TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
To pay it in my bank I now have a 20mile car trip to park and ride - then another 20 minute bus ride which drops me right out side my nearest bank (all local ones have shut down) and repeat trip backuds.

Personally, I'd cycle the round trip. Fresh air and exercise - win-win, happy days.

Associate
The real crime is that people are forced to pay for the BBC even if they choose to not watch it lest they are labelled a criminal

The license is an outdated model and needs to be gotten rid of and have the BBC either die or evolve to modern times

If I could like this post I would.

Why do we have to pay the BBC if all we do is watch ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5...

Soldato
Personally, I'd cycle the round trip. Fresh air and exercise - win-win, happy days.

When you are 75 I will be long gone but I would like you to promise me when you get to 75 you will cycle a route 20 miles each way. Remember now - never let it out of your mind that you are a hero. :) Do it for me.

Soldato

Why do we have to pay the BBC if all we do is watch ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5...

That's like saying why do you need to pay full council tax when you don't have any kids or use the local swimming pool. The fact is, the BBC is available for you to use and enjoy.

And it isn't just a TV service.

The criteria for a TV licence isn't based on which channels you watch, even if you think that's what the criteria should be.

Caporegime

You aren't paying the BBC though.

The tv license helps fund the BBC but you are paying for the right to watch broadcast tv or iplayer.

So that is why you have tv licenses.

Some people though think road tax still exists and is for fixing roads. Much like people think tv licencse is for BBC. it's hardly surprising though that the correlation between those that don't pay also are uneducated on the facts regarding it.

Associate
That's like saying why do you need to pay full council tax when you don't have any kids or use the local swimming pool. The fact is, the BBC is available for you to use and enjoy.

And it isn't just a TV service.

The criteria for a TV licence isn't based on which channels you watch, even if you think that's what the criteria should be.

Had this discussion with the wife, why do we pay council tax ( other than it includes water rates in Scotland and gets our bins emptied) we still have to pay to use all other council services. Unless we are paying bums that don't work to be able to use the facilities that they don't get charged for such as Gyms and swimming baths. Or is it the police that are next to useless for anything other than protecting the local nuclear site which doesn't generate power or provide large scale jobs anymore, or the fire services that are virtually non existant except for volunteers. I suppose it does depend on where you live but asfaik it's just a wallet rape tax. I'd be more than happy to dispose of my own rubbish at my expense and pay water rates seperatly as they do in England

Caporegime
Had this discussion with the wife, why do we pay council tax ( other than it includes water rates in Scotland and gets our bins emptied) we still have to pay to use all other council services. Unless we are paying bums that don't work to be able to use the facilities that they don't get charged for such as Gyms and swimming baths. Or is it the police that are next to useless for anything other than protecting the local nuclear site which doesn't generate power or provide large scale jobs anymore, or the fire services that are virtually non existant except for volunteers. I suppose it does depend on where you live but asfaik it's just a wallet rape tax. I'd be more than happy to dispose of my own rubbish at my expense and pay water rates seperatly as they do in England

Council tax is a tax on domestic property collected by your local council. The council use it to pay for local services such as schools, rubbish collection, roads and street lighting. In Scotland it also includes a charge for water and sewerage.

you think lighting up all the streets in your city is cheap?

oh but wait you don't use them? without them it would be like living in africa. go there then and don't pay it.

Soldato
I'd be more than happy to dispose of my own rubbish at my expense and pay water rates seperatly as they do in England

You'd be happy to transport your own rubbish on a weekly basis? In what, your car? A trailer? And where would you take it?

I'm sorry, but you're being ridiculous with that and it only highlights how essential the service is even if the method of funding is up for debate (council tax - poll tax - local income tax etc..)

Your argument for not paying your council tax is just as weak as the argument for not paying the TV licence fee. I've had similar conversations with people (Ltd. Company) who think they shouldn't pay income tax.

It's generally based on selfish entitlement.

Associate
When you are 75 I will be long gone but I would like you to promise me when you get to 75 you will cycle a route 20 miles each way. Remember now - never let it out of your mind that you are a hero. :) Do it for me.

I will do this. Only 23 years to go ;)

Back
Top Bottom