Does my dream case exist... ITX, glass panel, inverted MB

Soldato
Looking to build a SFF around the AM4 platform and looking for a decent case. The PC would be on my left hand side, for reasons, so I'd like the window side to be the right hand panel. This would obviously mean inverted MB and also means the GPU shroud would be visible, which is nice.

I've seen ATX cases like this but not ITX.

Criteria:
Quality construction (Alu?)
Understated/clean looks (not gamerzz bling)
Decent thermals
Filters if possible
Not gigantic for ITX but space for a decent AIO
£150 landed

I'd consider mATX too if the size won't be too much bigger.

Ideas? TIA :)

Soldato
Raijintek Metis Plus?

Main drawback against your spec would be the window; it's small. But fitting a full-size one is a common mod for this case, and not the toughest DIY job really.

There's also a Chinese knock-off version that already has a full side window. Not easy to order outside of China though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Raijintek Metis Plus?

Main drawback against your spec would be the window; it's small. But fitting a full-size one is a common mod for this case, and not the toughest DIY job really. Will check out modding posts for it, really wanted an off the shelf solution though.

There's also a Chinese knock-off version that already has a full side window. Not easy to order outside of China though.

The knock-off looks better than the real deal :p Was considering the Metis actually but the lack of whole glass panel is off putting. Windows are so last millennium

Slightly over your budget, but ITX. Inverted motherboard tray. Supports full size GPU's. Full aluminum.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antec-ekwb-cube-mini-itx-gaming-case-ca-24d-an.html

Free CPU cooler with it too

Probably a great case but too garish for me. I loved my Mini P180 back in the day, that looked smart (for the time)

Also, browsing on my phone but don't see the mention it cooler

Soldato
OP
Raijintek Ophion? (although you wouldn't see the GPU - sandwich design).

It got a real panning on a review I saw for noise and temps, though they tested it with no fans as it comes with none (who does this?!)

This one

It's an option I'm keeping in mind. I'd use an AIO in the roof and a slim intake on the bottom, but as you say the GPU is on the "wrong" side. And squished against the glass :p

Soldato
It got a real panning on a review I saw for noise and temps, though they tested it with no fans as it comes with none (who does this?!)

This one

It's an option I'm keeping in mind. I'd use an AIO in the roof and a slim intake on the bottom, but as you say the GPU is on the "wrong" side. And squished against the glass :p
Yeah, I saw that alright. I believe there were plans to include extension tubes that would hold the glass panels an extra 5-10mm away from the case, but sounds like an afterthought rather than a proper solution. The Evo version has extra room up top for a beefier AIO, but you still have your GPU problem.

There's the Streacom DA2 as well, which I like the look of, but it still isn't perfect for you; you'd have to mod the window in yourself, and it's already over budget. Don't think you could use an AIO in it without blocking the "view" either. With the raised pieces on the top and bottom, it's actually not the smallest case.

Soldato
Thanks, think I'm going with the Thetis, there's not much choice for what I want in ITX

Yeah I really like it, I had some issues with temperatures initially, but I've put everything under AIO's to sort that and now I'm super happy with it.

It does have a weird layout and I had literally the biggest GPU and PSU it's physically possible to fit in the case, so it's tight but JUST fits, fortunately! :)

Soldato
This is how it was before I replaced the AIO 1080ti with a hybrid one:

aK1Ryxp.jpg

This is how it is now (It's the same PSU btw... I just took changed the sticker lol):

VET2Snn.jpg

My PSU is 85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 180mm (L)

My GPU is 111.1mm (H) x 2 slot (W) x 266.7mm (L)

But my previous card was 148mm (H) x 43.5mm (W) x 300mm (L)

You will not fit a GPU this large with a PSU any longer than mine.

Soldato
If you wind up ordering one, I'll be interested to see how you get on. I basically went through the same list as you, except without the inverted layout requirement. Both Neo cases were on my short list. At 25.2 litres, they're the smallest ITX case I've seen with a traditional tower design.

What I really wanted was a Raijintek Metis revision 3, with 2 fan mounts in the roof, and a full tempered glass side panel. But sadly Raijintek still haven't made this happen :p

I bought an Inwin 301 in the end. It's an mATX case, but only marginally larger than the Metallic Gear (0.8 litres larger). Currently on offer at £46.99. The amount of space left when using an ITX board is mad.

VshcfEq_d.jpg

On my "to do" list; add some more fans (probably RGB), swap the CPU cooler out for something better, change the cables for white sleeved ones, possibly add an extra hard drive cage if I can find one that will mount to the bottom front 120mm fan bracket. I might look at adding a vertical GPU mount too (need to see how much space there is).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you wind up ordering one, I'll be interested to see how you get on. I basically went through the same list as you, except without the inverted layout requirement. Both Neo cases were on my short list. At 25.2 litres, they're the smallest ITX case I've seen with a traditional tower design.

If OCUK don't come through with stocking this case I'll just order from the big river, but I'll give them first refusal as I use this forum :p Space is at a premium but I don't really bother with bleeding edge overclocking these days, and would rather not deal with too many SFF issue either

Soldato
I had an SG13 before. Went bigger because I'd had enough of the nightmare that was cable management in that case. Plus, any time anything needed doing, the entire PC had to be taken apart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom