• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gtx 1080 at 4k 60 / 1440p 144hz; stick or twist?

Soldato
Main headlines:

4790k @ 4ghz
EVGA 1080gtx
I do sim racing (rF2, DR 2.0) on a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor.
Main PC gaming (Forza Horizon 4, Borderlands) on 4k 60hz freesync monitor
I love turn up all the bells and whistles

Main game I am excited about is Borderlands 3. Do I stick with what I got for now and wait til September to see if amd throw something powerful into the mix? Or just go all out on a 2080ti now and be done with it, ignoring freesync (gsync copatibbility doesn't work on either) or will nvidia do something come September?

Caporegime
1080 at 1440P is a nice combo, I wouldn't move to 4K personally.

I'm just changing to 3440*1440 with my 1080 and think it will struggle. Hopefully Gsync will smooth out any dips. 4k will really punish a 1080.

Have a look at UW 1440P. It's around halfway between 2560*1440 and 4K and great for racing games. Some excellent deals available too.

Associate
You'd be surprised my 1080 manages 4k pretty nicely!

I've had all different type of flagship GPU's have I've 6x different 980 Ti's 2 different 1080 Ti's and a Titan Xp (3840) in which I downgraded due to not using my pc anymore, and I've playing games like resident evil 2, NFS Outlaw, at very high and getting that 60fps with the occasional dip. I'd hold onto the 1080 for now as I doubt there will be new cards in September however Computex will have come and gone and we may have some news on the next gen which I wouldn't doubt.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for feedback so far!

So I already have both monitors mentioned and use them for different things. I am tempted by an ultrawide for racing (got a sim rig) but I probably can't do that and a new graphics card this year. With Forza Horizon 4 at 4k I have to play around with the settings a little, same with DR 2.0 on the 1440p monitor. I see Computex is end of next month, which I suppose is worth waiting for to see if something big comes out around September time.

Soldato
4K 144Hz monitors are great! (Okay, I run mine at 120 Hz.)

As for the future, very few people know. AMD could be announcing the new Navi, and if that's good then Nvidia will bring Ampere forward; if not, then Ampere will be out next year. I do think Nvidia will want to preempt Intel's offerings.

Soldato
Stick with the 2 monitors!
I've got a 4k 144hz screen for single player games and a 1080p 240hz screen for online fps games and switch between them, it's great having a second screen.

I'm really pleased with my 2080ti nvidia keep improving the performance with the drivers.

Caporegime
I went a different route, bought an LG 43” 4K TV to use exclusively as my monitor (having previously had triple 24” displays in Nvidia surround) whilst racing games aren’t quite as immersive, the bigger screen and higher resolution is much better than before, and if I find 4K performance dipping (which it doesn’t very much tbh) I lower the resolution so say 1440 which the TV then upscales back to 4K - still looks fantastic and tbh I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in quality but I’ve got higher framerates.

Upscaling varies between makes and models, a mate has a Samsung TV where this isn’t an option because whilst it does upscale the image it just makes the image look slightly blurry.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do all 4K TV's auto upscale to 4K? Is that why 1080P or 1440P doesn't look so disgustingly horrible on a 4K tv?

1080p shouldn't look horrible anyway as 4K is just 4x1080p screens and therefore doesn't need scaling.

Yes, 4K TVs all upscale but it's not always going to look nice

1440p looks good on my TV but just slightly softer than 4K.

Back
Top Bottom