onto 2g when at home. The iPhone 7 I had perviously was affected much less by poor signal.

Associate
well as wee experiment i charged mine to 100% and then left it overnight. Dropped 20% between 2300-0000 and 0600. So not great, but not the worst either. The wifes iphone 7 barely holds a charge these days so by comparison i cant complain

Soldato
Only issue I have with my P2 is the lag from unlocking using the finger scanner and having to wait a couple of seconds until it becomes responsive.
Battery does seem to be a little worse but I can hit a full day normally no problem and still have 20-30% but I'm a light user.

Associate
My 2XL seems to have developed a new issue.

The scrolling randomly becomes very choppy / sluggish, almost like its running at 5 or 10 frames per second. Fixed with a reboot when it first happened (yesterday), but its happened again today.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Back
Top Bottom