Free VPN to use in China for a couple of days?

Soldato
Any free options people can vouch for?
Only really want to have a google of a few things, social media for half an hour a day or so.
I don't mind signing up and paying for a 1 month package or something if both me and the OH can use it.

Cheers guys

Soldato
OP
So I need to turn Dynamic DNS on. Then it says
' You'll first need to register with a service provider. The service provider will send you the information that you'll need to set up your BT Smart Hub (including your service username, password and host name).'

That's not BT then?

Associate
I just got back from a 2 week trip to Shanghai; I started using off using 'private internet access (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com)' but after a couple of days every server gradually became 'unavailable', I can only assume as they were detected and locked down. Seems VPNs are now illegal unless officially sanctioned, or point to point as opposed to a 'service'.

On the bright side my UK sim had full access and 4G was pretty quick some of the time, and data on 02 travel was about a fiver a day.

All in internet access was frustrating, so good luck.

Might as well pay for a decent one to have permanently because you'll probably need it in the UK one of these days. :o

I used NordVPN, but it isn't free.

Another NordVPN user here, i use it to watch all the UK telly, and obviosly browse anonymously :D

Another +1 for NordVPN. £90 for 3 years but you get half of it back as cashback.

Plus, we'll all be needing a VPN more and more in this country as Ingsoc continues to close in on the net.

Soldato
Opera browser beta has built in vpn, you can select where you want to appear to be from. Not sure if it will work in China but maybe worth a consideration

0UGEmeo.png

Associate
I second peeps saying set it up via your home. I'm personally quite suspicious of either Free VPN's and TOR. Free VPN's are always a bit of a question over their motive, as for TOR, it's often fine, but I have heard some horror stories.

As for setting it up, many routers support it out of the box, if not you might to run a low power device something like a pi on your network to do the business.
Here's a random youtube tutorial for the PI vpn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VjDVCISj0.

Soldato
Literally, have any of you guys read or grasped the OP? It's like someone has asked what to cook for dinner and you've sent him on a 5 day intensive cookery course with various options as to student loans and financing.

Back
Top Bottom