*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
Thank you gents.

Thats a real shame for Malt Vinegar, at least he can do it again i suppose.

I'll have a look at the app tonight, im confident on the theory side but I know the hazard perception is a bit odd.

Associate
What I found with the hazard perception when I did mine, was the 'hazard' is generally obvious before it's considered a hazard, the difficulty is getting the timing right on your clicks to satisfy the numpties. I found the best way to score the required points was to click when you see what is going to be the hazard, wait a second, click, and click again aiming for the 5 points, then click again for good measure.

As an example you see someone walking along the street, they turn towards the road, that's turned into a potential hazard in my opinion but it's not considered an actual hazard, so clicking now is 'too early' but I click, as they put one foot off the curb, I click again, as they enter the roadway I click again.

I felt the hazard perception was more learning and playing the game, than actual hazard perception. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Soldato
Yeah. I mean ive been driving for 19 years and im fully aware of hazards and perceived hazards. But i get what you mean about the whole thing, learning how the system works.

Im struggling on what jacket to get atm, ive been looking around for the last week or so but im not sure what to get.

I was thinking of the "Icon Tarmac Textile Jacket"

I like the look of some of the RST jackets and some of the Revit ones as well. I have no idea to be honest, i dont like jackets with loads of writing and graphics all over it. Anyone got any pointers at all ? My budget is up to £300.00 but if i can get something decent for less that would be good.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Munchies is spot on about the hazards.
They are only considered hazards once you would be forced to consider reacting.
I found it a bit annoying, but the practise apps help with working it out. Just do a LOT of clips and get used to the way they expect you to click.
If you are like me, I was clicking WELL before the window, and had to slow down and operate a 3 click process for each hazard.
Passed first time in the end, despite getting a 0 points on one clip for clicking too much!

How did you get on fella ?

Yup, not great. Still, more to learn, already taken a lot from it. Waiting for the next date!

Soldato
I felt the hazard perception was more learning and playing the game, than actual hazard perception. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

I fully agree. I scored 0 on one of the clips because I clicked too early and didn't click again a I figured it was covered because I'd spotted the hazard early enough, apparently not. I still passed fine though so I guess it's not all bad. It is silly though, you can see that someone/some thing is going to be a hazard way off but you have to indicate at the 'right' time instead. The nice thing about the above apps is that you run through the clip, clicking/tapping when you feel it's right, then afterwards it plays the clip back with your clicks/taps and when they expect you to have spotted things so you can gauge as to when you should be clicking/tapping.

Im struggling on what jacket to get atm, ive been looking around for the last week or so but im not sure what to get.

I was thinking of the "Icon Tarmac Textile Jacket"

I like the look of some of the RST jackets and some of the Revit ones as well. I have no idea to be honest, i dont like jackets with loads of writing and graphics all over it. Anyone got any pointers at all ? My budget is up to £300.00 but if i can get something decent for less that would be good.

I went for the RST Blade 2 having tried a few on in store and finding it the most comfortable with good protection for non eye watering money (I was budgeting around £350-£500 for boots, trousers, jacket and gloves).
To be honest, the best bet, imo is to go into a local store and try out the gear there as you'll get a better look at it all and find out what does/doesn't fit well. I tried on some Alpine gear and found it wasn't as comfortable or easy to move in as the RST (which is still restricted due to armour etc.) but it was something like 2 times the price of the RST gear which didn't feel justified to me at all.
Your mini profile thing doesn't say where you are in the country but have a look for somewhere like J&S locally or just Google "motorcycle gear _town name_" as that seems to bring up a half decent list for me. :D

Soldato

Yeah that makes the most sense to be honest. Im in the middle of Dorset and there are a few places nearby in Bournemouth of even Helmet City in West bay. I suppose in a way its all well and good looking online but i need to get in a shop and try a few on to see what i think. Ive been watching hours and hours of motorbike videos on youtube over the last few weeks, i havent even bought a bike yet, but i have some ideas in mind :D:D

Soldato
Yeah that makes the most sense to be honest. Im in the middle of Dorset and there are a few places nearby in Bournemouth of even Helmet City in West bay. I suppose in a way its all well and good looking online but i need to get in a shop and try a few on to see what i think. Ive been watching hours and hours of motorbike videos on youtube over the last few weeks, i havent even bought a bike yet, but i have some ideas in mind :D:D

Yup, you can always then go buy online later if cheaper elsewhere but at least then you know what fits as the gear can vary so much despite looking fairly similar.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's worth adding that most bike shops sell gear, and they'll give you discount on items if you've bought the bike through them.

My local shop gives me 20% off gear which is worth the trip :)

Soldato
I've bought almost all my gear through sportsbikeshop and i'll buy two sizes of helmet, gloves, jacket etc and send one or both back if needed, they deal with returns and refunds very quickly.

Soldato
YAAAAAAAY and thank **** for that.

Passed with 45/50 for multiple choice & 59/75 for the Hazard perception.

I honestly honestly thought i cocked up the multiple choice. Phew.

Soldato
Gah unfortunately i haven't booked it yet. A few unexpected bills has put the lessons back a while. Im hoping to sort something byt the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

Associate
Congrats. This time of year you may have trouble booking your practicals, once the sun starts coming out, the trainers all pre-book tests before they have someone to sit them, at least that's how it used to be. So might be an idea to book in advance if you aren't going through a riding school for your test.

Soldato
Well done!, it's a shame you don't have a bike ready to go, i just had to get out riding straight away after i passed even though the weather was rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom