Living room Extension (single story)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Your design specifically says that the internal skin is to be built from block, it couldn’t be clearer, read the text :p

Exterior skin of brick, 110mm cavity with 60mm PIR kingspan, then 100mm themalite blocks with render over internally.

Last edited:
Soldato
agree I wouldn't have expected it - as you imply, internal looks like it should be 100mm blocks, with 60mm insulation, and re:bolting - if the breeze block meets the 7Nmm/2 that's in spec;
... does what they have done limit any potential future 2nd storey.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Your design specifically says that the internal skin is to be built from block, it couldn’t be clearer, read the text :p

Exterior skin of brick, 110mm cavity with 60mm PIR kingspan, then 100mm themalite blocks with render over internally.

I am not overly concerned about this timber vs themalite blocks - reading online there is little difference between both.

I am not sure if this will impact the insulation etc. There is a fair amount of glass going into the frame.

agree I wouldn't have expected it - as you imply, internal looks like it should be 100mm blocks, with 60mm insulation, and re:bolting - if the breeze block meets the 7Nmm/2 that's in spec;
... does what they have done limit any potential future 2nd storey.

The bolting to the block is what worries me. As i say i am no builder but i would have expected that to be bolted into the floor. Surely that is a lot of weight to be held by a block.

Like on the one side its overhang and they can only get in one threaded screw.

overhang.jpg

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Get building control advice on that bolting, they will come same day if you call early. Speak to them on site directly without the builder in ear shot and get their opinion. I have done this numerous times and actually made builders make alterations as a result a couple of times. On my most recent build for example they did not like a few details regarding wall straps and missing noggins. Builder didnt want to do the extra

Re the timber frame - you are mad if you accept that. The engineered design is very clear and is presumably what you agreed with the builder under no uncertain terms. I find it amazing that it has not been followed and equally amazing that the discussion doesn't appear to have taken place between yourself and the builder to discuss the build before it went up. The timber needs to go, and the builder needs to follow the engineers design, there is no question about that. He cannot deviate from the engineering plans just because that is what he fancied doing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi there,

A block is not designed to be used it that way, there is not sufficient material to give strength to the fixing and all the weight on the corner from the posts is likely to crack the block. A steel frame should be fixed to a solid surface i.e the concrete foundations.

The fact that your drawing shows a typical masonry construction and your builder is doing a steel frame build (incorrectly, judging by what you have posted) and you have not been made aware of the design change is worrying, I would be requesting clarification on the frame design including structural calculations and design details of what is being built - specifically the foundation to wall junction detail. Or request he reverts back to the design intent of your drawing and specification.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Any update @kai ?

Building inspector was fine with everything. I had a discussion with the builder, and he has always done timber-frames, even looking online it just comes down to personal preference. If anything the timber frame should be slightly warmer. I was not overly concerned about the frame. I had reservations over the support across a concrete block. Two separate building inspectors have been onsite and said they are happy with everything.

I am now waiting on delivery of the glass and bi-folds. The electrics are all set out, with some extras such as lighting in the fascia and external sockets for outdoor speakers.

Brick Layer has also made a start.

IMG-2496.jpg

IMG-2511.jpg

IMG-2528.jpg

i do have a quick question. We have down pipe either side of the house front and back. The down pipe towards the left, is it normal for water to free flow down tiles to the guttering off the roof onto the extension roof?

IMG-2540.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice update, things are coming along nicely, and glad you’ve had reassurances from the building control inspectors.

Soldato
that's interesting have they cut/chipped out the outer brick skin on the original wall ? ... is there an rsj in there and the original wall/door is just a facade now

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
that's interesting have they cut/chipped out the outer brick skin on the original wall ? ... is there an rsj in there and the original wall/door is just a facade now

Yes, i have 2x new RSJ beams going across the span. Both have been cemented into place. As soon as the new bi-fold and windows arrive the interior wall will be coming down. The old (4yr old) patio doors are getting re-used to the right hand side entrance.

IMG-2541.jpg

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Project is slightly over budget to date. When the Bi-Folds and wall to ceiling glass arrives we will be up to £18,000 :(

The bricks will be finished Saturday then we need wait for the delivery.

Outstanding items.

Aco drain between grass / patio
Patio Slabs laid
Planting

Glass, Bi-Fold fitted, remove patio doors and fit in new opening.
PVC finishes on corners
Screed / insulate floor
Move interior radiator to extension wall (fittings in place)
Knock inner wall down
Plasterboard etc.
Finish Electrics (including outdoor sockets, lighting garden, music speakers)
Finish inside to room standard (flooring, skirting, painting etc)

IMG-2580.jpg

IMG-2582.jpg

Soldato
Project is slightly over budget to date. When the Bi-Folds and wall to ceiling glass arrives we will be up to £18,000 :(

The bricks will be finished Saturday then we need wait for the delivery.

Outstanding items.

Aco drain between grass / patio
Patio Slabs laid
Planting

Glass, Bi-Fold fitted, remove patio doors and fit in new opening.
PVC finishes on corners
Screed / insulate floor
Move interior radiator to extension wall (fittings in place)
Knock inner wall down
Plasterboard etc.
Finish Electrics (including outdoor sockets, lighting garden, music speakers)
Finish inside to room standard (flooring, skirting, painting etc)

IMG-2580.jpg

IMG-2582.jpg
Why is it so much? Out extension if similar size (3.2 x 3.8) was £15,000, although we didn't have build doors and there was no RSJ needed.

Soldato
Looking good, did you look around for the sleepers? (price wise?)

Ive got some pressure treated decking boards id like to do similar with but will need to buy more sleepers also

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Why is it so much? Out extension if similar size (3.2 x 3.8) was £15,000, although we didn't have build doors and there was no RSJ needed.

Builder is expensive plus. End size is 2.7 x 4.2m

1. We had to change plans a week into the work, as the foundations are as deep as 3m. We eventually ended up with a raft foundation costing an extra £1,500
2. Glass and Bi-Folds are Expensive (£2,000)
3. RSJ work. The amount of steal is over £700 . Frame, 2x RSJ's etc (without labor costs)
4. The amount of glass being used requires certain u values. We have to use thicker insulation plus we have a vaulted roof.

I have no doubt we could have found a cheaper builder but as per my original page 1 post. £2.1 - 2.3k per m2 for a ready to move in completely finished project.

Looking good, did you look around for the sleepers? (price wise?)

Yes, i found a reasonable deal. 20 sleepers = £600 with delivery. £30.00. I could have maybe found cheaper but i wanted the thicker 2.4mts long x 125mm x 250mm. Plus they offered same day delivery as i had 3 ton of soil arriving with them

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, i found a reasonable deal. 20 sleepers = £600 with delivery. £30.00. I could have maybe found cheaper but i wanted the thicker 2.4mts long x 125mm x 250mm. Plus they offered same day delivery as i had 3 ton of soil arriving with them

Cheers any good place for long screws to tie in. The sleepers? Think my decking boards where cheaper at the time but ill have to have a look!

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Update: Doors & Glass finally arrived.

rPpODTI.jpg

3Wp5WMR.jpg

Inside living room view.

2aBLsuF.jpg

The builders has been drilling away the edge today, as i need aco drains all around the extension. While doing this, i decided to steal his drill and make a start on the bottom end of the garden. I have started working on the sleeper wall for the raised beds.

7G3GOqT.jpg

Soldato
Update: Doors & Glass finally arrived.

rPpODTI.jpg

3Wp5WMR.jpg

Inside living room view.

2aBLsuF.jpg

The builders has been drilling away the edge today, as i need aco drains all around the extension. While doing this, i decided to steal his drill and make a start on the bottom end of the garden. I have started working on the sleeper wall for the raised beds.

7G3GOqT.jpg
I thought your new doors had measles for a second there. Looks good.

Back
Top Bottom