• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU market prices

Soldato
Minings supposed to be going to boom again, if it hasn't started to already.

Yup. All hush-hush right now but the Radeon VII in particular I expect to see mostly out of stock as everyone from miners to content creators to scientists buy them all up. It might not be much better than a 2080 for gaming, but it's damn near unbeatable in many other scenarios, couple that with limited numbers of the cards...

I would've loved to do a Radeon VII crossfire & watercooled, the 16gb of vram is sorely underestimated, but alas, no HDMI 2.1 means it's all a bit wasted for me.

Soldato
You’ve answered your own question really. Two ‘If’s’ in your first sentence alone. What If you don’t get a good card what if you can’t/don’t improve cooling then your right back at stage one.

What if you buy a cheaper card with better performance and you don’t need to mod it?

It was an either/or.
Some are fine, most are fine with a tweak.

Let's ignore the main part of the point though? Said as a 2080ti owner so... it's not from a position of wishing my card was faster. It's objective.
They're as good as a 2080.

If we're going with if's there's all the 20xx series with memory issues... No need to be obtuse.

Soldato
Anyone smart will always buy a graphics suited to their monitors. Prices are subjective to your income tbh but even in a perfect world anything close to 2080ti prices is just damn greedy.

Ray tracing and DLSS is a bust (well at the moment it is anyway).

So why anyone would want to drop £1k+ to upgrade to a 2080ti is beyond me unless they need higher 4k FPS performance right now.
Personally I will wait for the 2080ti to drop to around the £600 mark, and if it never does then I guess I will not be owning one.

The time 4k 144hz gaming goes mainstream we will be looking at a new generation of graphics cards to drive those panels consistently above 100fps anyway.

E.G the smart move is to give this first generation of RTX a miss imho.

Soldato
Ray tracing seems to me a way of resetting gpu's and forcing us to wait and pay to get a graphics card capable of not being crippled by the RTX technology.
If RTX cores actually boosted framerates with Ray tracing enabled I could potentially see the cost bump.
Be years before Ray tracing is the norm and when it is, something else will cripple the framerates and the circle continues.. Price you pay for technological improvements.

Soldato
I would have thought they'd come down by now.

Is there still no affordable ultrae wide 1440p card?

I REALLY want to build a second rig and get a monitor but i cant bring myself to drop £700-800 on a graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom