Will OCUK build a different spec for me?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've looked through the various potential system builds that I could order. Can't really seem to see what I'm looking for.

If I present a spec, and build up the components, are OCUK happy to build it for say the component costs + £ whatever we agree?

In short, what I'm looking for is:
Air cooled, but capable of overclocking
390 chipset motherboard, preferably Gigabyte
32GB ram (2 x16GB)
Full tower case. The Phanteks look OK. I have zero interest in it looking flashy. If anything RGB lighting would put me off
750w plat power supply
Optical drive
x1 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
x1 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Windows 10

I already have a 1080, which I'll be putting in the new unit.

From what I can see, I can buy the above separately for around £1400, but that's with me building it. My current PC is from OCUK and assuming the cost is sensible, I'd rather give the business to OCUK than someone else.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Yep very much like that. The key differences being that I’d prefer a full tower case, and would take a Samsung 500GB 970 instead of the Corsair.

Soldato
Yep very much like that. The key differences being that I’d prefer a full tower case, and would take a Samsung 500GB 970 instead of the Corsair.

full tower , guessing you've got a lot of HDD ? or just personal tastes

damn nice case but cost an arm and a leg

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £403.08 (includes shipping: £23.10)​

If your doing 100% Pure gaming, NVMe are a massive waste - and his is coming from someone that gets Samsung NVMe drives for free !

roughly same price would rather pick up 2tb and 1tb units

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for your thoughts and comments, much appreciated.

I currently have a midi tower case, and have always hated working inside such a small space whenever I've looked at graphics cards and similar. On top of that, yep, have accrued a fair few HDDs.
I was looking at one of the Phantek full towers, which appear to be substantially more sensibly priced.

Surprised by your comments on NVME2 drives. I got the impression that they would be a good thing with their faster read speeds. They certainly seemed faster with Windows, though being fair, I've not seen many benchmarks showing improvements with speeds in gaming. Was a bit confused about that.

Soldato
Thanks for your thoughts and comments, much appreciated.

I currently have a midi tower case, and have always hated working inside such a small space whenever I've looked at graphics cards and similar. On top of that, yep, have accrued a fair few HDDs.
I was looking at one of the Phantek full towers, which appear to be substantially more sensibly priced.

Surprised by your comments on NVME2 drives. I got the impression that they would be a good thing with their faster read speeds. They certainly seemed faster with Windows, though being fair, I've not seen many benchmarks showing improvements with speeds in gaming. Was a bit confused about that.

I will note two games where its quicker, 3D Mark and Battletech . one being a bench and takes a good while on standrad ssd to load and battletech is just heavy at loading assets .
Windows they are a good platform and yeah, grab a single 500gb for OS and other applications, they stick your games on a 2TB drive . Best of both worlds, a fast Core drive which everything is based around and then a large SSD disk for games which now are eating a lot of disk space . Just did Anno 1800 and surprised is was 22GB - wonder how much MOD content will bring that up to haha

some midi desktop cases have vastly improved . Pure base 600 in my mind and Phanteks M are boardline full tower .

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
For anyone else who's interested in the answer to my question, I contacted OCUK yesterday and have agreed a spec, to include the above mentioned charge for build. I'm a very happy bunny!

Soldato
For anyone else who's interested in the answer to my question, I contacted OCUK yesterday and have agreed a spec, to include the above mentioned charge for build. I'm a very happy bunny!

nice, what case did you go with in the end ? bit of a mine field as so many now but a lot dropping support for 5.3" bays !

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I went with a few changes:
- Phantek Enthoo pro (the one with the big fans). As you say, it's nearly as big as a full tower
- Superflower plat power supply
- 500GB 970 for Windows and DCS, 1TB 860 for other games, 4TB HDD for general guff
- 64GB of RAM. I was originally planning 32GB, but frankly, RAM is not THAT expensive, and it will ensure no future compatibility issues. No, I have no need for that much yet, as even DCS doesn't use more than 32GB, but this will definitely give me breathing room, and I'll get to play with RAMdrives

Soldato
I went with a few changes:
- Phantek Enthoo pro (the one with the big fans). As you say, it's nearly as big as a full tower
- Superflower plat power supply
- 500GB 970 for Windows and DCS, 1TB 860 for other games, 4TB HDD for general guff
- 64GB of RAM. I was originally planning 32GB, but frankly, RAM is not THAT expensive, and it will ensure no future compatibility issues. No, I have no need for that much yet, as even DCS doesn't use more than 32GB, but this will definitely give me breathing room, and I'll get to play with RAMdrives

would have personally have gone for Corsair. 10yr warranty VS 5 yrs of Superflower. I know you've got 3 years system collect but part orders will still keep their full warranty, just you'll have to sort it out.
Corsair rep @CorsairChris has stated they don't fix PSUs but just flat out replace them !

For price of 64ram over 32gb, would have personally pushed 9900k - but ramdisk would be fun if you've got the space , if your loading 4 dimm slots then would recommend Aorus boards for better tracing designs, even Master - their flagship main stream board .

Guessing its 3000hz ram ?

if OCUK arent overclocking and dont want to play around with overclocking. just enable MCE- multi core enhancement and should run all cores at 4.9ghz with that Cooler and board just fine

Soldato

Awesome. How much did they charge? I might try and do that for my next rig as building it was a pain in the ass.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Well that was fast. Just had confirmation that the unit shipped and will be arriving today.
Does OCUK not allow their colleagues to have an Easter break?
It's going to be a busy night...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Sweet ! Get a snap up when your all set up :)
Hope you enjoy the rig

The case is just a bog standard Phantek unit, with no window or flashy LEDs (just not my cup of tea). So it's not going to look anything special
I will however have a 9700k, 64GB of RAM, 500GB NVME2 drive, 1TB SSD, 4TB hard HDD and then have my 1080 fitted. Then it gets plumbed into my flight sim rig with the VPC HOTAS, MFG pedals and Rift HMD.

Doesn't half seem like a lot of dosh just to be able to fly an F18 in DCS...

Back
Top Bottom